New Tank!

why dont you go for something interesting like some fancy guppies, they are colorful or even 2 platies?
you could even have 3 pygmy corys :)
you could go with 2 platies or 2 guppies and 3 pygmy corys, sounds good to me :good:

ony problem with that guppy man is that they would have to be 1 sex either female or male or the female would get harrased by the male and then get stressed as she would be the only one he would spend his time on.

why not go 3 pygmy cories and 3 platies (1m 2f) or 3 pygmy cories and 3 guppies which you could have all males actually sorry or a male and 2 female. remember with livebearers you may get alot of babies!

ony problem with that guppy man is that they would have to be 1 sex either female or male or the female would get harrased by the male and then get stressed as she would be the only one he would spend his time on.

why not go 3 pygmy cories and 3 platies (1m 2f) or 3 pygmy cories and 3 guppies which you could have all males actually sorry or a male and 2 female. remember with livebearers you may get alot of babies!

The minimum for guppies is 5 males, or 3 mixed (1m to 2f)

I dont reccomend the 3 guppies choice as youll get loads of babies.

Platys are pretty messy.

Why not 5 guppies and 3 coryS? whats what im doin with my 11us g!

Guppies get too 1-1.5 inches (not including the fancy tail which doesnt count)

Congrats on the tank!! Mines widtheld till june because i have loads of exams and must prepare!

woo lots of replys!!! errrm, i wud really like platys but they are messy arnt they!
i was thinking either:

- 6 neons = 6 inch (but they are very low waste makers)
- 1 Honey gourami = 1.5inch
- 3 pygmy corys = 3inch
- total = 10.5inch, wud this be overstocking?

i wud like guppys but ours in our other tank just stay top? i dont want lots of fish at top? :D thnaks ever1

:D Respect! im in 37 and cannot belive how much consideration and thought you are putting into your set-up. If this is you now cant wait to see your pics of your current tank and any future postings as I am sure many including myself will learn from your attention to detail!

:drool: I have to share my tank with my hubbie and kids so am also jelouse that you are able to make your own choices for your tank.

Good luck with the fishless cycle (the wait is worth it) all the more excitment when you get your 1st fish!!

thanks 5andra lol!, im trying to decide wether to get platys or tetras? any ideas....
it says platys can grow 3inch! thats massive! we have got some platys down-stairs and we have had them a year now and there only an inch n a bit! lol :lol: so do they grow that big, and are they really messy?

iv also read that corys dont actually clean the bottom, and its a misconception that they do..is this true??

ur right about sharing, the tank downstairs is ma mums as well, she chooses most the fish...and the plants...and the decor! least now ill have my own to choose!
my tank is sitting in the lounge, its horrible not being able to do anything with it yet, damn lfs was closed! (well it was easter sunday!!)

Our platys are about 1.5" and only had them about 4 weeks and they are messy :/ but ever so pretty, maybe it would just be a case of deciding what you can commit to long term.

For me the maintenance is a part of fish keeping and helps me to keep up with my tank so the platy mess is just fun :wub:

As for corys we havent actually kept them as yet so I really would not like to comment! Im a newby and as such postage stamp knowlege lol :hyper:

Maybe you could just get prepared as your LFS was closed as it appears your approach is to investigate then move forward and in the long term this will give your far more satisfaction as a fish keeper!

We have bought, in excitment and this has led to regret so all i can add is good luck and keep remembering slowly slowly gets the best set up, moving fast means errors and these can be costly!! :sad:

Take care and enjoy your tank, I am still :drool: ing over you getting a tank to yourself.

For your information mate one out of five tanks is 9G and it houses a betta and some adf`s also thats my 4yr old boys you must of overlooked my 155g my 55g my 39g and my 13g breeding tank. As i have said to you before in other topics when you have mentioned about fish that in a tank that size its going to be quiet hard to get a decent setup of fish as you do not have much space to play with thats why i suggested a betta but you just got stroppy thats why i offered you no support it seems to me that you dont put much thought and research into what you want in your tank you just write down a load of small fish then ask people if it will work or what they suggest why dont you do the work for yourself.

Hi,

Have you looked at pygmy rasboras? You could fit a shoal of 6 rasboras and 3-4 pygmy corys in the tank. Alternatively i'd go with 3 female platies and a couple of african dwarf frogs OR 1 male 2 female cherry barbs and 3-4 pygmy corys or a couple of adfs.

Corys don't clean the tank, the will eat excess food that falls to the bottom, but should be fed sinking pellets too. If you didn't want corys or frogs, some cherry or amano shrimp would be nice with the dwarf rasboras.

Emma :)

thanks emma, (o yea mark im ignoring your comments), iv asked my lfs today about what really small fish they have..(not alot)
...but i did get gravel, gravel vac, thermometer, net, food, etc! :D thanks again!

right iv made new stocking list after visiting lfs:

- 6 Neon tetras = 6inch
- 2 cherry barbs = 3inch (1M/1F)
- total: 9inch

I think your being a bit harsh Mark. Hes only just starting out. Cant you remember what it was like? We all need help with our research at times no matter what age or experience!

right iv made new stocking list after visiting lfs:

- 6 Neon tetras = 6inch
- 2 cherry barbs = 3inch (1M/1F)
- total: 9inch

Dude, on the previous page, jayjay said that you really need to keep barbs in a school of 5 or more. Must admit I've heard similar. Can you just stick to neons?

You're still just looking at fish yeah? You haven't bought them yet? Wasn't sure from your sig?

as i have said before he is told things and refuses to take things on board he has been told his tank isnt big enough for the type of things he wants but he isnt listening take his last post for instance i want neons and 2 cherry barbs only today he was told you need to keep barbs in at least a group of 5 so he aint listening so you can choose to ignore me mate but people do try to help you but get wound up when you blow there advise out of the window.

"Platys are pretty messy." quote from qays

please tell me more I'm thinking of getting them

thanks

Most reactions

Back