Newbie Here - Cycling Diary!

Typical, one of our Mollies chooses this moment to release another batch of fry! :rolleyes:
That's going to make our other two 10 gal tanks a bit cosy! :lol:

And so, the cycle takes another turn!
I intended on draining & starting again this weekend. Think the tank heard me!
From a near flatline, processing 1ppm ammonia in a fortnight, to dropping 3ppm in 24 hours with a decent Nitrite climb to boot!
On day 25, when I noticed ammonia was down to 1ppm, I topped it up to 5ppm with my new ammonia source (Jeyes KleenOff). Maybe the new ammonia was the key.
I'll hang back now & see how this goes. If it takes off well, then I guess that means the 'Kilrock Household Ammonia' is a no-no.
:huh: :lol:

Yeah, you can say that again!!
And it now seems to be moving at a pace!! :blink:
Topped up the ammonia to 5ppm last night, tested tonight, and it's gone!! 0ppm!!
Nitrite up too, and Nitrate is climbing!

After the crap week I have had, you don't know how good that makes me feel!! :blush: :good:

Also took delivery of some new tankmates today, some albino BN plec fry. So small, barely over a cm in lenght! :lol:

Really flying now, which seems so odd after such an extended period of nothingness!
Yesterday evenings 5ppm ammonia fully processed by tonight.
(Actually, I tested it this morning out of interest, 12 hours on, and it was virtually clear).
Nitrite didn't even register on tonight's test, so whatever would have been created processing that ammo, also got processed in under 24 hours!

:good:

Hi Dave,

Cycling can do things like that occassionally. Nothing at all for ages and then everything at once.

Looks good that your ammonia and nitrite is processing in 12 hours. If you can do that for 7 days in a row, you're ready to add fish. :good:

^_^
I'm itching to get the fish moved over, so am keeping fingers crossed!

Being rehomed will be:

4 x Mollies
2 x Platies
2 x Glass Catfish
2 x Penguin Tetra
1 x Albino BN Plec

Any ideas as to wether I can (after a period of settling down) increase the stock? If so, what would be good compatible tankmates?

Cheers!
Dave

The Glass Cats are very finiky fish, and want to be added to a mature system. They can be difficult to feed if they are in the majority that are wild caught, often only taking either live of frozen foods also... I would recomend waiting untill you have had fish in for at least 6 months before you add them :nod:

This said, if am I right in thinking this was an up-grade, and hence why those are being moved across? If you are closing down the old tank, you may have to move the established filter across with them for a good chance of success with the GC's :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Yep, an upgrade. Was going to close down the old tank as it is badly scratched & doesn't look particularly nice.
I could move the media across in a net bag, as it's currently an in-hood filter system.

Then again, I could just move leave the cats in & use it as a fry tank for a while! That might be the best plan.

Almost there. ^_^
Ammo & Nitrite consistently clearing down to 0ppm in 24 hours.

Did a 12 hour spot check this morning:
From last night's 5ppm, Ammo is down to 0ppm.
Nitrite at 1ppm.

So although it's fine in 24 hours, there's still too much at the 12 hour stage.

I think that i'll start routinely doing a 12-hour check now.
Hopefully this will settle quickly.

WooHoo!! Now we are rolling!! :yahoo:
Ammonia clearing fully from 5ppm to 0ppm in under 12 hours, and absolutely no trace of Nitrite at t he 12 hour mark either!!

I make that time to start qualifying! :good:

Sounds cycled to me.

Good luck with the qualifying.

Yey for you fish are soon to be swimmng happily in a well cycled tank.

P.S. Love the spreadsheet :good:

CHEERS
Thommo

Most reactions

Back