Newbie Needs Help

What was your exact readings at the lfs.

If you listen to the lfs it may well end in trouble,has already mentioned your filter WONT cycle in just 2 weeks,so if you take what lfs says you will end up with more dead fish.

Keep doing daily water changes to keep the fish alive then when you get your testing kit and test the water we will be able to see where you're at in your cycle.

But believe me unless you've put mature media in your filter you will not be cycled yet.

Your filter sounds has though its in the right position to allow for oxygen exchange.

The water dont suddenly turn itself around,its the filter that cycles by building up with enough good bacteria that will eventually handle the bio load of the fish without having to do daily waterchanges.
You will know when you are cycled,probably in a months time when you can test for continuous 7 days of zero readings of ammonia & nitrite without having to do a waterchange within them 7 days.

Sorry if i come across has harsh,but we have so many peeps come here after listening to the lfs (and thinks its gospel)and end up in a whole heap of trouble and eventually losing their fish to an untimely and horrid end of being poisoned by ammonia &/or Nitrite.

I haven't got my testing kit yet so don't understand it all properly but on the charts that he went by they have almost reached the top which is what he said I am aiming for before adding more fish.

Should I ask him to check for oxygen in my water......can this be done ??? I don't have a air flow but I have a filter pump that ripples the water to cause bubbles if that makes sense.

I thin you said you have a 45 litre tank which is about 10 gallons where I come from. In a tank this small its not an absolute must that you have an air pump (although I have one in mine because I like the bubbles). The filter that you have should be enough to add oxygen to the water as long as it is creating movement on the surface of the water. I've read on here that its not necessary to see actual bubbles to know you're getting oxygen.

All that to say, I wouldn't worry about your oxgen levels right now. When you get your liquid test kit, you can test for the things that really matter right now: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If the local fish store can't give you specifics on these numbers then they are not being very helpful to you. The best thing is to get the test kit for yourself and only go back to the store when its time to replace your fish or get something that you've researched and you know you need.

Keep up your good work on the water changes and keep on asking questions!

I haven't got my testing kit yet so don't understand it all properly but on the charts that he went by they have almost reached the top which is what he said I am aiming for before adding more fish.

Should I ask him to check for oxygen in my water......can this be done ??? I don't have a air flow but I have a filter pump that ripples the water to cause bubbles if that makes sense.

I thin you said you have a 45 litre tank which is about 10 gallons where I come from. In a tank this small its not an absolute must that you have an air pump (although I have one in mine because I like the bubbles). The filter that you have should be enough to add oxygen to the water as long as it is creating movement on the surface of the water. I've read on here that its not necessary to see actual bubbles to know you're getting oxygen.

All that to say, I wouldn't worry about your oxgen levels right now. When you get your liquid test kit, you can test for the things that really matter right now: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If the local fish store can't give you specifics on these numbers then they are not being very helpful to you. The best thing is to get the test kit for yourself and only go back to the store when its time to replace your fish or get something that you've researched and you know you need.

Well have done another water change today and hopefully will get my water test kit in the post tomorrow or the day after .....it is on it's way.

Hopefully the instructions are going to be easy otherwise I wil be on here asking more help.

Once my tank is established how often do you check your water it this an ongoing thing ir just when you add fish.

And also once my tank is ready and I have added more fish, will the filter be able to cope with more fish waste or will I have to do daily water changes until it is coping with the added waste and readings are all back to zero.

[font="arial][size="2"]
Some people check once a day, but I think once you're established its a minimum of once a week or as you said after something major such as a water change or after adding fish.
There is a helpful guide on weekly aquarium maintenance on the beginners resource center:
[/size][/font]http://www.fishforum...howtopic=171045

[font="arial][size="2"]
Maintenance usually involves scraping algae, cleaning the gravel/sand/substrate, removing and replacing about 1/4 (25%) of the water, and, if necessary, cleaning filters
Make sure to read the instructions on cleaning filters - using plain untreated tap water can kill your beneficial bacteria.[/size][/font]

[font="arial] [/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="arial][size="2"]After some searching I found a decent video on the API Master Freshwater Test kits. This is the liquid test kit that is most recommended. Maybe it will help get you ready. Make sure you have annotations on because these help explain whats happening:[/size][/font]

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZXuDcs-Y5F0

Whenever you add fish it should be slowly (a couple at a time maybe) and you'll have to keep an eye on your test results. Should something like a mini-cycle occur then yes you would have to do a small water change until the filter is able to catch up with the new load. The cycle wont be as long though. Hopefully someone more experienced is reading who can back me up on this/better explain this.

[font="arial][size="2"]
Some people check once a day, but I think once you're established its a minimum of once a week or as you said after something major such as a water change or after adding fish.
There is a helpful guide on weekly aquarium maintenance on the beginners resource center:

[font="arial][size="2"]
Maintenance usually involves scraping algae, cleaning the gravel/sand/substrate, removing and replacing about 1/4 (25%) of the water, and, if necessary, cleaning filters
Make sure to read the instructions on cleaning filters - using plain untreated tap water can kill your beneficial bacteria.[/size][/font]

[color="#222222"][font="arial][size="2"]After some searching I found a decent video on the API Master Freshwater Test kits. This is the liquid test kit that is most recommended. Maybe it will help get you ready. Make sure you have annotations on because these help explain whats happening:[/size][/font]

Whenever you add fish it should be slowly (a couple at a time maybe) and you'll have to keep an eye on your test results. Should something like a mini-cycle occur then yes you would have to do a small water change until the filter is able to catch up with the new load. The cycle wont be as long though. Hopefully someone more experienced is reading who can back me up on this/better explain this.

Thanks for that, I have ordered the API test kit so that's good to know, didn't do well in chemistry at school so glad to be able to get some help. I have seen posts on here saying stuff like >0.0 and the likes so I guess this will all be explained when I get my kit.

I think the LFS is just realising my lack of knowledge at the moment by saying this should turn yellow, this should turn green. When I get my kit I will do a home test and then get him to do one to make sure that i am doing it right and get him to explain it to me in more depth.

I have orderd some books off of Amazon so I am learning slowly....but enjoying it....thanks to all you pro's for your help with us poor novices...we don't mean to get it wrong

[font="arial][size="2"]

[font="arial][size="2"]

Thanks for that, I have ordered the API test kit so that's good to know, didn't do well in chemistry at school so glad to be able to get some help. I have seen posts on here saying stuff like >0.0 and the likes so I guess this will all be explained when I get my kit.

I think the LFS is just realising my lack of knowledge at the moment by saying this should turn yellow, this should turn green. When I get my kit I will do a home test and then get him to do one to make sure that i am doing it right and get him to explain it to me in more depth.

I have orderd some books off of Amazon so I am learning slowly....but enjoying it....thanks to all you pro's for your help with us poor novices...we don't mean to get it wrong

OK just watched that clip.....great, thanks, feel more confident now ...especially as my finger nails are nowhere as long as hers :lol:

[font="arial][size="2"]

[font="arial][size="2"]

OK just watched that clip.....great, thanks, feel more confident now ...especially as my finger nails are nowhere as long as hers :lol:

Just performed today's water change and I have noticed a build up of slime on the heater's suckers and on the plants.......surely that is not right....or is it ???

A bit of slime is perfectly normal; it's just a mixture of algae and bacteria called a 'biofilm' and is nothing to worry about. For some unknown reason it does really like heater suckers :huh:

It's up to you; if you wipe it off, it'll probably come back though :)

Well I went to the LFS for another water test and my amonia was down to 0 and the nitrite was almost 0 so he said I could replace my 2 danios that I lost and wait another week before I can add some more community fish.

Well 2 hours later and my original golden Danio is still chasing my new zebra Danio round the tank crazily and it looks like it is trying to nip it's fin.....

Is it usual when you add new fish for a bit of banter, I don't want my new fish being stressed out

Most reactions

Back