New Tank

chimera_786

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just set up a 20 gallon tank and poured all the water and treated it with all the necessary solutions (Stress zyme by Aquarium pharmaceuticals) to make it habitable. Its been a day and a half since its been running and i still havant put in fish. I want to put the gravel in now. So I went and bought black gravel and began to wash when i noticed that the as i rub them together *while rinsing them* the water becmes dark. There was black color in the water because of the gravel. But if i just let the gravel sit in the bowl of water, the water does not get black *it does slightly, but not as much as it does when i thoroughly wash it*. So should i put this gravel in and hope that my ecosystem survives? Or i should not put in any colored gravel? Oh and one more thing, when do u think its a good idea to get fish in?

Your probably right about soaking it for at least a day and also, what amount of alkalinity (ppm) should there be for tropical fish? There is one thing I am still confused about. What temperature is good for tropical fish? Knowing a temperature range would really help me out when choosing the fish i would like to add. I think i wanna add the fish in like another day or two.

Forget the soaking and rinse the gravel thoroughly. I do it by filling a bucket about 1/3 to 1/2 full of gravel then use the garden hose to flush water all through the gravel until the water coming off the top and overflowing is crystal clear. At that point I stir the gravel well with my hand to see if I can get anything more to come off before I take the bucket in the house and put the gravel in the tank. When things have cleaned up well enough that you can't get any more color in the water it won't mess up the water quality in your tank too much. No matter how well you rinse there seems to always be a bit that you miss so at that point you can let it settle in the tank itself.

Edit: Spelling is never right the first time

DO NOT ADD FISH IN A COUPLE OF DAYS THEY WILL PROBABLY DIE.

read about fishless cycling and also what filter do you have. Also buy a thermometer most tropicals will live happily within the green temperature band. Heaters are neaded

Most reactions

Back