New to this

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
Hi there,
Nice to meet you all. When I was very young my dad had a large aquarium which we used to love to watch. Get really excited to see little baby’s only to wonder what happened to them and which fish was really the evil one eating them! Dad eventually refused to turn the light on because of the algae and lost interest. Well I am now in the process of starting up a new tank, hopefully learning quickly enough along the way. It’s just under 30 gallons and looking good but a bit sterile at the moment. It’s been set up a week but not sure how long to wait before adding fish. I’ve used water conditioner and plant nutrient so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpeg
    IMG_0107.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to to forum :hi:

Nice looking tank! The size will give you plenty of options for stocking especially nano fish. I would advise in purchasing a test kit ideally a liquid one so you can get a better understanding of your water parameters and whether or not it's safe for fish at the current time :). -

(Cycling an aquarium) https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Also, I would look into keeping fish that fit your water parameters i.e Water hardness. (You can find water hardness from your local water company usually online) It may seem like a lot of info to learn about, but in the long run your fish will prefer to be kept in water conditions similar to those where they are found naturally matched with that of what comes out of your tap water. Unless you are using RO water which is a whole other topic of conversation 😄.

Matt said it all. Welcome. Read the cycling article and do not add fish until the tank bacteria can quickly metabolize ammonia and nitrite. This can take 3-6 weeks. It can be accelerated by the addition of Tetra Safe Start or Dr. Tim’s one and only bacteria. Your fish options depend on your water hardness, GH. You can measure this with a kit or from your water department website.

The bacteria in the Tetra product are the ones which grow in aquariums, unlike some other brands. But they do need to be fed. There are two ways to feed them - put fish in the tank as they excrete ammonia or add ammonia from a bottle. Because the Tetra product does not work instantly, putting fish in the tank will expose them ammonia and nitrite; adding ammonia from a bottle means all the necessary bacteria will be there before fish are added.

Personally, the way I would go is to get some ammonia - Dr Tim's ammonium chloride is available on Amazon & eBay - and add the amount the bottle gives for your tank volume. Test the ammonia level after half an hour (to allow the ammonia to mix in thoroughly) then test for ammonia and nitrite 24 hours later.
It's only safe to add fish when you add a dose of ammonia and both ammonia and nitrite test at zero after 24 hours. If you still have ammonia, with or without nitrite, after 24 hours you will have to wait before getting fish.

Welcome 3cups!

Cycling a tank is difficult for newbies to understand but it's key to creating a happy healthy tank for fish. Read the articles & do it, you won't be sorry to have taken 4-8 weeks to get it right.

Hi and welcome! Both to the forum, and to the hobby! It does get addictive!

I was in the same boat as you really! In that my dad always had an aquarium going while I was growing up, and I enjoyed watching it and occasionally helping him clean it when I was a kid (and he was old school, so it really only got cleaned 2-3 times per year!) but I loved doing the gravel vac! It was like magic, the way it sucked up all the muck, but left the gravel behind - so I always wanted to do that part, lol).

But didn't get my own tank until much much later, as an adult.

Love the look and the start you've given it! My only suggestion right now, is to remove the dracena plants - they're not an aquatic plant, and will eventually rot in the tank... not good for the plants, nor for your aquarium! You might be able to grow them emersed- which means just the roots sticking into the tank water at the surface, with the main plant above the water, but can't grow them submsersed for long before they'll rot and release all that nastiness into the water and substrate.

But! There are a huge amount of aquarium plants that will thrive! And as far as your fish and water quality is concerned, the more the merrier! Some fast growing stem plants such as Limnophilia sessilflora, elodea, guppy grass or wisteria are great, as are floating plants like salvinia, water lettuce or amazon frogbit. Floating plants are especially good for sucking up ammonia from fish waste and using it to grow, before nitrifying bacteria turn it into nitrites, then nitrates. Fish also really feel safer with some floating plants on the surface, since they don't know there are no predators to worry about in the tank, and appreciate the cover floating plants provide. :)

For a large leaved, dramatic looking plant like the dracenas, you can't beat one or two of the amazon sword plants! They can grow huge, but that takes time, and they'd do well in that sized tank for a long time. :)

As an example, I'll show one of my old tank set ups that had an amazon sword plant- but bear in mind this was only a 15.5g tank, so half the size of yours!
mytankswordstillsmall.JPG

Bear in mind that this is one of my first tanks, so no special expertise needed or fancy equipment to get them to grow like this. I'd also often forget to add any fertilisers! Big fluffy plant on the left is the limnophilia sessilflora I recommended, precisely because it does so well usually and sucks up ammonia, fish, fry and shrimp love it as it's excellent for hiding - and it's so easy to maintain. Just cut the tops off where you want when it's growing tall, then can replant the top you trimmed off, and both parts will keep growing. :D In this tank, I'd been planting in a hedge style, to hide the sponge filter that's behind that hedge of L.sessilflora ;)

In front of that is some rotala - I've only had success with that once, while it was in this tank with no fish that disturb the substrate, but once I put some cories in here, they kept snuffling around and uprooting the rotala until it all eventually died. Need deeper rooting plants when you have little diggers! lol.

But, the main point, in the centre is an amazon sword plant. They're all Echinodorus, but there are a variety of types now grown to choose from! I think this one was Echinodorus rose, if I remember rightly.

Same tank, much later:
15.5g sword much larger.JPG

As you can see, the sword plant had kinda taken over this smaller tank! But, it looked amazing for the few years I had it in there, grew an amazingly large and healthy root system, and can be a stunning addition to a tank the size of yours, and look fantastic for years.

On the right, the tall plant with narrow leaves coming up the full height and trailing across the surface is vallisneria, another plant that would make a wonderful background/side of the tank plant!

I tend to buy plants from Pro-Shrimp, because I keep shrimp too and know their plants are shrimp safe (some plants bought from places like amazon have been grown abroad, and spayed or dipped in pesticides before they're allowed to be imported into the UK and EU, and are potentially toxic to shrimp and snails), but plants from tropica are also safe, and a lot of people sell their own grown plants and plant trimmings on places like Ebay too. :)

Hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:

Hi and welcome! Both to the forum, and to the hobby! It does get addictive!

I was in the same boat as you really! In that my dad always had an aquarium going while I was growing up, and I enjoyed watching it and occasionally helping him clean it when I was a kid (and he was old school, so it really only got cleaned 2-3 times per year!) but I loved doing the gravel vac! It was like magic, the way it sucked up all the muck, but left the gravel behind - so I always wanted to do that part, lol).

But didn't get my own tank until much much later, as an adult.

Love the look and the start you've given it! My only suggestion right now, is to remove the dracena plants - they're not an aquatic plant, and will eventually rot in the tank... not good for the plants, nor for your aquarium! You might be able to grow them emersed- which means just the roots sticking into the tank water at the surface, with the main plant above the water, but can't grow them submsersed for long before they'll rot and release all that nastiness into the water and substrate.

But! There are a huge amount of aquarium plants that will thrive! And as far as your fish and water quality is concerned, the more the merrier! Some fast growing stem plants such as Limnophilia sessilflora, elodea, guppy grass or wisteria are great, as are floating plants like salvinia, water lettuce or amazon frogbit. Floating plants are especially good for sucking up ammonia from fish waste and using it to grow, before nitrifying bacteria turn it into nitrites, then nitrates. Fish also really feel safer with some floating plants on the surface, since they don't know there are no predators to worry about in the tank, and appreciate the cover floating plants provide. :)

For a large leaved, dramatic looking plant like the dracenas, you can't beat one or two of the amazon sword plants! They can grow huge, but that takes time, and they'd do well in that sized tank for a long time. :)

As an example, I'll show one of my old tank set ups that had an amazon sword plant- but bear in mind this was only a 15.5g tank, so half the size of yours!
View attachment 350185

Bear in mind that this is one of my first tanks, so no special expertise needed or fancy equipment to get them to grow like this. I'd also often forget to add any fertilisers! Big fluffy plant on the left is the limnophilia sessilflora I recommended, precisely because it does so well usually and sucks up ammonia, fish, fry and shrimp love it as it's excellent for hiding - and it's so easy to maintain. Just cut the tops off where you want when it's growing tall, then can replant the top you trimmed off, and both parts will keep growing. :D In this tank, I'd been planting in a hedge style, to hide the sponge filter that's behind that hedge of L.sessilflora ;)

In front of that is some rotala - I've only had success with that once, while it was in this tank with no fish that disturb the substrate, but once I put some cories in here, they kept snuffling around and uprooting the rotala until it all eventually died. Need deeper rooting plants when you have little diggers! lol.

But, the main point, in the centre is an amazon sword plant. They're all Echinodorus, but there are a variety of types now grown to choose from! I think this one was Echinodorus rose, if I remember rightly.

Same tank, much later:
View attachment 350186

As you can see, the sword plant had kinda taken over this smaller tank! But, it looked amazing for the few years I had it in there, grew an amazingly large and healthy root system, and can be a stunning addition to a tank the size of yours, and look fantastic for years.

On the right, the tall plant with narrow leaves coming up the full height and trailing across the surface is vallisneria, another plant that would make a wonderful background/side of the tank plant!

I tend to buy plants from Pro-Shrimp, because I keep shrimp too and know their plants are shrimp safe (some plants bought from places like amazon have been grown abroad, and spayed or dipped in pesticides before they're allowed to be imported into the UK and EU, and are potentially toxic to shrimp and snails), but plants from tropica are also safe, and a lot of people sell their own grown plants and plant trimmings on places like Ebay too. :)
What is the floating plant in the first pic?

Most reactions

Back