New To Betas (progress Thread)

yorkshiretyker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi :)

The more I read about your guys betnt toas on the forums of this site, the more I really want to keep my own beta/betas, however I'd really rather not jump into it and get things wrong or do anything that is unnecessary, and get s advice from you guys first.

Sorry if some of these questions seem to be silly questions for someone who's kept an aquarium for ages, however I've never kept betas before, and would like to maybe have some beta fry at some point

From reading the forum and looking at photos of your tanks I'm beginning to understand that betas do better in smaller tanks, with a little substrate, a plant or two and preferably with no tank mates. The sort of tank size I would imagine keeping a beta in would be around L12" W6" H6" Would this be large, but small enough? I also understand that betas do not like surface movement, therefor what is best method of getting air into the tank? would an air stone be too much in a small tank?

Any advice or suggestions as to how I should set up my first beta tank would be greatly appreciated.

according to the aquarium calculator that tank size is about 7 litre / 2 gallons.
Generally people consider 1 gallon the absolute minimum with 2.5 gallons often the preferred minimum. 2 gallons would probably be an OK size. The only thing I'm unsure of is heating. I keep my bettas in slightly larger tanks with 25W heaters. I'm not sure if 25W would be too much for 2 gallons and it can be hard to get smaller heaters than that (particularly ones with thermostats). Probably someone else will know??

whether bettas prefer smaller tanks or not is a much-debated subject. Some believe that bettas get a bit freaked out with large tanks, others believe the bigger the better.

You are right that bettas don't generally like water disturbance (though some will tolerate it). You don't need an airstone in a betta tank, and in a lot of cases the betta wouldn't appreciate it. Because bettas are labyrinth fish they breathe air from the surface of the water, so the oxygen level in the tank is presumably less important than in general community tanks.

something you didn't mention was filters. Because bettas don't like water disturbance a lot of people don't use filters. Those who do use them use very low flow ones. Whether the betta will tolerate a filter depends very much on the individual betta. Personally I filter my betta tanks, but I know others whose bettas really hate the filters. IMO its worth giving a filter a go. You can always remove it if the betta isn't keen

also you didn't mention temperature. In my experience bettas like a slightly higher temp to average community tanks. I keep my betta at 79-80F. I've found that they get a bit lethargic if its much lower.

Thanks for the quick reply - If betas do better in warmer water, then I'd definetley be looking at a tank that I'd be able to fit a 25W heater in, my guess would probably something like a W5 L10 H12 which is around 10L or 3G.

It sounds like betas are very personal creatures where each beta has a different liking/personality - so it would make sense to get a filter and see if it was tolerated - if not it's easier to take one away than it would be to add one in.

What sort of substrate is best for betas? are they fussy?

Also looking at some of the pictures of your betas, there are some absolutely fantastic colors - are these colours bought online as I've only really ever noticed the reds and blues at the LFS that I go to.

Thanks for the quick reply - If betas do better in warmer water, then I'd definetley be looking at a tank that I'd be able to fit a 25W heater in, my guess would probably something like a W5 L10 H12 which is around 10L or 3G.

It sounds like betas are very personal creatures where each beta has a different liking/personality - so it would make sense to get a filter and see if it was tolerated - if not it's easier to take one away than it would be to add one in.

What sort of substrate is best for betas? are they fussy?

Also looking at some of the pictures of your betas, there are some absolutely fantastic colors - are these colours bought online as I've only really ever noticed the reds and blues at the LFS that I go to.

my fish loves the airstone! doesnt mind a filter either, keep your decor smoooooth, flat marbles etc, silk or live plants, I vote for minimal substrate, also have no trouble with 25w submersible in 3gal, don't ofrget aquarium salt, Melafix comes in handy a good water conditioner such as Novaqua, thermometer,tank vac, ammonia test kit at least or (full fresh water set) read up on cycling a tank before you put in fish. A bowl is basically an uncycled tank that's why frequent water changes, but cycling with a fish in is hard on the fish and would also require frequent water changes ...this is not recommended and probably the main reason fish loss in the world(disease or toxicity from unmanaged water)
and good quality food such as betta biogold, I think it's helpful to soak the food, then you don't get the bloating and constipation that arises from food expanding in the little stomach.. I don't know what else right off the top, go on the new to the hobby section, read up on some fish emergencies recommendations too perhaps you can get a feel for what to expect and how to handle or avoid it

I've got a couple of tanks that size with 25W heaters and they work just fine :good:

for substrate - some people don't bother, gravel is fine, as is sand and marbles, pebbles etc. bettas don't spend much time at the bottom and they don't root around for food so substrate isn't that important really - just per sonal taste.

like eb2 said, keep decor smooth. They can mess up their delicate fins on just about anything it seems. For plants have either real or silk - not plastic.

in terms of where to buy your betta - I assume you are in the UK from your name? It seems we have less choice in shops for bettas here. You can get some very nice coloured veiltails if you shop around. Maybe the odd crowntail. A lot of people buy from breeders though.

I just bought a lovely guy from sqbettas

a lot of people use kgbettas

or there's [URL="http://dpfishways.com/"]http://dpfishways.com/[/URL] which is Modaz from on here

It's up to you whether you buy from a shop or online. There are many beautiful bettas in shops, but it all depends on your area I guess (and how much you want to spend)

Hi Thanks for all the advice and information you have given me. I'm looking forwards to setting up a beta tank, I'm actually thinking about getting a tank that will eventfully be big enough to put a divider in as my ultimate goal would be for my betas to have fry - possibly when I get as far as that I may even need to invest in a second tank for fry - however that's quite a way off yet.

I'll keep you posted on the progress of my beta tank as I begin to set it up - cycle it and eventually get my first beta - It's all very exciting as I've only ever kept various community tanks in the past - and this will be something very different and a new challenge.

Any other tips or suggestions please do let me know, I'm all ears and willing to learn in this area :)

Lee.

Good luck with your new tank set up and hope to see pics soon of you new Betta when you get him :good:

You've got some very great advice so far :)

I can tell ya that some bettas will do perfectly fine in a larger tank. I used to have a female betta in our 28gallon community w/ 2 filters and an air stone and she did absolutely fine. There was enough room in the tank for her to avoid the currents if she wanted to. I don't think I would try that with a male though unless he was a plakat (short fins).

I dunno if the UK has this over there, but you could try a little bubble filter.
I use this filter in my 3 gallon tank.
http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-Tetra_Whisper...nk_Power_Filter
Here in the US you can get them pretty much everywhere that sells pet supplies, including wal-mart. It costs 10dollars and works really well. It creates a very low current in the water. The betta at first might not be used to it since it most likely didn't have room to work it's muscles, but it will get used to it. You could always get a valve thing though to put on it to reduce the current.

Oh and I'd also get some kind of little cave for the betta. Something he can either swim through easily or somethng he'll be able to turn around in. Alot of betta keepers get those small little terracotta plant pots.

In Pets at Home you can buy a 15 litre plastic tank with a filter for about £15 (could be £10). It's called "My first fish tank" or something similar, aimed at children, has cartoon pictures of goldfish on the packaging. It says it comes with an airpump, but it's actually a small filter. I use this set-up with one betta (with a 25W heater) and it works very well. The filter doesn't look much but it works well enough for a betta and has an adjustable flow which goes pretty low. There's two downside: it doesn't come with a lid so you'll need to make a lid or find something suitable, and it's plastic, which some people don't like.

Another filter I used with a betta is the Pen Plax Small Word filter (again from Pets at Home). It's air-driven and comes with a little pump. It's got a slightly silly design in that the filter cartridge is all-encosed and contains zeolite and carbon as well, but I cut it open with a craft knife and removed the zeolite/carbon and stuck some foam in there.

there's probably plenty of other options in the UK, this are the only ones I used and found them quite good because the flow is nice and low for a betta.

It's all getting exciting now! Whist I was out today I called in at Pets At Home and picked up Clear-Seal tank and a few other bits and pieces. The tank is around is around 7G according to the aquarium calculator. L17" H10 W10"

I've still to get a heater as I wasn't sure whether or not I had a spare 25W heater at home whilst I was in the shop - as it was I did, but it didn't work, so will pick one up tomorrow, but there's no rush the tank has still got to cycle yet.

Whilst I'm at Pets At Home getting a heater I'll look out for one of those "Pen Plax Small Word filter" too, if no success finding them. then maybe I could use a sponge filter with an small air pump attached to it and a valve on the line to control the airflow. I think this should work. I've Also still to have a look around for some a nice piece of deco, but the stuff at Pets At Home seemed rather sharp, and was concerned that they would damage the betta's fins.

Here's a picture of the setup so far :) As always, any comments or advice welcome.

2359039051_7830442ed1.jpg

In Pets at Home you can buy a 15 litre plastic tank with a filter for about £15 (could be £10). It's called "My first fish tank" or something similar, aimed at children, has cartoon pictures of goldfish on the packaging. It says it comes with an airpump, but it's actually a small filter. I use this set-up with one betta (with a 25W heater) and it works very well. The filter doesn't look much but it works well enough for a betta and has an adjustable flow which goes pretty low. There's two downside: it doesn't come with a lid so you'll need to make a lid or find something suitable, and it's plastic, which some people don't like.

Another filter I used with a betta is the Pen Plax Small Word filter (again from Pets at Home). It's air-driven and comes with a little pump. It's got a slightly silly design in that the filter cartridge is all-encosed and contains zeolite and carbon as well, but I cut it open with a craft knife and removed the zeolite/carbon and stuck some foam in there.

there's probably plenty of other options in the UK, this are the only ones I used and found them quite good because the flow is nice and low for a betta.

that's what I'm talking about, that penn plax thing what I've done is after about 2 weeks, cut open the top, take out the old carbon, put some new carbon in a nylon stocking fit it in and keep the foam going (that's your good bacteria) or add another foam like littlest said

wow tank is looking good
makin me jealous my tanks arent looking the best at the moment

Looking good mate! May i recommend not buying the first male you find as you will probably end up finding another in a different shop and then your stuffed lol!

If you see one you like in pets at home just say can i have it reserved for me just make up an excuse as to why and check other shops incase lol

I saw lots that i liked but one i loved lol funnily enough wasnt in a shop though. Check ebay and the betta breeder sites for something special, not that all bettas arent in some way special :)

I say this because you can only have one in a tank unless its big enough to divide:)

(i waffle in the morning)

I'm not sure that I'd buy my betta from pets at home unless there was something extra special, as quite often there's a bunch of dead stuff in the tanks there and I believe that all the tanks are filtered with one huge filter. I was thinking more on the lines of buying from beeders, but never thought about Ebay, I'll have to have a look over on there as it might be a good option!

Everyone has given you good advice. I just wanted to jump in and recommend a sponge filter for the tank. It will provide a home for nitrifying bacteria, and you can hook it up to a small air pump or use a gang valve to adjust down the air flow and keep it from creating too much movement.

If you can afford it, buy a betta from a breeder! It's totally worth it- it will be healthier and gorgeous. Pet stores rarely carry anything comparable. If you're going to set up such a nice tank, you need a nice fish to go in it!

Most reactions

Back