New To Hobby, Need Some Advice.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SombreroBanana

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, I'm new to fishkeeping. I've had a couple bettas before, but nothing serious. I'm planning on getting at least a 50 gallon. I definitely want a planted tank if possible. I want to have some driftwood, rocks, etc. in there too. I still need to do some more research on cycling and what not, so if you've got any advice on that, send me a link in a comment. But I'm mainly here to ask about what fish to add. I'm most likely going to add 6-10 tetras of some sort, maybe a smaller sort of cichlid (got any ideas?), at least one algae-eating fish, possibly some inverts, maybe a small catfish, some gouramis, and that's about all I have so far. I know I don't know very much yet, but I'm hoping some of you guys can give me some pointers on what is compatible with what. Also, anybody near Chicago willing to donate filter media. Thanks in advance to all.

Edit: What are some good online websites for buying fish? I don't trust my local Petsmart enough to buy fish above $10, and they don't have a wide variety. I know of LiveAquaria, just wondering which are trustworthy.

If you end up going with a fishless cycle, there is a link in my signature which goes over the most common steps and questions - the 'do and do not' list. You stock plan sounds reasonable to me...for dwarf cichlids I would recommend you consider:

..Bolivian Rams
..or
..Apistogrammas

Apistos have a very wide variety of types. But both Rams and Apistos are great little centerpiece fish.

And welcome to the forum!!!!

If you end up going with a fishless cycle, there is a link in my signature which goes over the most common steps and questions - the 'do and do not' list. You stock plan sounds reasonable to me...for dwarf cichlids I would recommend you consider:

..Bolivian Rams
..or
..Apistogrammas

Apistos have a very wide variety of types. But both Rams and Apistos are great little centerpiece fish.

And welcome to the forum!!!!
Yeah, I was hoping for a little colorful centerpiece fish. Thank you. :)

I have Rams, but I believe Apistos are generally much more colorful.

google is your friend.

research, research then research some more.

I would definitely start with GVille's signature links. HIGHLY recommended, and VERY informative. I was writhing in agony about what to do with my tank because I did a cycle with fish, and you REALLY have to stay on top of it too keep them comfortable and honestly if I could change it, I would do a fish less cycle, one because it's easier, and two because its humane..
Once the cycle is over, I would recommend mollies or tetras, they are great "starter" fish and they swim in groups and "play" a lot so they are fun to watch, and livebearers are always more fun because they are always pregnant and you can watch the babies grow, and what not. Just my opinion. ;)

I would definitely start with GVille's signature links. HIGHLY recommended, and VERY informative. I was writhing in agony about what to do with my tank because I did a cycle with fish, and you REALLY have to stay on top of it too keep them comfortable and honestly if I could change it, I would do a fish less cycle, one because it's easier, and two because its humane..
Once the cycle is over, I would recommend mollies or tetras, they are great "starter" fish and they swim in groups and "play" a lot so they are fun to watch, and livebearers are always more fun because they are always pregnant and you can watch the babies grow, and what not. Just my opinion. ;)
I'll keep this in mind. Thanks. :)

Most reactions

Back