New to planted tanks(10 gallon)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dragonmommy

Reaction score
Hi, I have had fish before. Before we moved into a travel trailer we were up to a 125 gallon cichlid tank. We also had a Betta for my then 5 year old. We are now back in a house and my now 10 year old is getting a Betta again. We are doing a 10 gallon planted tank, I have never done plants before.

we are looking at tank mates for her Betta, when we get it. We currently only have the plants. It has been a week. So we are preparing to pick up either the betta or the tank mates, not everything at once tomorrow. The tank is fully cycled. and the temperature has settled to a constant.
I am looking for advice on what to put in our little 10 gallon without overloading the tank and still giving it lots of color.

I will be the one changing water and checking levels. My 10 year old will help but will not really be responsible for the fish she is not quite ready for that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 167
Planted tanks are much more fun I think! I'm sure your kid will love it. I always think betta colors stand out a little better against darker substrates, but kids tend to like the more colorful substrates.

Thanks. We have the black and green and pink rocks. And a bubble volcano. She loves colors. But I am hoping when my husband gets a bigger tank in a year or two I can loose the volcano and talk her into more natural decorations.

Yes, my six year old talked me into a castle in his 10 gallon tank. I was against it at first but have learned to love it. I have my own 5 gallon and a 20 gallon that I did all natural.

Eventually I will get a tank that is totally mine. But she loves color and that is ok. I just like more natural but that is ok.
My LOTR tank is more for my granddaughter, she is one years old and likes to watch the guppies and platys. I am also a big fan of LOTR. My main tank is more natural and is what I call my sunken forest tank and has soft water tetras.

Here a couple of pictures of my LOTR and sunken forest tanks. I have added more plants to both since these pictures were taken. I also have a fry tank with platy fry and a RES turtle tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_210950727.jpg
    IMG_20200703_210950727.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 136
  • GEDC1519.JPG
    GEDC1519.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I had a mess this last weekend when Friday my old 55 gallon sunken forest tank leaked again and flooded my living room. I had to buy a replacement 55 gallon tank and transfer everything plus clean up the mess. Took all weekend, the picture is of my new 55 gallon tank.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Glad to see your child is interested in fish! A planted tank can be very fun. Can’t wait to see the new betta!

(Are you aware how to properly cycle a tank? If not, please read up here)

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Glad to see your child is interested in fish! A planted tank can be very fun. Can’t wait to see the new betta!

(Are you aware how to properly cycle a tank? If not, please read up here)

Yes, we have had fish before. This is just our first planted tank. I have been researching for several months on YouTube and websites. Since I am the one caring for them I wanted to be fully informed. Now that we are close I am reaching out to others that already have tanks

Welcome :hi: happy new home, hope the move has gone well. I really like your daughter's tank. As the plants grow it'll look even better :wub: I'm not sure Betta have preference for certain plants but I really like broad leaves myself and floating plants.

Most reactions

Back