New To The Forum But Not New To The Hobby!

kcoscia

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm Katie, a 22 year old aquarist and Nurse on the side lol

I am new to this forum, but not new to the hobby. I am always looking to learn and help others learn as well.

As of right now, for tanks, I have:

A 20g Axolotl tank with two lotls - Fox and Daisy

tumblr_naioz8Bvd81scbrdfo1_1280.jpg

A 10g Planted tank with 6 platies, 6 amano shrimp, 2 nerites

tumblr_n9n2qhnsXV1scbrdfo1_1280.jpg

A 10g divided tank for one adult male betta, Storm and a baby male betta, Squid. This tank is planted too.

tumblr_nagix7j7AE1scbrdfo1_1280.jpg
(Since this picture, cycled filter, heater and fish were added. Driftwood soon to come.)

3 vases holding fissidens moss, anacharis and subwassertang

tumblr_namcrySEyv1scbrdfo1_1280.jpg

Welcome! Thanks for sharing the pictures. You'll find we love photos around here.

Welcome to TFF!!! Love the axies! What do you use to keep the tank cold?

welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy yourself here.

Beautiful tanks, do you have any FTS of the Axy's tank? :D

welcomeani.gif

Lovely tanks :)

The pink axoloti is really lovely 
yes.gif

Look forward to seeing and hearing more from you soon.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Thanks everyone! I love my axies too. They're my favorite pet (shh don't tell) by far. They're both about 6" long, 4 months old.
To keep their tank cool, I have a four fan unit running on it and whole room air conditioning. This keeps it between 64-68, but i'm not happy with this since it isn't consistently at one temperature within that range, rather staying in that range but changing frequently.
I plan to get a chiller, once I can front the $400 (hopefully within the next two weeks.)

I took a FTS today, but the glare is incredible oops
tumblr_nao0qhL0cJ1scbrdfo1_1280.jpg

I love the set-up im getting some as well and was wondering if its recommended to use the dish, ive seen a few tanks with those in them. Right now i have a 2 fan one just like yours almost haha how did you get it to stay on your plastic trim? Mines at the 68 range as well.

I plan to get 3-4 of these guys and maybe upgrade them to a 55 gallon and get few more later on :) but idk if i can afford the chiller lol

I have my tank divided atm but i like your pvc set up very clean looking, im sure they love it!

Thanks! 
From experience with these little guys, plates are helpful, but not necessary. When they were being fed bloodworms, I put the worms on the plate in order to decrease the amount of sand they were ingesting, but they just kicked the worms all around and didn't care at all. No problems from sand ingestion either. Now they get fed via tweezer, eating cut up earthworms. Once they're big enough to eat full worms (if ever) I will start putting the worms on the plate. They probably won't care haha!
The fan stays, but I did drop it in the water while I was installing it (power off though) and no damage! Just thought that would be good to know :p For mine, you can't have it too loose, but you also can't have it too tight. I got it just right, checked it daily for about a month, and it has been fine ever since.
I'm saving to afford my chiller, since I can tell the temp. swings aren't ideal. They're healthy, but like today I forgot to turn the air conditioning back on and the tank was at 68, but the room was humid and Daisy (the leucistic) displayed a bit of stress.

So you dont feed any types of pellets? Ive seen some people use reptile bowls, which i guess work even if some of the color come off, because their amphibious? Also it looked like is was less easy for them to blow the worms around and you use a turkey baster to get them in the bowl.

But the problem with my fan is the clamp, or tightener is to small to even fit onto my tank so i literally have it rested on my hood blowing straight into the tank, it seems to be working but i dont like that its not attached. 

Hi Katie! Welcome to the TFF!
Awesome pics! Love the Axolotls :)

Thanks everyone!

Fish herder - earthworms are the #1 best thing you could feed an axolotl EVER in so many ways. So they are the staple for my babies, along with the occasional salmon pellet. The pellets are hard to feed though, since they will only take them out of my hand or the tweezers.

:wub: They're so adorable!

Most reactions

Back