New to the hobby

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ShrimplyTheBest

Reaction score
Hi all. Sorry in advance for the lengthy post, but I haven't documented our journey yet, so I am including a lot of details.

TLDR is we are a family of 4 getting into the hobby. Currently have a 10 gallon planted tank with 7 neon tetra, 5 zebra danio, 2 gold mystery snails, and 1 nerite snail. Currently have a 20 gallon and a 53 gallon in a fishless cycle. Got plans to get some more fish and snails, and of course I am dying to get myself some cherry shrimp.

We are a family of 4 (dad, mom, son-[5 years old this month], daughter-age1) that is just getting into the hobby. My son became obsessed with fish and wanted a fish tank, so we made him earn one with good behavior and learning to read over the summer. We counted out 300 pebbles of gravel and found an appropriately sized vase that would be close to full when all the pebbles were added. He earned pebbles for completing his daily tasks, as well as reading his beginner's "learn to read" books. We also started playing a math game where we ask him simple math problems (what's 6 plus 2?) and had him retrieve the correct numbers. It motivated him extremely well and he earned his aquarium in only a couple of months. It was kind of amazing to watch him progress so rapidly, and I'm a bit sad that this major motivator is gone.

We got gifted a 10 gallon with accessories from a family member, and I built a stand out of left over 2x4. We set it up, got some plants and used filter media from a friend, and let the tank sit fully set up and running for a few weeks until he "officially" hit his goal and earned a fish tank. We thought the tank was cycled - we had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and very low nitrates. In retrospect I believe the media we moved over was fully cycled, but could only handle an extremely low bio-load, and we also never added ammonia to induce cycling and beef up bacteria numbers (just assumed used filter media would handle it).

We added livestock (7 neon tetra, 2 gold mystery snails, and 1 nerite snail) and instantly our ammonia jumped to 0.5 ppm, nitrite to 0.25 ppm, and nitrates to 5 ppm. One of the tetra died later that night, and we went into panic mode. We treated the water with seachem prime in an attempt to make the ammonia and nitrites less harmful. We also started adding seachem stability daily to introduce live bacteria. And of course performed frequent water changes. The ammonia and nitrite levels stayed the same for the next 4 days, but sadly we lost 6/7 of the tetra.

On the 5th day we dosed with Tetra Safe. Ammonia rose to 1 ppm, but then dropped down to zero 8 days later. Nitrites rose to 2 ppm, but dropped down to zero by day 11. We kept up dosing with prime and doing water changes to keep levels low, but it was rising so fast it was impossible to stay ahead of. Thankfully our 1 tetra and 3 snails all pulled through the fish/snail-in cycle.

Now with ammonia and nitrites finally reading zero we decided it was time to get more neon tetra, so we added 6 more. We thought about only adding a few so as not to shock the tank with increasing the bioload so quickly, but decided it would be less stressful overall to just get them all. The next day ammonia and nitrites were both at 0.25 ppm! &@*#! Thankfully we only had detectable levels for 3 days, and they never got above 0.25 ppm. Finally our tank was cycled, like for real super serious this time (I still test nearly daily and have never detected ammonia or nitrites after this point). We waited another 2 weeks after being fully cycled and added 6 zebra danio. One of the danios died within a day, but he was a runt and I don't believe it had anything to do with our tank parameters. It's been nearly a month since adding the danios and everything in the tank seems pretty healthy and happy.

I wish I had researched more about the nitrogen cycle and the importance of cycling before we got any livestock. I was aware of cycling, but really underestimated the significance of it. If I could redo it I would certainly do it differently without livestock, but our mistakes kind of forced us to complete with fish in. We did gain a lot of experience in a short period of time as well.

When I get into something I tend to be obsessive and go overboard. And I am now far more interested in the hobby than my son, even though I was reluctant to even start. So of course I immediately start trawling craigslist, facebook, and freecycle looking for deals. $20 later and I have acquired:

65 gallon tank with weir and 2 drilled holes (may be a future salt water setup?)
53 gallon tank with lid and stand.
53 gallon tank with lid
20 gallon tank with lid, light, heater, gravel, HOB
5.5 gallon with lid, light, heater, HOB, thermometer, net, food, gravel
5.5 gallon with lid, light, heater, HOB, thermometer, net

Not bad acquiring 8 total tanks for $20. Of course we have ended up buying substrate, new plants, decorations, heaters, air pumps, a siphon, sponge filters, medicine, chemicals, test supplies, etc. to the tune of several hundred dollars. I still think we are doing well considering the stock of aquariums and supplies we now have.

We have the 20 gallon and one of the 53 gallons set up and currently doing a fishless cycle using dr tim's ammonia. I want to breed some mystery snails and have hordes of them in my 53 gallon. I find snails super fascinating. I also am dying to get a self sustaining colony of red cherry shrimp going, probably in the established 10 gallon. I am waiting until all the tanks are cycled so we can move some of the fish, and also ensure the parameters of the 10 gallon are nice and stable for the shrimp. As excited as I am to get shrimp, I want to ensure success.

I'd like to move the danios and neon tetras out of the 10 gallon, and get a few more of each so they have larger schools. DW wants to get some harlequin rasboras. Beyond that we don't have too many plans. We will try that out first and then decide what other livestock we want.

Plants we have:

Water lettuce
duckweed
hornwort
guppy grass
sword? of some kind
java fern
java moss
ludwigia repens
ludwigia triple red
caroliniana bacopa

Good luck with the fish. They are great for getting the kids involved. My father started me with my own tank when I was 7. Biggest event for me was feeding my father's oscar's each evening. You did well to get all those tanks on a budget, you can save on the substrate by using playsand, pool filter sand, or screening your own.

Well, hi & welcome to TFF... :hi:
Most kids love fish and fishtanks. Especially, when it's all so colorful...

Welcome! Sorry you had a rough start, but honestly almost everyone does. The cycling process is some serious chemistry and most people don't understand it until they are forced to deal with the "emergencies". Based on your post, it sounds like you have a good handle on it now. My only suggestion since you have multiple tanks, is, carefully consider each one. For example, cherry shrimp cannot live with many fish because they will be eaten, but there are "some" compatible mates. Some fish are aggressive and should only be with like minded, some like lower pH, some like different temperatures, some like softer or harder water (or brackish)...etc. There are SO many variables. So, it's not just about what YOU want in the tank, but about matching the appropriate fish with the appropriate tank mates and water parameters. Good luck, from one fish addict to another :)

Yes we are going to get compatible tank mates. We are still cycling the 20 gallon and 53 gallon tanks. The 20 gallon had a huge nitrite spike, and then on day 17 it finally vanished leaving 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and a ton of nitrates (like 80-160). I added another dose of ammonia to bring it up to 2 ppm to ensure it was actually cycled. The ammonia disappeared quickly, but the nitrites continue to linger around, so maybe not as fully cycled as I thought. I'm confused why my nitrite spiked, and then rapidly dropped to zero...but now the nitrite spike is hanging around after subsequent doses. I thought once it was able to reduce the nitrites the first time it should be established enough to do it again. Maybe I dosed it too high? I don't think my livestock will put out enough ammonia to raise the level to 2 ppm, so maybe it is cycled and I just overloaded it.

I'm about to go test the tanks again. Hoping to see 0-0-160+ now.

I think what is happening is, as you said at the end of your last post - you're adding more ammonia than it can handle. Well, sort of. So, it's still converting the ammonia almost immediately but nitrite is lingering, just sound like you went beyond what your tank could currently handle. But I wouldn't worry about that as long as you have enough surface area for your bacteria colonies (between your deep aubstrate, filter media - whether that is cannister, sponge, hob, whatever), tank decor/plants, it will catch up and balance out. What is a little concerning is that you added more ammonia (because your nitrates were high?)...the way to bring nitrates down is through water changes, or my favorite way - more plants and plant growth.

Sorry if it wasn't clear - adding ammonia had nothing to do with the nitrates. I just mention the nitrates because their presence indicates the cycle is working and converting ammonia all the way through the cycle to nitrates. They are so high because I have no livestock so I haven't been doing any water changes, I just keep adding ammonia to feed and grow the bacteria.

I tested again on Friday and my numbers in the 20 gallon were 0-0-160+, so I performed a 100% water change on it. I let it sit for a day and tested it again and got 0-0-5.

We have a large piece of decor, large cholla wood, a bubbling volcano, a sponge filter, and lots of plants in the 20 gallon. We also got bladder snails that came along with the plants. I've been considering the bladder snails as pests and not livestock though, so I was still dosing and not doing water changes. I figure if they died off, great, and if they survive, then they earned a spot in the tank.

I think the 20 gallon is cycled and we are going to start stocking it slowly. We want to get more zebra danios so we have a larger school (currently have 5 in our ten gallon, thinking moving them to the 20 gallon and adding 5 more). I think we are going to get the new danios and just treat the freshly cycled 20 gallon as a quarantine tank to ensure the new danios are healthy and disease free before we move the rest of the danios into the tank with them.

We originally had neon tetras (have 7), and decided zebra danios would be a good addition so we got 5 of them. We were thinking they would be roughly the same size/bioload as the neon tetras. They are about twice as big though, and they eat ferociously. We went from 3 snails and 7 neon tetras, and added 5 zebra danios, and the amount of food I need to put in the tank went up by a factor of about 5. Yes that's not a typo, I easily put in 5X as much food as I did before I added the danios. Those things are monsters and just ferociously consume anything I drop in the tank. It's like a feeding frenzy twice a day, and I have to put a lot in in order for any to trickle down to the middle of the tank so the neons can actually eat. I only let them eat for about 3 minutes, but it seems like the danios could just eat and eat and eat. They are absolute pigs.

I think the 20 gallon is cycled and we are going to start stocking it slowly. We want to get more zebra danios so we have a larger school (currently have 5 in our ten gallon, thinking moving them to the 20 gallon and adding 5 more). I think we are going to get the new danios and just treat the freshly cycled 20 gallon as a quarantine tank to ensure the new danios are healthy and disease free before we move the rest of the danios into the tank with them.

We originally had neon tetras (have 7), and decided zebra danios would be a good addition so we got 5 of them. We were thinking they would be roughly the same size/bioload as the neon tetras. They are about twice as big though, and they eat ferociously. We went from 3 snails and 7 neon tetras, and added 5 zebra danios, and the amount of food I need to put in the tank went up by a factor of about 5. Yes that's not a typo, I easily put in 5X as much food as I did before I added the danios. Those things are monsters and just ferociously consume anything I drop in the tank. It's like a feeding frenzy twice a day, and I have to put a lot in in order for any to trickle down to the middle of the tank so the neons can actually eat. I only let them eat for about 3 minutes, but it seems like the danios could just eat and eat and eat. They are absolute pigs.
Hello and welcome:)
The 20g is fine for neons and rasboras but the danios need a bigger tank. These isn't because of their size but because they are so active, in fact one of the most active of common tropical fish.
Look on the Seriouslyfish website for tank and water requirements as well as suitable tank mates.

Neon Tetra's are cool. Zeebs are cool. Rasbora Het's are cool. Five gallon tanks are cool. Sword plants are cool. Java Fern is cool. Java Moss is cool. Snails are cool. Duckweed is sorta cool. And you are cool for having all those things.

Sorry if it wasn't clear - adding ammonia had nothing to do with the nitrates. I just mention the nitrates because their presence indicates the cycle is working and converting ammonia all the way through the cycle to nitrates. They are so high because I have no livestock so I haven't been doing any water changes, I just keep adding ammonia to feed and grow the bacteria.

I tested again on Friday and my numbers in the 20 gallon were 0-0-160+, so I performed a 100% water change on it. I let it sit for a day and tested it again and got 0-0-5.

We have a large piece of decor, large cholla wood, a bubbling volcano, a sponge filter, and lots of plants in the 20 gallon. We also got bladder snails that came along with the plants. I've been considering the bladder snails as pests and not livestock though, so I was still dosing and not doing water changes. I figure if they died off, great, and if they survive, then they earned a spot in the tank.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood before. Well all that sounds awesome, I'm sure the zebra danios will love the added room to swim around. I used to have some, it's been many years ago (I'll have to get some soon! ;) but I remember several of them zooming about the tank together...they make a stunning group at times.

Most reactions

Back