New to all of this

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

frtloop85

Reaction score
Well, my boyfriend and I just got a 50 gallon fish tank today. So far we have two sucker fish and three sharks. I'm not sure what kind they are though. We are wanting to put sand on the bottom of the tank instead of rocks. Are there certain kinds of sand we can choose from? And if there is, what's the best?

I'm very excited about all of this and can't wait to add fish to our tank.

OH! Are there any recommendations for filters for the tank?

I also need to find stuff for the fish to hide in and what not. Any suggestions?

Are these tanks hard to keep clean?

I know it's a lot of questions....but I'm new to all of this. :blush:

Well, first off, you should read up on cycling the tank, as you dont want any sick fishies....

I use gravel in my tank, so not sure of any advice on using sand....

I totally understand your excitement, its tons of fun, but its loads of work as well !!!

I have a 44 gallon tank, I use the Fluval 304 (reccomended for a 70 gallon tank) . Its a canister filter, so I can keep it in a cabinet underneath :) It seems to work quite well for my tank.

Hard to keep clean? Not really, water changes are a very important thing to do, a siphon would help with this, I just use a gallon sized pitcher and do about 5 gallons a day ( my tank is still cycling)

For decor, as a beginner, I've gone with fake plants , as I think learning how to care with the fishies is enough work for now, plants need extra love and attention .....My decor is a roman theme, which is pretty fun decor, I have ruins and columns, and a neat colliseum, but you could do whatever you fancy....

I collect turtle items, so in my 10 gallon spare tank, I have a couple of my glass turtle figurines..

Always rinse any gravel or sand REALLY well before you stock it into your tank... and rinse plants and decor as well, this should cut down on your initial cloudy water stage....

hmm, well, I'm a beginner too, so thats all the input I can really give you :) Read lots of posts on here, thats how I figured most things out, these boards are super helpful, as are the people here..!!!!

Good Luck with your new aquarium !!! It will bring you a lot of joy I'm sure.. I know mine has :)

:hi:

welcomt to TFF!!

definetaly check out the beginner section and check out cycling

cycling is quite frustrating, especially for your first aquarium! Howveer, once it is done with, everything is way easier.

if you have friends with aquariums, they can help you out and speed up the cycling process to just a few days instead of a month

if you do have friends, let us know and we will tell you how you can sopeed up cycling!

Plus, don't buy stuff from the pet store to help the cycle going. Whatever the salespeople tell you, they don't work! there's no miracle in cycling, just patience :)

then later, you can read up about MTS (multiple tank syndrome) a disease that affects pretty much everyone here :p

Hi! :hi:

Glad to see you've joined the forum - looking for information and research is the first step to keeping a succesful aquarium.

Other than the advice given already (which is all good), I would add that you should look at getting a tester kit as soon as possible. 95% of all problems are related to the condition of your water, so with constant monitoring you can keep on top of any of them.

One other quick question - can you id the two types of fish yet? I only ask as there are a couple out there that can limit what other type of fish you can get, as they won't get along with others.
See if you can find out, or post some pics and we can help you along!

Good Luck!

hi and welcome to the forum!
can you describe the sharks for us?then mabe we can help you identify them.

germanshepherdlver said:
hi and welcome to the forum!
can you describe the sharks for us?then mabe we can help you identify them.
[snapback]891187[/snapback]​

i asked my friend who i got the fish from and they are columbian sharks.

oh yea...im frtloop85's boyfriend so there isnt confusion...haha

I will comment soley on sand. One can buy 40 lb. bags of playsand from Walmart for about $5. Rinse some extremely well in a bucket and add gently.

One thought, if you know ANYbody with a cycled running tank, get some gravel or a rock or a plant, plastic, from them and add it/them to your tank. They will have some of the beneficial bacteria needed on them and it will greatly speed up the cycling of your tank.

Hi! Welcome to the forum and to this wonderful hobby :D

You've been given some great advice here and been pointed in the right direction so I thought I'd chime in and add some extra detail.

First of all - cycling.
When fish eat they produce waste. The waste contains ammonia. Rotting food also contains ammonia which is why you must be careful to not over-feed. Unfortunately ammonia is deadly to your fish and causes permanent damage to their health. Luckily, after about a week, good bacteria start growing in your filter (which you must get ASAP - and I assume you already have a heater as your fish are tropical) and gravel/sand substrate. These beneficial bacteria convert the ammonia to nitrIte. NitrIte is still highly toxic. After a couple more weeks, ammonia drops to undetectable levels but nitrIte spikes and is at its deadliest. Luckily more good bacteria grow that quickly convert the nitrIte to the much less harmful nitrAte. You then do a weekly 25% water change to keep nitrAtes low enough. The whole cycling process takes about 6 weeks if done with fish and you should do a water change every 3-4 days now as your fish will get very stressed and poisoned otherwise.

The next thing to understand is that you MUST test your tank's water for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte regularly - especialy whilst in the process of cycling. Get a liquid-based test kit from your local fish store. Avoid the cheaper paper test strips as they aren't accurate and don't work after a certain period of time. The liquid ones are much better value for money in comparison. What you'll want to do is monitor the ammonia and nitrIte levels. Once they drop to 0, your tank is fully cycled and you can add a FEW more fish. You have to build up the number of fish gradualy as more fish mean more waste which means more ammonia. You need to build this ammonia up slowly so that the bacteria have a chance to multiply to keep up with it and to avoid having to go through the 6-week cycling process all over again and risk your fish' lives. You should also test for nitrAtes and aim to keep them below 40ppm though below 20 is better. A weekly 25% water change should be enough to achieve this provided you are not over-stocked.

When you do a water change you MUST first de-chlorinate the water. You see ordinary tap water is fine to use but it contains chlorine. The chlorine not only harms your fish but also kills off the good bacteria in your filter/gravel. This can cause a re-cycle and, as a result, fish deaths.

Another important part of maintainance is vacuuming your gravel (or sand) and occasionaly cleaning out the filter. Buy a gravel vacuum from your fish store and use it to suck up debris from the gravel and to help you do water changes. As for cleaning out the filter, never replace filter media (the sponges and filter floss inside) regardless of what the manufacturers instructions say. This is because all your good bacteria grow there and taking it out causes your tank to re-cycle. To clean out a clogged up filter, simply do a water change and use the old tank water to rinse the media out. Never use tap water as the chlorine in it will kill all the good bacteria in the filter. You only realy need to clean it out about once a month or when it gets clogged.

I should say at this point that a filter is incredibly important and you should get one immediately if you haven't already got one. Besides housing the invaluable bacteria and filtering out little bits and pieces from the water, it also aids water circulation and causes essential surface aggitation which allows oxygen in so your fish don't suffocate.

As for choosing sand - just don't get anything like crushed coral as this will alter your water's chemical composition (pH and hardness to be exact) and can stress your fish severely. Pool filter sand is cheap and safe. Make sure to rinse the sand thoroughly before putting it in or it'll cloud the tank and can take days to settle. Having said that, it's best to get through the cycle and have the tank running for a few months before undergoing the change as, right now, the tank is unstable and needs time to cycle and stabilise and the good bacteria need a chance to grow.

Hiding places can be anything that's made for aquariums. For the time being, avoid rocks or wood as, like crushed coral, these can alter your water's pH and hardness. If you do some research on rocks, however, you may be able to find some that won't cause such problems and buy only those. Artificial rock, plants and ornaments found at your LFS are ok to add now.

I've already been through the maintainance thing pretty much. The only thing to add, besides the weekly water change/gravel vacuum and monthly filter rinse, is that you may need to do some algae scraping occasionaly. Buy an algae scraper at your LFS and that'll do the trick.

Now about your current fish. Unfortunately they are all unsuitable for your tank. The colombian sharks, as has already been said, are a brackish species. This means they need sea salt (not ordinary salt) in their water. They also grow very big. Do some research on them - maybe a google search - to read some more on them. Also, though less urgent, the 'sucker fish' are probably common plecos. These are tropical freshwater fish but will also eventualy grow too large for the tank and are territorial. They'll be ok for now though as they grow slowly. They will not tolerate any salt so are incompatible with the 'sharks'. To be honest with you, the sharks should be returned to the fish store or re-homed.

Also, I think I said this earlier but it doesn't hurt to say it twice, don't get any more fish until after the tank is thoroughly cycled. Then, when you do, research what you're interested in carefuly first to make sure it'll work in your tank.

Oh, about speeding up the cycle - get your LFS to give you some old filter media right from one of their stock tanks. Choose the most healthy tank you can though so as not to introduce diseases. Put this mature media into your filter (cut it up if necessary). If they won't give you filter media, get some old gravel from one of the tanks and put it in yours. This media/gravel will contain a lot of the good bacteria your tank needs to cycle and should speed up the process tremendously. This realy is essential if the plecos (plecostomus catfish - the 'sucker fish' you mentioned) and sharks are to survive.

In future, you should do a fishless cycle before adding fish but nevermind about that now.

Anyway, very sorry about the long lecture and I'm sure I've missed stuff out. There are some links in my signature you may find useful as well. Good luck with your tank and fish! :)

ncjharris said:
Hi! :hi:

Glad to see you've joined the forum - looking for information and research is the first step to keeping a succesful aquarium.

Other than the advice given already (which is all good), I would add that you should look at getting a tester kit as soon as possible. 95% of all problems are related to the condition of your water, so with constant monitoring you can keep on top of any of them.

One other quick question - can you id the two types of fish yet? I only ask as there are a couple out there that can limit what other type of fish you can get, as they won't get along with others.
See if you can find out, or post some pics and we can help you along!

Good Luck!
[snapback]891174[/snapback]​

I have three Colombian Sharks and two Pleco's.

We have an amonia and PH tester kits already.

a backstory on the fish.

i got everything from a friend, the tank, filter, and fish.

the columbian sharks and the pleco have been in the same tank for over a year at his house. he thinks the pleco are chinese pleco but i dont know for sure...could be.

i have the filter that my friend had in his tank so it should be good for the new tank but unfortunetly i didnt know i wasnt suppose to rinse it in tap water. i rinsed it out in the sink, it was nasty. chunks of stuff came out and i also rinsed out the two little bags inside the filter...im thinking they are carbon bags???

besides the filter i didnt take anything else, the rocks he had and the decorations inside i threw all away.

had i known what i know now i would have kept some of the stuff and not rinsed everything with tap water...oops :/

you guys are very helpful. it seems like a lot of work but we both think it will be worth it when we get the water right and the fish are happy. :D

Most reactions

Back