New tank

Yikey

Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing a 30 gallon tank soon. Not sure if i should get a planted tank ( kinda pricey since the light i told costs around 160$) or a cichild tank with about 6-8 cichilds. I really like the look of a well planted tank. But i also love the cichild fish i like how they are very territorial and build nest and make mating partners. Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.

You could always do both.....

I've just set up a new tank, half of it is full of rocks and caves, the other half consissts of plants and bog wood...

Its home to kribs and angels....

Hi Yikey,
With a screen name of "Cichlidmaster" you have to know what my suggestion will be!!!!!

As catman said, why not have both!! There are many cichlids that would do just great in a 30 gallon planted tank.

It would all depend on the type of cichlid you were interested in. Why not post some of the cichlids you were thinking about and we could advise you on whether or not they would work with plants.

CM

Rams are a truly gorgeous Cichlid, who would be fine in a 30GL, & also prefer well-planted aquariums.

Probably not compatible with larger Cichlids though, as they're a dwarf species.

Well i know cichilds need room to grow, so i am gonna be limited to small cichilds, i will do some reading tonight when i get off work and pick out a few species i like. Thanks for the suggestions everyone =)))

Actually if someone could give me a link to a site that has good information on DWARF cichilds, or ones that dont grow very large that would help alot!

$160 for lights? You should be able to pick up a double light strip on the net for around $40, add a couple tube bulbs for less than $10 each and your looking at $60 at the most. Of course this will be a low/moderate light setup so you will have to choose plants accourdingly. Or you can go to your local hardware store and pick up some light strips and bulbs for half that price.

Where is a good place to shop on the net for lights?

Well found some cichilds that i liked, here are some. Any info on which are good pairs to go with and which will do well in a planted 30 gallon tank, with an emporer 280 filter. Also any info on the difficulty of maintaining planted aquariums, besides just the light issues ( c02 injectors, feeding the plants etc.)

South American choices.
Apistogramma
(Assorted Dwarf cichild)

Bolivian Ram
(Microgeophagus altispinosa)

German Blue Ram
(Microgeophagus ramirezi)

African Cichilds

Red Zebra African Cichlid
(Pseudotropheus zebra)

Electric Yellow African Cichlid
(Labidochromis caeruleus)

Cobalt Blue Zebra Cichlid
(Pseudotropheus zebra)

Kenyi Cichlid
(Pseudotropheus lombardoi)

Blue Johanni Cichlid
(Melanochromis johanni)

If you are thinking about getting cichlids, the following website has a wealth of information. Good luck !

www.cichlid-forum.com

Most reactions

Back