New Tank Set Up Confusion

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LeopardLady

Reaction score
Hi I am brand new to fish keeping and am a bit confused with my new tank set up and just when I am supposed to put fish in etc.

I bought a 24L starter tank that came with a filter from a large, national pet store and asked for advice re what I need to put in to prepare the tank for fish.  

I was recommended Bio Active Tap Safe which dechlorinates tap water and adds bacteria needed.  

Set up the tank on Sunday midday and rinsed all gravel and ornaments in running water before adding to the tank with tap water and added tap safe.  The filter is on and has been running since Sunday.

Yesterday (Tuesday) noticed that the water was cloudy and thought something must be wrong as I believe it is too soon for the tank to be cycling yet(?).  

Went back to the shop last night and bought an API Master Test Kit and conducted the tests last night, with the following results:

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
High Range pH: 7.4

The pet shop said I could start adding fish on Wednesday (today) but I am loathe to do so as the water is still cloudy although I have not tested the water today.

Can anyone give any advice on what I need to do now?   Is it safe to add fish yet?  Do I just need to be more patient?

Thanks and I am sorry this is probably such a basic thing to ask about but I don't want to buy fish only for them to die.  

Hiya, welcome to the forum.

The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom, many new tanks get it, and it's nothing to worry about.

You really need to learn about the nitrogen cycle. There is a section up top of this forum called "Beginners Resource Centre", which has a load about this, but the potted version is this:-

Fish produce ammonia.
Ammonia is toxic
The filter needs to grow bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite.
Nitrite is also toxic
THe filter needs to grow some different bacteria to convert nitrite to nitrate.
Nitrate at low concentrations is not toxic, and you keep concentration in check via water changes.

"Cycling" is the process of growing those two types of bacteria. "Bioload" is the amount of ammonia produced by your fish in a given timescale. When a filter has grown enough bacteria to handle the bioload, it is termed "Cycled".

There is much debate as to the usefulness of the "Bacteria-in-a-bottle" products, and there are a couple of brands which have been shown to work. However, TapSafe, as far as I'm aware is not even a BIAB product, it's just a dechlorinator.

So, what we always recommend people to do is a "fishless cycle" which means adding your own ammonia (from a bottle) to simulate a large bioload, greatly in excess of what you will actually have. This is how we recommend people to do that. mainly because there is no possibility of harming fish in the process. It normally takes about 3 or 4 weeks to accomplish, the downside is that you just have a tank full of water, and the mother-in-law constantly whinges at you about not having fish yet. (Or was that just me?)

Don't apologise for the asking basic questions, we were all beginners once, we all made mistakes, but hopefully our experience can help you avoid the bigger ones!

Don't be sorry! And no, it's not as basic as it sounds at all.

While it is possible to do a fish-in cycle (I did it and some other folks do here, too) the overwhelming majority of people would advise a fishless cycle. Excellent guides can be found here; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

You're right, it is too early for your tank to be cycled, the cloudiness is usually due to a bacterial bloom and is perfectly normal for newly set up tanks, especially those with added bacteria from a bottle. So don't worry about that!

Read carefully the guide by TwoTankAmin a couple of times to get used to the idea of the process behind the Nitrogen cycle. You've already got a decent testing kit so you're well on your way to doing it correctly.

Welcome to the forum and it's always an idea to just quickly double check with the guys and gals on here if you're not sure about advice given by your LFS!

welcomeani.gif
To TFF! You've come to the right place. There's a wealth of experienced members who are only too willing to help and give advice.
Better to do a fishless cycle in a few weeks than a fish-in which can take months and is top-heavy in water changes and harmful to fish (and any other aquarium occupants)

I did a fish in cycle. There was water changes daily for 2 months. This reduced to around water changes every 3 days for another 1-2 months. I only started with 3 platys. It took me 4.5 months to be fully cycled.

I hate to burst anyone's balloon, but stage one of a fish in cycle should be completed in about 5 weeks when done properly.

Water changes should only be done if either NH3 rises beyond "safe" levels or if the fish show signs of ammonia poisoning. They should almost never be done for nitrite as it can be handled by adding a bit of salt (actually the chloride part of salt) to the water. It is the lack of understanding such things that almost always make it a very poor idea for folks new to the hobby to attempt fish in cycling.

It is much easier and safer to go fishless.

The thing is not many people do know how to do it properly, TTA and fish suffer and possibly die in the process. So when are you going to write the definitive sister article to fishless cycling for people who stumble into fish-in cycling through bad advice as the OP nearly did? Then you won't have to keep repeating yourself. We are simply trying to advise the same as you - that fishless is easier and safer.

Welcome LeopardLady.  I am relatively new to fish keeping (<1year) and have found the info and advice on this forum very useful.  Much better to get your info here than at the LFS.

Hi people thank you for the replies and welcomes.

Unfortunately have had to start a fish in cycle as other half came home with fish with the kids as the pet shop said it would be ok as tank been set up for at least three days ('discussions' followed and it has been agreed that all fish things are now solely my responsibility 
wink.png
 ).

So I'm monitoring the ammonia levels and so far the highest reading is 0.25ppm which was tonight, with a pH of 7.6 and the Nitrite and Nitrate both at 0ppm.

Any advice on fish in cycling would be much appreciated as I really don't want these four little danios to die.

Thanks 

The previously pinned article of fish-in cycling has been removed so i think you need TwoTankAmin's advice as he seems to be the only who knows how to do a fish-in cycle properly.
Have you asked the LFS if they'll have th fish back until you can cycle the tank safely?

LeopardLady said:

So I'm monitoring the ammonia levels and so far the highest reading is 0.25ppm which was tonight, with a pH of 7.6 and the Nitrite and Nitrate both at 0ppm.

Any advice on fish in cycling would be much appreciated as I really don't want these four little danios to die.

I am not saying which is the best scientific way or nor do I claim to be an expert but they will not die if you keep an eye on them and keeep on top of things.
Only thing that will really kill or harm them is high ammonia, nitrites or possibly extremely high nitrates.

This is how I did mine :  --- 
Tested water parameters every morning and every evening 
Did a large partial water change whenever I saw a reading for ammonia or nitrites on the test kit.
Never touched or cleaned filter, substrate etc just let the bacteria build up.

i know every cycle is different and there is no set rule but Mine fully cycled in around 4 weeks so obviously my regular large partial water changes didn't seem to affect or slow my cycle in any way.

Not sure that danios are suitable for a cramped 24 litre tank though no matter how established they still need swimming space

Most reactions

Back