New Tank

pix1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi i have 4 Pseudotropheus elongatus 2 Labidochromis Caeruleus and 4 Metriaclima callainos in a 180l tank, the fish have been in there 4 weeks but the tank was used before that so was fully cycled. The problrm is if i go near the tank the fish all dart off and hide in the oceon rock, if i upped the numbers to 6 of each will they be less shy. Filteration is not a problem as i am running a fluval 205 and a 405.

You really do need to up the numbers, it`ll cut down on any potential aggression and also make them feel much more secure in their surroundings. The yellow labs would definitely need more adding as they do better when there`s more....6 of them for example. To make sure females don`t get harrassed by too many males the stock needs to consist of either all male, all female or 1 male per 2-3 females.

Whenever you add any new fish, change the rocks around so that they all (old and new) start on an equal footing in relation to making/claiming their territory. It would be a good idea to stand and move by the tank for a little while before you feed them as it will help them get used to you and associate you with feed tim....which is a good thing for them :good: :good:

Cool will up the numbers of each to 6 and try and spend more time by the tank. Thanks for the reply

1st thing you need to up is your tank size 180L really isnt big enough for your plans , there just isnt enough space . imo that is probably half the problem. once you have a big enough tank ,4ft 55g minimum then you can think about upping numbers

A bigger tank is on the shopping list but need to get some ot in at work. Am looking to get a 5ft

How big are your fish at the moment? As Mark says you need to get a bigger tank if you can, malawi/mbuna need a good sized tank to really thrive so a 5' would be great for them :good:

IF the fish you have at the moment aren`t very big you should be ok but only on a temporary basis, especially if you`re looking at adding more :/

Biggest fish at the mo is about an inch.

in that case if you can be 100% certain you will have the upgrade in time then i dont see any issues with upping numbers . :good:

I agree.
Your 180L tank isn't big enough.
Rough guide is to have 1/3 rock, 2/3 water. So if you go by this, you will only have about 120L.

Have you got definate plans to upgrade?

Yeah i am looking at a 350l on sunday the size is 1200x500x730 so im told.

How many adult fish would be ok in a 350l.

You really do need to up the numbers, it`ll cut down on any potential aggression and also make them feel much more secure in their surroundings. The yellow labs would definitely need more adding as they do better when there`s more....6 of them for example. To make sure females don`t get harrassed by too many males the stock needs to consist of either all male, all female or 1 male per 2-3 females.

Whenever you add any new fish, change the rocks around so that they all (old and new) start on an equal footing in relation to making/claiming their territory. It would be a good idea to stand and move by the tank for a little while before you feed them as it will help them get used to you and associate you with feed tim....which is a good thing for them :good: :good:

+1

New tank sorted and picking up tomorrow its a rena 350l. If i up the numbers of the Pseudotropheus elongatus, Labidochromis Caeruleus and Metriaclima callainos to six of each is that going to be fully stocked or could i add more and if so what will go with the stock i have allready.

New tank sorted and picking up tomorrow its a rena 350l. If i up the numbers of the Pseudotropheus elongatus, Labidochromis Caeruleus and Metriaclima callainos to six of each is that going to be fully stocked or could i add more and if so what will go with the stock i have allready.

nope plenty of room for more :good: . best thing is to find some species you like and ask regarding compatibility

Most reactions

Back