New To Breeding Kribs

Tannerd

Reaction score
Hello All! First, i would like to introduce myself. My name is Tanner and i have been in the aquarium hobby for a couple years now. I have always loved cichlids of all kinds , but have only kept a 10 gallon with africans for a year or so. I had a kribensis in that tank and really liked it. I have gotten interested in breeding fish and really want to try breeding a pair of kribs! I have a 10 gallon tank that is cycling and i think i am going to put a pair of kribs in that tank. Is that enough room? I have a sponge filter on it and a 50 watt heater. Is this suitable? i have read up on krib breeding and most sites say 10 - 15 gallon tanks. I have some fake plants that i can put in there to make them feel more at home. Please Respond!

-Tanner :rolleyes:

A 10g will be sufficient, as long as there are no other tank mates. They will need a cave, and a few plants, but don't take up too much room, since it is a small tank. Set the heater to about 78 and as long as the water is some what soft they should start breeding before too long. The male will usually be a little more shy than the female, but that won't hinder them from breeding.
Good luck!

A 10g will be sufficient, as long as there are no other tank mates. They will need a cave, and a few plants, but don't take up too much room, since it is a small tank. Set the heater to about 78 and as long as the water is some what soft they should start breeding before too long. The male will usually be a little more shy than the female, but that won't hinder them from breeding.
Good luck!

Thanks for your advice!

hi, mine have just had their first batch in my community tank, they are looking after their babies really well and are not being very agressive. I did nothing to help them breed and they laid their eggs under my filter.

Good luck

i have bred them they are easy they need a tunnel that they can only fit in to even if there isnt any other fish in the tank get a clay pot get sand paper or something and make a hole at the lip of the pot and they will breed in that

my two kribs just abuse each other, but im not forcing them into baby making.. but still. its odd

Rose, my 2 kribs did that at first. My female was significantly smaller than my male. After 3 days, I had to go out of town and the male was harrassing her so badly that I thought for sure I was going to come home to a dead female. I was gone for about a week, and I was quite surprised that when I came home, she was not dead, but they had paired up and was sporting gorgeous breeding colors. I had mine in my 46g though, so there were plenty of places for her to get away from him.

Mine spawned almost every month like clockwork once they got started. I never bothered trying to pull the fry to raise them and never did anything special as far as feeding them or taking care of them. Most fell prey to other fish in the tank, but 5 did survive and it was fun raising them up and bringing them in to the pet store.

I had plenty of organic material (read: algae) on the back of the tank and on my fake plants. They spawned in the hole on the bottom of one of my fake driftwood looking aquarium decorations. They dug out an entrance pit from the sand and they spawned up in that same hole every single time.

i have just introduced a large male to my female krib and the two of them have went straight into my upturned plant pot. they are the only fish in my breeding tank at the moment and they seem yo be building up the sand substrate at the entrance to the plant pot making the entrance very small. is this normal behaviour for a breeding pair of kribs.

Yes perfectly normal, the male will close up the entrance to the point where he has to swim in on his side, its basically making the nest harder for people to get in and easier for him/her to defend.Yes perfectly normal, the male will close up the entrance to the point where he has to swim in on his side, its basically making the nest harder for people to get in and easier for him/her to defend.

Most reactions

Back