New to saltwater...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Please listen to the advice given - we give it free & with only good intentions - the people who have adviced you so far know what they are talking about and arnt trying to do the hard seal on you - everyone on this board wants to create the best possible lifestyle for the livestock they keep and as you can read for the messages posted you are going to fast & ignoring advice from seassioned reef keepers

We are not saying that Live Rock is the only way as it isnt but to relly on LIVE Sand as a Biological Filtration is in my & other opinion at best silly at worst neglegant

If you do not agree with our methods then OK but reasearch the various methods that are available to you and IMO if you conduct a poll on any serious MARINE Forum similar to this you will find that todays REEF KEEPERS beleive that the key to a sucussful reef/FO is a LIVE ROCK & SKIMMER combo

There are still LFS & private reefers who use UNDERGRAVEL SYSTEMS which IMO is unbeleivable but they swear by them but why use something when it has been imporved upon some years ago.

You will need some form of Decor/rocks in your tank so why not use the optimum type (LIVE ROCK) which will great looking & interesting peice of decor & give you fish refuge & take care of you BIO Filtration Needs

I also find it strange that you LFS adviced you against LR as it causes ich - it is laughable - not you that is, but your LFS - if this is the type of advice he gives I would give him a wide berth

If your not getting Live Rock is a cost issue then I would say to stear clear of marine keeping as it is just one cost after another to be honest

Finally - if you do go for a external filter, livesnad etc. your fish may survive (Hardy ones anyway) but will they be happy & healthy or is this not important

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of LIVE ROCK

Live, or living rock (LR) is basically parts of the coral reef that have been broken off during storms etc. It has laid on the sea bed for weeks, months or even years and during that time, it has been colonised with litterally millions of animals ranging from microscopic bacteria to larger copepods and amphipods to even larger shrimps, crabs, lobsters etc.
LR is very porous and lightweight. This allows many of the small animals (critters) to colonise deep into the rock and remain free from predation.

Once LR is collected, it is shipped by air in a moist state in sealed bags or boxes (if it were shipped wet, the cost would rocket because of the weight). During the shipping process, many of the higher life forms die off due to lack of water. However, the little pores remain wet and the smaller life forms survive the journey.

Once it reaches the dealer, it has to then be cured. This is a very costly and long process which involves putting the LR in large vats of saltwater and running large protein skimmers. The reason for this is that a lot of the dead critters start to rot and if placed directly into your tank, will cause unacceptable ammonia levels and probably kill most of your tank inhabitants.
The LR is scrubbed and new saltwater added regularly. This whole curing process can take a month.
The LR is then placed into large vats of mature saltwater where it is now ready for sale (at a cost of around £200 for 20KG's)

Once the rock is placed into your tank, the fun then starts. Within a few weeks, many life forms that had remained dormant, start to grow. This can include small corals, decorative algea, polyps and mushrooms. Even after years of it being in the tank, new things can still spring up.

Many reef keepers use LR as filtration. The tiny pores that contain the bacteria are a superb way of filtering the reef. They contain both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria which reduces nitrites and nitrates respectively.. However good water flow around the rock is essential to keep the bacteria fed.

Among the beaties that are found on the rock, there are also some that are not so welcome. Some large, destructive crabs, shrimps and lobsters etc can be imported as tiny specimens and survive the journey. Being nocturnal, the first time you know you've got them is when you see your prize coral being munched away or your lovely colony of Neon Gobies slowly disappearing one by one. This is a rare occurance though and should not put anyone off. It has even been known for a fertilised moray eel egg to be imported and hatch in the tank !!!.

LR is imported from all over the tropical world but rock from Fiji is usually the lightest and best although rock from the Caribbean is also good. People are starting to now create LR nurseries, where porous rocks are being put into the sea and left to colonise for a year or two. This ensures that our reefs are not exploited for the aquarium trade and also ensures we will have a never ending supply of LR.

It still amazes me the amount of life that comes from the rocks and continues to grow, multiply and increase the bio-diversity of the reef tank.

Other porous rock such as tufa and homemade rocks will quickly become "live" if added to a tank full of existing LR as the bacteria and critters will soon colonize that too.

Ok - thought I would chip in my opinion.

1) It sounds like your boss has some pretty major gaps in his knowledge, and frankly it worries me that he runs a fish shop.

2) People here are only trying to help. We all disagree on certain things, but advice is given to impart information and help you out, so take it on board even if you disagree with some of it - or at least do further research based on the suggestions.

3) I actually agree that Live Rock is not the only, and not always the best form of filtration. However, I DO think that it is by far the best choice for relatively small tanks, and for most reef tanks.

4) There seems to be some confusion about your filter. Some people seem to have decided that your only biological filtration is the live sand. But from your early post, you have a Magnum 350Pro external filter. I am not familiar with this model, but this will be what is providing the majority of the biological filtration. You also say the filter is matured, so I assume it is currently running on another tank? I really don't see why you would have problems running a fish only tank with this filter and a good skimmer - although you may have trouble keeping nitrates down which could cause some difficulty keeping corals etc. And you must be meticulous about water changes and maintenance.

5) I would advise you to stay well clear of anemones with your setup.

Yes i do have the external filter with the bio wheels and also the sand which is a biological filter as well... I am not planning on getting coral once again my boss told me it is better to have a bigger tank and get more into it before i begin with coral. I am reading and taking in the advice, but if i do not plan to do it now i will have that advice for later after i screw up (if i do, which i shouldnt :dunno: )... I do have rocks i beleive they were probably once live rock at a time but now they are just rocks?? i dont know... they are just for saltwater though... Also i am not pushing off the live rock because it is too expensive, if i thought i truefully needed it or if my boss told me i did, i would have it. I dont know if other lfs owners are stupid in the fish section, but my boss knows alot about them and if he didnt how would he be keeping these beautifal marine setups and freshwater setups. Thanks for all the advice, i really do appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike

1st thing - Coral dont necessarily need large systems 'ave a look at SH cube THE CUBE and you there are SOFT CORALS that are suitable for beginners,

I am still not convinced that you LFS knows waht he is talking about due to the 'LIVE ROCK - ICH' comment

And your LIVE SAND will give you nothing like the Biological Filtration as Live Rock does, so please don't delude youself that it will

I would also make sure that the rock you are using has never been treated by copper

And having a plan or info after screwing up wont help any dead livestock

If you gonna do it DO it right

If you think I am being harsh then I apologise but this is Live animals we are talking about

Can I also just ask why wont dont want to use Live Rock, as it is a feature in itself

Again I do not mean to be rude, but I do have a question for you. If your boss is as smart as you say he is, then why did you not just ask him about what fish to have in there? Just curious and do not mean to offend.

Steve

i dont know, i would just like to listen to my boss on this one about the live rock, not the ich thing though, just i dont fell like using it thats all... I do have 2 biowheels on the tank so that should be plenty biological filtration... I did ask him, i asked him today at work, i wrote down some nice fish i liked and asked him if they were ok:

spotted cardinal fish
firefish goby
clownfish
banded possum wrasse- he said right out he thinks the six line wrasse are better because they are smaller and have nicer color
neon blue goby- said i shouldnt get them, to small and most likely they would get eaten
blood red fire shrimp- be much better price to get scarlet cleaner shrimp because the blood red fire shrimps are up there in price right about now

other than those couple of fish he commented about he liked my selection... what do you guys think,is it a good colorful selection? i did research and they all are for 30gallons or smaller.

Thanks
Mike

I got a new-used tank the other day, 125 gallons, planning on making it saltwater and i am doing alot of research before i get to starting it... I looked up some stuff on the sand to put in the bottom and i would like to know where to get some stuff that i found i would need:
Live Oolitic Aragonite Sand
Dry Oolitic Aragonite Sand
CaribSea Reef Sand
CaribSea Aruba Shell
I found a place to get the Reef Sand And The Aruba Shell but the dry and live aragonite sand i cannot find, can someone tell me a place to get it?

The 30 gallon is doing great, i got 2 damsel fish in there now, and maybe about 2 weeks will be getting another fish... They are living and active, i have my skimmer coming soon, probably monday. i will try and get some pics up for you guys....

Thanks
Mike

Most reactions

Back