New To Nano Reefs, Bought A Boyu Tl450 I Think I Have Errored Already?

maza7482

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have recently bought a new Boyu tank which is the same model as the ORCA. I have set the tank up and got my live sand and rock in there. 5kg of medium peices and 2kg of rubble. I have my UV and pump in the 1st (farthest right) section as standard then the supplied skimmer (useless) in the second chamber, my rubble in the 3rd and the heater and retun pump in the 4th. I have also put some Renew phos free carbon substitute in the first chamber as this has the best flow. I have a spray bar as standard on the tank and have added a nano Koralia powerhead.

I think I recently took some bad advice? When I was researching buying live rock, it was suggested to me to do a fresh water dip to kill off any Ich on the rock or in the sand before refilling with salt water. I ended up running the rock and sand in the tank with fresh water for 2 days then I changed the water and salted it.

As my understanding has grown about cycling I have realised I didnt need to do this as I am not putting live stock other than cleaning crew in for 4 months so the Ich would have died of anyway.

I am really worried now that I have killed off the good organisms in the rock and sand and effectively have base rock and sand now? Am I thinking right here? I have been running my tank for 3 weeks now and have the normal algae bloom and coraline algae still on the rock.

Just need to put my mind to rest as I am thinking of getting some more live sand and topping it up.

Thanks everyone. PS this is a great site for info, and I am about to start building a rubble back drop like BIGC has done, it looks amazing.

Cheers Mark :blink:

if it was in freshwater for two days you will have base rock and dead sand im afraid but if you have salt water in the tank now then you may be able to seed the dead lr with a few pieces of new alive lr(live rock) so it will aall e live

if it was in freshwater for two days you will have base rock and dead sand im afraid but if you have salt water in the tank now then you may be able to seed the dead lr with a few pieces of new alive lr(live rock) so it will aall e live

Thanks for the reply, pretty much what I thought. I am going to set a refugium using my old 25 l tank with new live rock and sand. Hopefully I will be able to enliven the old stock again.

What a numpty am I, hehe and slightly gutted.

Cheers

Don't buy live sand mate..just a rip off.....
The bacteria from your new rock will seed the entire system soon and dont worry...been at this over 30 years here and still regularly can pull a blinder myself... :lol: :lol:

Don't buy live sand mate..just a rip off.....
The bacteria from your new rock will seed the entire system soon and dont worry...been at this over 30 years here and still regularly can pull a blinder myself... :lol: :lol:

Cheers Buddyboy, Im still going for the refugium as I need a little project as the tank matures. Cheers for the headsup on the sand, I'll just get some normal aragonite and some live rock rubble. May as well get some chaeto as I am going to try out a new LED k2 strip to see if they are as good as they make out.

Many more blinders to come yet though, hehe.

:hi:

I have a 450 also, and I really like it (although I want a bigger tank now ;) )
Are you going to mod the tank in anyway? I got a new skimmer, new powerheads and moonlight leds. I think a new skimmer is a must with this, as the stock one is pretty poor.

Anyway, looking forward to more updates! :good:

Agreed, i recomned a boyu skimmer, can buy them cheap of ebay, £4.50 with a charge of £6-8 on postage, a good buy, and fits in the orcas compartment nicely!!

Adam

Most reactions

Back