New tetras

~FairyAngelFish~

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm really poed right now lol so sorry for any inconveinince (sp?!?)

NOw that i have 3 tetras one of them likes to bully both of my fish! He runs into them whenever i'm not threatening him by the tank. :shifty: I really just litterally want to net him out and throw him down the toilet! He hasn't eaten ever since he got here (like a week ago or few days ago i cant remember) and I'm sure they are all hungry because they haven't eaten for a while. Is there anything to do besides put him in a differen't tank? I don't want my fish to be bullied. :grr:

What kind of tetras are they, and how big is your tank?

If you have the room, I'd say get maybe 3-6 more (depending on the size of your tank). Most tetras like to be in a good sized school (usually atleast 6).

Is that tetra just bothering the other 2 tetras? Or the other fish in the tank too?

I introduced 7 neons into my tank... and for the first few weeks, there were 1 or 2 that constantly terrorized the others. I was told that this is just the tetra's way of establishing a pecking order (who's the boss). I was really worried that this tetra was going to stress my others to death, but alas they have calmed down now after settling in. :thumbs:

i have 5 glo-lite tetras, mine didnt start eating until they starved a little, after a week of introducing them to the tank, mine ate like a peck at first, then they stopped and their stomachs got smaller, i dropped bloodworms in front of them for 3 days in a row and i think they finally got the picture that it was food :grr: and they're eating better, i think 1 of them still doesnt know -_-, so be patient, it takes time to settle in, then time to recognize food :p

PS: that was personal experience, might not be the case for your fish? maybe other tetra owners ken update on this :nod: hope that helped at least a little :/

wow. my 4 black neons eats crazily. If i just float some flakes on the surface and when the flakes are dropping down to the bottom, black neons just catch those in a blink and finishes all them off.

It has only been a week since i introduced them to my tank.

dixaisy930 said:
What kind of tetras are they, and how big is your tank?

If you have the room, I'd say get maybe 3-6 more (depending on the size of your tank). Most tetras like to be in a good sized school (usually atleast 6).
neon tetras and my tank is less than a gallon

jaywings19 said:
Is that tetra just bothering the other 2 tetras? Or the other fish in the tank too?

I introduced 7 neons into my tank... and for the first few weeks, there were 1 or 2 that constantly terrorized the others. I was told that this is just the tetra's way of establishing a pecking order (who's the boss). I was really worried that this tetra was going to stress my others to death, but alas they have calmed down now after settling in. :thumbs:
I only have 3 neons in the whole tank no other fish and mainly, its just the one that is running into others, but sometimes they run into him back. LOl I like when they do that :shifty: But u know if i dont come and break up the fight he'll just keep doing it for a little bit, but not always. they sleep okay

SLuRpIe! said:
i have 5 glo-lite tetras, mine didnt start eating until they starved a little, after a week of introducing them to the tank, mine ate like a peck at first, then they stopped and their stomachs got smaller, i dropped bloodworms in front of them for 3 days in a row and i think they finally got the picture that it was food :grr: and they're eating better, i think 1 of them still doesnt know -_-, so be patient, it takes time to settle in, then time to recognize food :p

PS: that was personal experience, might not be the case for your fish? maybe other tetra owners ken update on this :nod: hope that helped at least a little :/
thanx, I think I'm going to get some bloodworms because they aren't liking the flakes too well... -_-

Thanku everyone!!!!!

If you have 3 Neons in less then 1 gallon, you are so far overstocked I am suprised that is the only problem you are having. Neons should be in a larger group really, but for the 3 you've got, you really need at least 5 gallons. Even then, it'll be tough. Neons are a fairly sensitive species, and a tank as small as 5 gallons is difficult to keep stable.

I have tetras ,I call them raptors the way they feed. Soon as the lid is moved they are all waiting to pounce on it :p

Cat said:
I have tetras ,I call them raptors the way they feed. Soon as the lid is moved they are all waiting to pounce on it :p
mine too :blink: i have black phantoms and they look like little sharks when they are fighting for food!

Cat said:
Oh geez mine too; I refer to them affectionately as my little pirhanas. :lol:

Most reactions

Back