New Tank Questions

texyank

Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up my first tank with live plants and have a couple questions that searching the forum did not resolve

I am using a canister filter with an in-line heater in a 55 gallon tank - trying to keep as much hardware out of the tank as possible. Are there any advantages to using a spray bar as opposed to a single return outlet

My lighting is a Coralife with four 65 watt compact flourescent bulbs at 6500K each. I know that's too much. Will removing two bulbs get me in the right range?

I'm planning on using Eco Complete as a substrate with a little black sand over it for some sparkle. Decorations will be basically stones and a little driftwood. Just enough too highlight the plants and fish. This will be a community tank, probably all Amazonian.

I would entertain any suggestions as to what plants to use. I've been keeping fish for years, but never attempted a planted tank before. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I'm in the process of setting up my first tank with live plants and have a couple questions that searching the forum did not resolve

I am using a canister filter with an in-line heater in a 55 gallon tank - trying to keep as much hardware out of the tank as possible. Are there any advantages to using a spray bar as opposed to a single return outlet

My lighting is a Coralife with four 65 watt compact flourescent bulbs at 6500K each. I know that's too much. Will removing two bulbs get me in the right range?

I'm planning on using Eco Complete as a substrate with a little black sand over it for some sparkle. Decorations will be basically stones and a little driftwood. Just enough too highlight the plants and fish. This will be a community tank, probably all Amazonian.

I would entertain any suggestions as to what plants to use. I've been keeping fish for years, but never attempted a planted tank before. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Advantages of a spray bar are that you can create less current through the tank and more surface agitation to add oxygen. With a planted tank, you want minimal agitation so that the plants have CO2, which they will turn into oxygen. I have a submerged spray bar angled upwards which creates small ripples on the surface.

With 2 bulbs, you'll be over 2 watts per gallon. This is a high tech set up and would require CO2 injection for your plants. Sticking to around 1 watt per gallon is best for low tech, depends which you want? 1 bulb would be the low tech solution.

As for plants, I've only ever had the basics, but I've found Vallis is easy to keep. Amazon swords look nice, but I struggle to keep them alive. Anubias, Java Fern, Crypts and aponogeton are supposedly easy to keep plants

Most reactions

Back