New Tank, Trying To Decide On Substrate And Stocking.

that stocing sounds fine to me. i dont think you would get any problems. i would go with the loaches instead of the bristlenose.

I'd suggest to stock with 1x betta splendens solo.

What temperature were you planning on setting the tank to? Neons and corys prefer cooler temps ~24C, while blue rams, zebra danios and kuhlis prefer warmer ~28C. I'd suggest a temp. of around 25.5-26C if you were still going with the stock you listed. Don't buy angels if you get the neons.

Oh, and if you want your heater to have a longer life, tilt it to ~45 degrees. Something to do with the heat in the bottom coils traveling vertically straight up into already hot coils above and stressing the load.

You could use some top swimmers too.

Hiya. Thanks for the replies and the tip for the heater.

Builder was a no-show. :rolleyes: However, I'm not giving up and will try someone else next week (when half term is over with!)

I was going to ask about temperature but was thinking around the 26 degree mark.

I've had a good mooch around a fish shop today and I really like the black tetras (that look like neons but a bit bigger with a black stripe.) Saw some rams and am totally in love with them! I could definitely go for a betta splendens. Would that rule out the angels?

Any tips for good top swimmers to go with that lot? Platties?

I know it sounds silly (and a bit dim) but I can't get my head round the stocking rules. If I had:

8 pygmy corrys
8 zebra danios (Could live without these if I go for the black tetras instead of neons.)
4 kuhli loaches
10 black neon tetras
2 German blue rams

is it easy to work out how much more room I'd have for angels/betta/guppies/'top swimmers or am I already over my limit? :unsure:

Thanks. Yes, I'm intending to spend a few months stocking it (for financial reasons as much as fish welfare.)
So that takes me to my tank limit then?

Quick update. New builder hopefully coming tomorrow. He's working on the house next door and thinks it will be okay. Bought a small 'complete setup' today to use as a quarentine/breeding tank. I'll start that one off first and the guy at the fish shop offered some filter media to start me off.

If I have the stuff from another tank, can I use flake food to cycle it or do I need to buy ammonia?

My son really wants angels. May have to rethink...

This is just too exciting. :)

Most reactions

Back