New Tank

JimmyMature

Reaction score
Hi guys, my local fish shop advised me that if I buy a Juwel Vision 260 to house a good number of Cichlids I will need to add an additional external filter, is that other peoples views?

If so why don't I just buy a Fluval Vicenza 260 with the Fluval 305 External Filter?

Any advise is appreciated guys.

Jim

He's got a point, the standard mode for cichlids is to overstock slightly, and these are messy fish, so will need a lot of filtration. The Vicenza may be the way to go, but my concern is that even with the 305, filtration might be a bit marginal - it should be sufficient, but at the edge of its capability.
If it were me I'd stick with the vision and add an external just to make sure I had plenty of capacity, but I appreciate that may involve a lot of extra space, pipework etc and may not be the neatest solution.

Thanks mate, I had thought about adding one but the wife will be much happier with a nice 'tidy' tank without pipes everywhere. Looks like the Fluval Vicenza will be the one to get.

Cheers

too right, my malawis are soo messy, theres always food and poo in the filers (even tho i dont over feed them) and a lot of my older fish spit sand in the filters. as a result, the pump stops blowing and it is very difficult to open the filter up!

In a mbuna tank it's recommended to have at least 8x tank turnover for filtration as the fish near adulthood.

In a mbuna tank it's recommended to have at least 8x tank turnover for filtration as the fish near adulthood.

With the above in mind does this mean that you recommend the Fluval or the Juwel but with extra external filtering?

Thanks

would a fluval Fx5 fit in the cupboard?, that would be better then the 405 i got one of e bay for £120 new and second hand £75 so not that expensive.

would a fluval Fx5 fit in the cupboard?, that would be better then the 405 i got one of e bay for £120 new and second hand £75 so not that expensive.

The Fx5 looks quite industrial, how is the noise levels?

If it's nice and quiet I'll speak to my lfs and ask what deals they can do with adding it to the Juwel tank.

Thanks,

Jim

Most reactions

Back