New Tank, Trying To Decide On Substrate And Stocking.

Cheery-up Bear

Reaction score
I have learned so much since finding this site, only a few days ago. I've been reading round carefully and can see so many mistakes that I made when I kept fish as a teenager. :blush: So, determined to get it right (at pushing 40), I know it will be a few weeks before I have fish in my tank. Still, I'd like to plan, wonder and imagine and I'd love some ideas to help me along.

Tank: 48" x 12" by 18" deep. 170l (37imp gallons, 45 US gallons.)

The sand/gravel questions:

I have some smallish, smooth gravel that came with the tank, but would like corys so wasn't sure if I should get sand?

I would like a fair amount of plants without the expense of the CO2 bottles just yet, so would sand or gravel be best for them?

The fish questions:

I'd ideally like some shoaling fish and a couple of fairly biggish, colourful fish too.

I love zebra danios but I understand they are fin nippers. Are there fish that would go well with them? I also love angel fish and swordtails and guppies.

I like the panda corys but am a bit worried about having to do twice weekly water changes. Once a week isn't a problem at all though. Is there a variety you could recommend?

Thanks for reading this.

I switched from fine gravel to sand about 3 weeks ago & my panda corries are way happier on it. I also find it easier to clean & keep clean than the gravel.

I switched from gravel to sand and although im still fishless cycling, it looks much better. Can say much about fish liking it yet...

Thank you for the speedy replies. I was expecting sand to be harder to look after. It's helpful to know that it isn't. I understand that children's play sand is cheaper and fine for the job?

I switched from fine gravel to sand about 3 weeks ago & my panda corries are way happier on it. I also find it easier to clean & keep clean than the gravel.
1. When you switched to sand did you remove the gravel or mearly lay it on top,

2. If you removed the gravel from an established tank does it not affect the bacteria levels and mean you have to cycle your tank again.

I am interested to find out because Iwant to change my substrate from the original pea gravel for the benefit of my Peppered Cory's.

Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers

The really ideal substrate for cories can be had for free with a bit of work. Take a nice hike out to a remote part of a freshwater stream and find some nice sand/pepple mix that is the size you'd like. What can often be found is material that has been truely worn smooth. Each little granule is smooth. Lots of rinsing of course...

There are three variations of pygmy cories, at least one of which are bottom dwellers, I forget which one. The advantage of these is that you can get a bigger shoal and they really become clowns in a larger group, quite entertaining from what I've seen. Six, eight, ten...

With 18 inches of height, your tank is tall enough to be a nice home to angels. But if you'd also like cardinals or neons, a good way to plan it is to wait the requisite 6 months after cycling to introduce the neons/cards. Give them some months to settle and mature and only then introduce the baby angels. The angels will see the neons/cards as having always been there and will be much less likely to scarf them up as food later on after the angels have grown to be quite large.

I think your worry about zebra danios nipping is probably cutting too fine a point. They're really not the nippy, especially if you get their numbers up at 6 and above. You've got a nice tank for that and a group of 8 zipping about up top would probalby be great. They are right up there with harlequins (rasbora heteromorpha) for being great introductions right after cycling. The rasboras also appreciate similar numbers. There are plenty of other great tetras, but research them carefully as some are mean, others are nice!

German Blue Rams (GBRs) are extremely colorful large fish and are good community fish, but they'd be a little closer to needing extremely clean water like the Pandas you were talking about. So you'd have to decide about the commitment. Also, it might be interesting to hear from some of our GBR experienced folks re how territorial they get if they decide to try and breed. Honey Gouramis are another well-behaved community member that have nicer color once they get settled than you ever see in the store. Like many gouramis they probably work well in 1 male 2 female sets.

Swordtails and guppies of course are livebearers, so be aware that they create extra work and responsibility. It can be very difficult finding homes for the extra fish produced, but some like that activity and so you just have to be aware and know if its what you want.

Good Luck!
~~waterdrop~~ :)

I removed the gravel as sand will sink down into the gravel, so ive heard.

Unless you have an UGF, not a lot of bacteria lives on the gravel, not enough for you to worry about anyway.

Id say just go for it.

It can be a bit annoying removing all the gravel without scratching the glass, but its well worth it.

oh and about the play sand,

Go to argos and get a 15kg bag of children's play sand for about 3 quid.

Wash it in a bucket and put it in... Heres what mine looks like

CIMG2377.jpg

Its actually a nicer colour than that, my cameras not brilliant.

And its easier to plant in as well. Im still not done planting though.

Really helpful replies. Thank you. Will do some more reading on the GBRs. They are gorgeous.

I really like your set up, Geoff. Is that a coconut shell? How did you prepare it?

(Builder coming tomorrow to check my floor is strong enough. Very excited!)

Really helpful replies. Thank you. Will do some more reading on the GBRs. They are gorgeous.

I really like your set up, Geoff. Is that a coconut shell? How did you prepare it?

(Builder coming tomorrow to check my floor is strong enough. Very excited!)

I bought it of aqua essentials. They currently aren't selling them though.

1. When you switched to sand did you remove the gravel or mearly lay it on top,

2. If you removed the gravel from an established tank does it not affect the bacteria levels and mean you have to cycle your tank again.

I am interested to find out because Iwant to change my substrate from the original pea gravel for the benefit of my Peppered Cory's.

Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers

1. I removed the gravel, as Geoff says, the sand will just sink below it otherwise.
2. I had no spikes in my readings, I have an internal filter so 99% of my bacteria is in the filter.

The sand I used was good old Argos play sand - £2.69 for 15kg. A thorough wash & I got virtually no clouding when I filled the tank.

Cleaning with a gravel vac takes little practice but I quickly had it sussed.

The pygmy cories that are more likely to be found on the bottom of the tank are the C. habrosus. They look like the one in this picture.

Habrosus.jpg

The other ones are C. hastatus

Closeup800.jpg

and C. pygmaeus shown on the left in this picture. The fish on the right is something else.

PygmaeusHeterandria800.jpg

Yes, I have a few of each. I really love my cories but am more focused right now on goodeid breeding.

Oh they're lovely. I think I like the look of the habrosus most, if they all have similar temperaments and requirements.

So far I'm thinking:

8 pygmy corrys
10 zebra danios
4 kuhli loaches or a slightly larger, sucking type that isn't aggressive? (female bristlenose?)
10 neon tetras
2 German blue rams

The blue rams persuaded me that a twice weekly water change wouldn't be such a chore. They're gorgeous! They would perhaps be my Christmas present to myself assuming the other inhabitants were doing well by then. I can't do anything yet as the builder hasn't appeared to check my floor yet.

Does that sound okay and fairly balanced? I don't mind if the GBRs are female or male or a pair, so I'd be interested to know what would be best, or if I should keep more together. (I'm assuming they wouldn't breed in a beginner's tank, but I'd rather not risk a pair yet if they are likely to.)

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot the guppies. I was thinking 2 females for now and add a male if and when I feel able to cope with dozens more! Not sure if that takes me to my limit.

Got your floor checked yet Cheery? I really have no idea how the loaches would fit in but all the others of course sound really good...

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back