New Tank Setup Question

darkfool58

Reaction score
hi all

just about to setup my first tank

i have got,

tank, filter(inc pump), heater, airater(bubble thing), gravel, fresh start interpret, filter aid chemical and ornaments

to set the tank up to stand do i

1) wash out tank and rinse
2) put filter media in place.
3) wash gravel and airater and put in tank
4) wash ornament and put in tank
5) wash heater and put in tank
6) fill with water.
7) use interpret fresh start in tank
8) use interpret filter aid in tank
9) leave for a week to circulate water and add fish

any help greatly appreciated

Russ

Just leaving the tank to run for a week will do nothing to get the tank ready for fish, you need to read that link that sebn gave you. The articles to read are fishless cycling and fish-in cycling. Once you've read both, you'll see how demanding it is on the fishkeeper doing a fish-in cycle.

Assuming the chemical you call filter aid isn't Interpet no. 3 Filter Aid (a flocculant) but a bacteria product, you should be aware that the majority of them don't work and you'll be stuck doing a fish-in cycle.

ty people :), essjay, do you think i should just avoid using a filter aid then?

as you already have it its your choice weather you use it or not, just be prepared to put in the hours if/when it dosnt work, like essjay says you will be then stuck with a fish in cycle

Can I just make sure what you mean by filter aid? Interpet make a product called Filter Aid (capital letters). It is a flocculant which clumps together fine particles making it easier for the filter to catch them. But people also use the term filter aid (small letters) to mean a product that adds bacteria to the tank.

I'm assuming you mean the bacteria one, small letters not capitals? If you've already got a bacteria product you can use it, just don't expect it to work. Though you could be one of the rare people who finds it does work! The best thing to do would be a fishless cycle using ammonia, adding your bacteria product - you may as well use it if you've got it. You won't have any fish for a couple of months, but you'll be spared all the hard work and possible fish deaths that you would have with a fish-in cycle.
If you really can't wait that long to get fish and are prepared to do all the water changes it will take, you could choose to do a fish-in cycle with a very few fish. Use the bacteria product here too, but if it says don't do any water changes for x days, ignore that or the fish will suffer.

The two threads in the beginners resource centre give you all you need to know about the two methods. Once you've read both of them few times you'll understand what each one needs and be able to make an informed decision about which method to use.

There is one thing you need to add to your purchase list - a testing kit. Preferably one with liquid reagents not the more inaccurate strips. You need to be a ble to test for ammonia and nitrite at the minimum. Master kits containing those two and nitrate and pH work out cheaper than buying separately. You will need one whichever cycling method you decide on.

Most reactions

Back