Newbie,new Cycle, New Found,need Help

lastduke

Reaction score
I am new here, this is my first post. I know you will blame me because I started with a nano fish only tank (20g). LFS told me if you can handle this tank, you can handle any size as you want.
New tank was set up around 1 week ago and started the cycle with two suicide Damsel. The fish looks good, but I found the white dots on their fins.
The chemical cycle was measure as below today,
PH: 7.8 PH, dropped for some reason, maybe evaporation increased the acid concentration, didn't it?
Ammonia 0.25ppm-0ppm, dropped very quickly because I put a bag of bateria which was recommended by lfs.
Nitrite 1ppm
Nitrate near 10ppm, i am pretty worry about this. any sugguestion?

the white dots on their fins like the picture, what is the name of this disease? what should I do? what kind of drag I should buy?
whitedot.jpg
please ignore the tiny bubbles.

I appreciate your any help.

Duke

Looks like Ammonia/Nitrite burns. Probably due to using fish to cycle the tank... Modern marine setups use Live Rock to first cycle the tank and then filter it. The process is WAY better than the practice of using fish to cycle a tank. Your pH crash is likely due to elevated CO2 in the water from the stressed fish.

I'd reccomend reading through the stickies atop this section, especially the few about wanting to start your own marine tank, will help you out a lot :good:

Thank you for SkiFletch's reply, lfs suggested me to use a couple fish to start the cycle instead of live rock, because the live rock is more picky for the water chemical than the damsels, that was what he told me.
BTW, I'd like to keep a couple cheap fish in the tank. That makes the cycling not that boring.:p I am reading that articals......

Do we need to buy some drug for that white dots?

Ammonia/Nitrite burns are just that, chemical burns. As such, something like Melafix might lessen the irritation and help the damsels heal themselves.

But fish still feel pain and get stressed and die. :huh: My understanding of a fish's feeling in a cycling tank is like a burn, but one that stings... and stings... and stings... until the ammonia and nitrite are zero, or until the fish dies. So you don't think that's cruel at all, huh? :huh:

And with saltwater fish it's worse. Saltwater fish put a lot more of the surrounding water in their blood than freshwater fish. So imagine your blood boiling, than stinging you. Plus, the fish can't do anything about it.

EDIT: Sorry, I know that's kinda harsh, but it really is cruel...

But fish still feel pain and get stressed and die. :huh: My understanding of a fish's feeling in a cycling tank is like a burn, but one that stings... and stings... and stings... until the ammonia and nitrite are zero, or until the fish dies. So you don't think that's cruel at all, huh? :huh:

And with saltwater fish it's worse. Saltwater fish put a lot more of the surrounding water in their blood than freshwater fish. So imagine your blood boiling, than stinging you. Plus, the fish can't do anything about it.

EDIT: Sorry, I know that's kinda harsh, but it really is cruel...

Yes,you guys are right, I am such cruel to my first two damsels, I am going to take shower with the water in my cycling tank tonight...........
Dose my health insurance covering my white dots on my body?

Yes, you should take a shower with that tank water, and i'm not buying your insurance. You are, so don't ask me. As soon as your done showering with your water, you need to scrub your self with a towel really hard to irritate the skin, then repeat. When your done, pee all over your carpet, then don't change it.

See if you like it. :p

Not responsible for faulty insurance either, any good company should cover that.

To stop be cruel, I bought "seachem cupramine" to cure the white dots on their fins which was identified as parasite by a lfs.
He told me the seachem cupramine will not stop my cycle.
any idea where I can buy the test kit to test concentration of Cu? Please give me a link.

I removed the active carbon from the filter head, I hope I did a right thing.

Thanks for giving me the suggestion in my post here.

It being a FO nano isan't why you are being cruel. I have a 12 gallon FO nano tank and i waited 3 weeks and added a tomato clown, then 2 weeks later everything was fine (and still is) so i got a firefish. I did use some nutrafin cycle that i brought for my FW tank but it didn't need, and im sure that stuff works because both fish are feeding well on flakes and are fine with their health.

A 20 FO can be done if you just want a few fish, give the fish back to the LFS (if they will take them now) and give the tank a few more weeks to get itself together. Then add 1 fish and see how that goes if the water is ok. I just use a fuval (sp) 3 filter and a refugium thats im about to fill with macro algaes.

Im sure this is a joke, because anyone who cares about their fish wouldn't have such a joke of an attitude with them about the shower. It really isan't funny. Its people like you that get people like me slated for having a nano FO.

I guess good fish just happen to bad aquarists then!

If its ammonia burns, the treatment is prolly for white spot or something. Taking the AC out of the filter is correct.

I really do suggest you return them to the LFS surely there care is better than being burned and also you should re-think and see if you actually want to care for them or what.

I have been a bit OTT and i really do hope you care about your fish and i can see you are atleast trying to help them.

Betta, good suggestion. I will call lfs to see you will accept the fish return or not.

I monitor the chemical (ph,ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) every two days. It looks not bad, the amonia is close to 0, nitrite is lower than 1.5ppm, nitrate is kind of high between 5-10ppm in the first couple weeks.
Does this water condition make the fish burned?

I used the freezing bacteria to initialize the cycle, the lfs told me it will be fine to put the fish in there.

Attachments

• cycle.JPG
    cycle.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 23

Most reactions

Back