New Tank Set Up For Dwarf Frogs

xanthedc

Reaction score
Hi, my dwarf frogs are in my main tank with community fish, gravel, plants, bogwood etc. I am wishing to set up their own tank but unsure of what to put in it.
Do they prefer sand over gravel? I heard they also like java moss and somewhere to hide. Some people on website are saying they don't particularily need a heater, if your house is warm enough and they don't really need a filter pump. Is this true and any other fun, fab facts for frog family fivarium( i know it starts with a v but i can't think of a word that means home that starts with f) would be gratefully received. Xanthe

I have sand in my frogs' tank. I like it. When I had them in a gravel bottom substrate, their primary food (bloodworms) often fell into the cracks where the frogs couldn't get at them. The sand keeps all the food on top, where the frogs may freely hunt them. I don't think they have a preference for one or the other, I only know that I do. :)

I've heard negative things about java moss, namely that they've been known to get tangled in large clumps and suffocate to death. For hiding, they seem to prefer caves. Floating plants at the top are good for when they're lazy -- just like bettas -- and mine usually sat on top of a large leaf or in a mess of anacharis.

I have sand in my frogs' tank. I like it. When I had them in a gravel bottom substrate, their primary food (bloodworms) often fell into the cracks where the frogs couldn't get at them. The sand keeps all the food on top, where the frogs may freely hunt them. I don't think they have a preference for one or the other, I only know that I do. :)

I've heard negative things about java moss, namely that they've been known to get tangled in large clumps and suffocate to death. For hiding, they seem to prefer caves. Floating plants at the top are good for when they're lazy -- just like bettas -- and mine usually sat on top of a large leaf or in a mess of anacharis.

Thanx, about the java moss. Did they get caught if you didn't keep it short or get caught up in the thread they usually attach the moss to the stone/wood? Good tip about the sand and I have a couple of plants that are long enough to lay along the top of the water.

Hi,

Have you read this pinned topic http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=133204 ? It should answer your questions :D Since i wrote this topic i have upgraded my frogs to bigger hex tanks bought more frogs and have a betta and 4 frogs in each tank. I think they like the bigger groups better and they do frog pile ups now.

Emma :)

Hi there, I had read the link and I found it to be very instructive and informative but I just wanted to check out wot other peeps thought.
One question though as I'm completely new and a bit cr*p to all this water malarky. An internal filter is different from a sponge filter- yes, what kind of filter do you use and would it be compatible for a 4 gallon tank?
Thank you for your time and patience. Xanthe

Hi,

A sponge filter would be fine for a 4 gallon tank its basically run by an airpump like an airstone is but it forces the water to be sucked through the sponge and pushed out at the top of the filter. I'll look for a pic of the one i use.
edit http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...GLD:en%26sa%3DN closest i can find but the sponge point upwards on mine.

Cheers, just the very dib dab. I will try to source one in the UK though. Thanx - Xanthe

I use an Azoo Palm Filter on my 5, coupled with a bunch of turkey baster siphoning. At one point, I had 2 filters on it, an Azoo Palm Filter and a generic filter that looked like an Azoo. The generic was too noisy, and in the end I removed it because it was driving me nut-bar. The Azoo is quiet and a sponge for a Whisper 20 fits it perfectly. I'm probably going to get a second Azoo palm filter once I get my next paycheck, because I liked the water circulation having two gave me, and the added filter helped keep the water stats stable.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...21&N=2004+22769

as far as i'm concerned frogs when alone can live in the toilet for months if fed. thyre not to picky about water conditions as long as it isnt salty or have any copper in it.

as for substrate they prefer sand as was already mentioned theyre food tends to fall between the cracks of gravel. also they are nocturnal animals and prefer to be out when the lights are off so if you want to see them alot like i did i bought a pure blue actinic blue light and had dark gravel. the frogs were out all the time and always breeding.

frogs are pretty low maintainence when theyre by themselves if simple things that can cause stress , like light, copper, and wrong substrate are eliminated. they also prefer to be in groups and are very social and do better in groups of 6 and up.

They seem preety cool lil critters! im thinking of having two in my community tank when i get it all set up!, ny gf wants some tetra's and that kind ogf thing in there but from what i have read i think they will be fine! how much these guys cost in the uk anyone know?
Greg :D

They seem preety cool lil critters! im thinking of having two in my community tank when i get it all set up!, ny gf wants some tetra's and that kind ogf thing in there but from what i have read i think they will be fine! how much these guys cost in the uk anyone know?
Greg :D

Depending where you shop they are usually £1.99 - £2.50

Thank ya emma! do they produce amonia to? just like fish?
Greg. B)

bumpy bumpy!

are the frogs hardy or do they need perfect water conditions?

Aqua dude. Anything that excretes waste in a tank is a consumer of ammonia.
ADFs make quite a bit of mess for their size, but if you keep up on water changes they should be fine.
They arent what i'd call hardy, and should be used for cycling at all, but they arent weak either.

Most reactions

Back