New To The Fish Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowdenlad

Reaction score
hi guys new to the fishes, buying ma first tank so will prob need loads of advice.

thanks

hi guys new to the fishes, buying ma first tank so will prob need loads of advice.

thanks

Just make sure to let your tank run with the filter for atleast a day. I would do 2 days though. Then get some really cheap fish like some Neon Tetras, put in some conditioner and then the Neons about 5 minutes after. Next day, your tank will be ready for just about any fish!

thanks

Just make sure to let your tank run with the filter for atleast a day. I would do 2 days though. Then get some really cheap fish like some Neon Tetras, put in some conditioner and then the Neons about 5 minutes after. Next day, your tank will be ready for just about any fish!

That's a joke I hope?

Please don't listen to the advice given by dnjsalesplus. If you do, you will probably end up with a lot of dead fish.

Your new aquarium will need to be cycled, this can either be fishless or fish in cycling. Whatever way you choose, you will need to get yourself a good test kit for PH/Ammonia/Nitrite.

There are a couple of very good threads on cycling, you can find them HERE and HERE respectively. I advise you to have a good read of both threads before you decide what you want to do.

What I told him, is exactly what I do, and I was told to do by the local fish store. I have done this will all 3 of my fish tanks. I told him to let the tank run with the filter for 1-2 days, and I said I would do 2 days. Then I added some neon tetras in with some water conditioner, and it almost instantly cycles the water. I put in 6 convicts, 2 black belts, and 2 platinum cichlids, 2 days after I said to do what to do, and they are fine. I then got the water tested at the fish store where I got my fish at, and my water was perfect. I gave good advice, these guys will tell you to do 1,000,000 things, and put 1,000,000 chemicals, and you really don't need any chemicals if you maintain your tank. Make sure you do water changed every 2-3 weeks, and only change half. Clean the bottom of the tank with a vacuum (Fish tank vacuum that is). I do this every 2-3 weeks, and all those extra chemicals I DO NOT add. I only do water conditioner, and my tank and fish are always fine. This is all advice and info that was given to me by a fish store that has been in business for 23 years. Thanks, if you think any of this is wrong, I would like to know what's so wrong about it.

An aquarium relies on the nitrogen cycle and this has to be developed over a period of weeks and sometimes months.

It's all based on bacteria.

First you need to have Ammonia eating bacteria to eat the fishes waste products and turn it into Nitrite. Then you need to have Nitrite eating bacteria that turn the nitrite into Nitrate. The Ammonia eating bacteria develop first, followed by the Nitrite eating bacteria, but this is a slow process. The only way to start the process is either using a fish in cycle or a fishless cycle, both of which require time and patience.

Ammonia(fish waste) and Nitrite are both poisonous to fish and will kill them if they are present in any but the smallest of quantities. That's why fish keepers aim for 0ppm for both Ammonia and Nitrites. The only way to tell what quantities of Ammonia and Nitrite you have is through testing the aquarium water with a good liquid test kit such as the API master test kit.

Developing the required bacteria takes time and patience and I would urge you to read the two threads I linked to in my last post.

Basically your LFS is giving you completely the wrong advice.

An aquarium relies on the nitrogen cycle and this has to be developed over a period of weeks and sometimes months.

It's all based on bacteria.

First you need to have Ammonia eating bacteria to eat the fishes waste products and turn it into Nitrite. Then you need to have Nitrite eating bacteria that turn the nitrite into Nitrate. The Ammonia eating bacteria develop first, followed by the Nitrite eating bacteria, but this is a slow process. The only way to start the process is either using a fish in cycle or a fishless cycle, both of which require time and patience.

Ammonia(fish waste) and Nitrite are both poisonous to fish and will kill them if they are present in any but the smallest of quantities. That's why fish keepers aim for 0ppm for both Ammonia and Nitrites. The only way to tell what quantities of Ammonia and Nitrite you have is through testing the aquarium water with a good liquid test kit such as the API master test kit.

Developing the required bacteria takes time and patience and I would urge you to read the two threads I linked to in my last post.

Basically your LFS is giving you completely the wrong advice.

So what do I do to help my tank, and fish stay healthy. I'd like to keep my fish as long as possible. My tanks have been running for a few weeks now. I have already done 2-3 water changed on my 2 smaller tanks, and none on my 55 gallon yet its only been running a week. I have about 10 Cichlids in my 55 gallon (Don't worry I am saving up for a 150 gallon tank soon). I want to make sure that I get as much knowledge as possible so I can be able to get fish and tanks as I please and know EXACTLY what I am doing.

Basically you are doing a fish in cycle.

Read and follow the instructions HERE. If you haven't already, you will need to get yourself a good liquid test kit.

Do not add any more fish, until your ammonia and nitrite levels are reading 0ppm. Then only add a couple of fish at a time and wait for the ammonia and nitrite to reach 0ppm again before adding further fish.

Basically you are doing a fish in cycle.

Read and follow the instructions HERE. If you haven't already, you will need to get yourself a good liquid test kit.

Do not add any more fish, until your ammonia and nitrite levels are reading 0ppm. Then only add a couple of fish at a time and wait for the ammonia and nitrite to reach 0ppm again before adding further fish.

To be honest, I do not plan on adding ANY fish for a very long time lol. Maybe 2 Oscars, but I won't do that until I test my water. What I have been doing is going to the pet store with a little bit of testable water, and they let me know whatsup with my tanks. I will read the link you told me about. Thanks a lot for all of the info. I have a few other questions. I got 3 different types of Cichlids, and I want to know how to tell the sex. I have 6 Convicts Cichlids, I have 2 platinum Cichlids, and 2 Black Belt Cichlicds (All names I was told by the LFS BTW lol).

Emails are more then welcome and apprecited. ([email protected]) Thanks!

Black Belt Cichlids. The male is larger, with more intense colours, and with age develop a hump on their forehead. Males have a pointed genital papilla.

Platinum Cichlids I have no idea about and couldn't find any info on them either.

Convict Cichlids. Male convict cichlids can grow a slight nuchal hump when they have reached a few years in age. Males will also grow larger in size with longer fins.

The female shows a flush of colour on the body when well cared for. A female convict cichlid in prime breeding condition will also become very plump indicating her fertility and readiness to breed.

You might find the world of fishes a bit complicating espacially in chemistry part...... but with patience and self confidence you will make any fish or thing THRIVE!! you might encounter some defficulties like (fishes dying, fishes getting sick or fishes bullying each other) it's normal. no matter what mistakes you do you will get it right next time....... ohh, and lets not forget the advatages of fish watching (SO MANY ADVANTAGES)!!! this hobby is fun too!!

Black Belt Cichlids. The male is larger, with more intense colours, and with age develop a hump on their forehead. Males have a pointed genital papilla.

Platinum Cichlids I have no idea about and couldn't find any info on them either.

Convict Cichlids. Male convict cichlids can grow a slight nuchal hump when they have reached a few years in age. Males will also grow larger in size with longer fins.

The female shows a flush of colour on the body when well cared for. A female convict cichlid in prime breeding condition will also become very plump indicating her fertility and readiness to breed.

Well, The platinum Cichlids as the LFS called them is very similar to the white convict I guess by what they told me. With my 6 Convicts, I have maybe 2-3 that show a bright blue color, as there are 2-3 that have a shinny red bottom. Possible 3 pairs? My Platinum cichlids instantly took a home in a cave that I have, and defend it like CRAZY! I am assuming they are a couple as well. And as for the Black Belts, they are both a decent size, but there is one that is bigger than the other, and they always stick close to each other. Maybe I am a lucky guy that got 5 pairs! LOL These are in my 55 gallon tank.

I also have a 29 Gallon with 4 Glass Cats, 2 Angels, 1 blue guarami, 1 blue guarami, 1 Pleco, and 3 Black Neon Tetras. how could I tell the sex of the guaramis? Sex of the Angels? They are still young. I will try to get photos of all of the fish.

I also have a 20 gallon with 1 Fan tail Gold Fish (I know it's a cold water fish, working on getting it its own tank). I also have 6 Platys, 3 Guppies, 1 Pleco, and 1 ghost shrimp. I need more ghost shrimp tho, I like these little guys and cannot find them anywhere in Hartford, CT 06108 United States. I don't want to keep these tanks over stocked if indeed they are, I am looking into getting maybe a 180 Gallon tank, and use some tank dividers. Any help with this?

Thanks so much for all of the help!

DO NOT add 2 oscars to your 55gal. one oscar ALONE needs a 75gal tank, if you wish to keep 2 or one with tankmates, you are looking at at least a 125gal tank with double filtration, oscars are incredibly messy fish and grow big!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back