New Ultra High Tec System

pscl227

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Well i figure ive finally got a job that pays very well, so to reward myself it is time to get the tank of my dreams!

So I am putting together a comprehensive purchase list, and would like some input from the forum since this is my first salty buy!

Here is what i think i need, just need some reccomendations on brands and possible links:

-Red sea max 250 tank
-High power LED lighting system
-power heads
-Digital control & monitoring system
-auto top up system
-calcium reactor
-uv steraliser
-comprehensive test kit
-best quality live rock & sand

I want to give the tank tha absolute best shot at life, so no corners cut, but i would also like to as far as possible minimize the impact its impact on the enviroment. So tank bred fish are a must as far as possible, as are british grown coral frags.

Thoughts feelings opinions please!

Cheers,

Paul

id go balling instead of a calcium reactor if you are splashing out

and i wouldnt go LEDs either, id probably get an ati T5 unit.

other then that it sounds good. im not a fan of red sea max tanks though, they are pricey and you could get a better more customised set up buying all bits individually.

other then that it sounds good. im not a fan of red sea max tanks though, they are pricey and you could get a better more customised set up buying all bits individually.

the only reason i am saying LED is becuase i saw one in action recently and the water had a "sparkle" to it i had never really seen before. do you think T5's would give my system a better chance at life, or is it purly becuase of your own taste?

If you can reccomend a better tank, then go for it my max size i want is ~280 litres

Also do you have any links to a resource on balling, not really familiar with the concept.

the only reason i am saying LED is becuase i saw one in action recently and the water had a "sparkle" to it i had never really seen before. do you think T5's would give my system a better chance at life, or is it purly becuase of your own taste?

If you can reccomend a better tank, then go for it my max size i want is ~280 litres

Also do you have any links to a resource on balling, not really familiar with the concept.

The reason i say not to get LEDS is becase to keep all types of coral the amount you need costs far more than any other lighting type and you can end up fairly near the wattage of the other types aswel not saving you much electric. If you like the shimmer effect then id possibly go with metal halides with a couple of blue tmc LED stips to add the shimmer.

Look at Godiva tanks and sumps. This way you could taylor the equipment exactly to what you ant to keep.

The balling method is more accurate than running a calcium reactor. if your looking at a computer to conrol your equipment aswel this would link perfectly, you could get the GHL computer and their dosing unit. You do tests to see what your tank loses elements wise over 24/4 hours then set up a dosing pump to dose that amount back in ovr the course of a day. So you could dose small amounts 10 times a day meaning your water parameters should always be really stable enabling you to get maximum growth from your corals. You have to adjust the dosing amounts every couple of months as your corals grow out but its not too hard. Calcium reactors are fiddely and a PITA fro PH swings IMO

cheers ben that was a really useful post!

Whats the consensus on chiller units, are they considered a worthwhile component given the UK climate?

cheers ben that was a really useful post!

Whats the consensus on chiller units, are they considered a worthwhile component given the UK climate?

it really depends on the room and what lighting you do go for. if the room gets warm in summer, say if its a fairly small room then a chiller is a good idea. Halides get warmer than T5s and LEDs so that would come into consideration there too. I run halides and have never needed a chiller though, i open the windows and have a fan blsting over the waters surface on hot days and that does a good enough job of keeping it cool in my house.

oh well, might as well add it to the list along with an RO unit, just one less thing to worry about, and another process that can be automated.

Can anyone reccomend some books or online resources i can get reading just now before i finalize my list?

I agree with Ben on a few of the items there, The Godiva tank is a better option than the RSM, personal preference I suppose. GHL controller, definately, It's a very comprehensive piece of kit and can also control Koralia power heads with the additional wave unit.

For powerheads I would go for Vortech MP40's but like I said above the GHL unit has the option of controlling Koralia's so you may find that a nicer set up.

The GHL will also look after the Auto top up I believe.

For lighting I would go for a custom built LED set up to suit the tank of choice.

As for a good resource, it's all here on TFF, http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/286583-marine-and-reef-resource-centre/

if you got a red sea max then why would you change the lighting? it has a good lighting unit built in. but if you are ati units all the way

Just some prices I found doing a quick Google search...
Red sea max 250 £1249 {the web} :hyper: :crazy:
Custom 36x24x24 tank cabinet and sump /open top £ 478 {AC aquatics} :good:

IMO I would go with a custom tank and sump then add the equipment to suite the type of tank I was going to have :nod:
e.g. soft corals or sps/lps. That way you know you’re going to have the best possible chance of success with the correct equipment for the job :good:
Just to give you some ideas my list of equipment would possibly go some think like this :drool:

{Sps tank 40x turn over flow}

Custom 36x24x24 tank cabinet and sump
Ehium compact 5000 return pump or ocean runner 6500 T off to supply feeds for reactors.
A custom 3 litre reactor running bio pellets {pm me for details if need be} £93 or deltec reactor£££
A TLF 150 reactor running Rowa phos
Bubble magus 150 pro skimmer £210 imported from HK or deltec apf600 £369
Atc 800+ temp controller ££ or ghl controller £££
2x heaters
Azoo aquarium cooling fan {cool breeze 6 ££} or chillier £££
GHL Profilux Stand Alone Dosing Pumps or bubble magus stand alone dosing pump {X3 pump models}
Tunze 6055 power heads x2 or a vortech mp 40 and an mp20
Tunze 6091 controller {for the tunze power heads}
Tunze auto top off
250w halide and 2 x aqua rays or Ati sun power light
If you go for the ghl profilux controller you won’t need the stand alone tunze top up/ tunze 6091/atc 800+ or the stand alone ghl profilux dosing pumps as they can all be controlled on the ghl profilux controller, also if you where to get a ati sun power unit then it can also be controlled {sun rise sun set ect ect} but IMO if the ghl goes down then you’re in the poo as its controlling every think :/ so me personally I would go for the stand alone stuff {properly work out cheaper as well

PS second hand is the way to go in this hobby :nod: you will save £££ of pounds!! Take a look over on UR in the classified section :hey:

Most reactions

Back