new tank plants dying

leksie

Reaction score
Hi

I have a had my first tank going for just under a week now, I have two plants in there, an amazon sword, and sorry, I forget the name of the other one. But I was told at the store and from what I read on the net they are both hardy plants.

But they are dying :( The amazons leaves are nearly all brown now, what should I do. The lights are on 10hrs and the tank also gets some natural light. They are planted in smallish gravel, I havent added any fertiliser or anything. Could it be the temp? I have to check the temp, as I am not sure if my heater is working properly.

Some lfs stores wil sell plants that are not aquatic. And i fear this may be your case. If so, ask when u buy them, or do some good research for yourself, find a plant that will suite your tank and your liking, and then hunt down that plant! Thats what i do. Sometimes my tank looks bare, but finding and buying the plant u want cant get any more satisfying. Goodluck.

Another point is that on change of situation, a lot of plants die back and then re-grow. Swords are sometimes grown out of water, when placed back under water, they loose their terrestrial leaves and grow back the much softer submerged forms.

I'd still be looking at the light first though.

Light is the most important factor and not the length of time the lights are on but the watts per gallon. Also, it seems to me that in a newly established tank the plants don't do as well. They probably need the nitrates from the nitrogen cycle.

I did something similar to you and put a sword plant in a new tank. It looked as if it was going to die also, but two months later it's starting to grow back. At first it seemed like I was pulling off as many old leaves as new ones growing in, but now the older leaves seem to stay healthy longer. I also put an anubias in the tank and it died after two weeks.

Two things I did also was to add additional lighting to get it up from 1.7 to 2.3 wpg and to add some micronutrient fertilizer. Well, that was until the tank started to get overrun by hair algae. Now, I'm trying to interrupt the light cycle and I cut back on the fertilizer. It's hard to find the proper balance but don't give up. Over time you'll get it right.

Thanks. Im not sure how bright the light is to be honest, it is an Aqua One 32 L and came with a standard light. It is a decent light, but I'm not sure what is needed for growing plants.

I bought the plants from a tropical tank at a reputable shop, are you saying even Amazon Swords are sometimes grown on land first. So should I persist and just remove the brown leaves (thats getting to be uhh..most of them, are the dead heh) I dont wanna resort to plastic but I'm a student and cant afford more plants all the time :(

I piled some river stones around each base to help keep them secure, could this be a problem?

Does anyone use fertilser?

eta, Oh I see you do foundmoney. Is it expensive, and do you have to take any special precautions with the fish in there?

It sounds like you just don't have enough light to adequately grow plants. Amazon swords are supposed to be able to grow in low light but they don't really thrive. Any growth you have will be negated by the leaves that die on you. Also, I think it takes a while for the roots of an Amazon sword to take hold but when they do, the root system is elaborate and growth should be better. I'd say this will take about two to three months.

The light bulb should actually say how many watts it is on it, although if it's just a single florescent tube it's probably around 30 watts. Then you need to divide the number of watts by the gallons of water in the tank. So if you have a 30 watt bulb in a 30 gallon tank you have 1 watt per gallon. Ideally, even for low light plants, you should be up a little higher, say 1.5. When you get to 2-3 watts per gallon then you have moderate lighting and above 3 watts per gallon you have high lighting.

Since you're on a budget, I would see if I could find a florescent strip light at a Home Depot or local hardward store. This will be much cheaper than buying lights specifically for the aquarium. The downside is trying to get them to fit but I would look around. I know I've spent far too much money on "aquarium" lighting myself.

Before you start adding any fertilizer your first priority is to get your tank cycled. If you're not sure what that is you need to read up a little more. Your second priority is to get more lighting. If you don't have enough light then your plants won't grow and fertilizers will just screw up your tank, probably by causing unwanted algae to grow. There is also a type of clay that is high in iron called Laterite that can be added to your substrate. Generally, it goes on the bottom layer but if you've already put in your gravel then it probably doesn't make sense to add it.

Once your tank is cycled and you have more light then you can think about fertilizer. There are generally two types for the aquarium, liquid and root tabs. Make sure they are aquarium fertilizers because otherwise you will be adding nitrates and other "macronutrients" to your tank, which will cause problems. You want fertilizers that contain "micronutrients", mostly iron and other trace minerals. Use liquid fertilizer for plants that get their nutrients from the water column and root tabs for rooted plants, like sword plants.

You might want to try some other plants that might do better under low light conditions. One plant that I've had very good luck with, and I'm even considering just growing that just so I don't have to worry about plants anymore, is anacharis. It grows quickly under low light although it is much fuller and greener under brighter light. It will help keep algae under control as it will outcompete the algae for the nutrients in the water.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any more advice.

If you have brown leaves, take them out. As soon as you see leaves that look like they are dying, pinch the stems as close to the base as you can. The plant knows the leave is going, and tries harder to make it live, so it focus' making it better... send it all the nutrients. If you remove the dying leaf, then the rest of the plant should start to grow better... assuming you have enough light for it.

Also, Swords suck most of their nurtients up from their roots, so if you are going to fertalize, you need to get root tabs.

Hope that helps

Thanks foundmoney, my tank isnt 32gallon however (I wish) but 32 Litres. This is just under 10 US gallons.

I trimmed back the amazon sword and the other plant and got some elodea, looks much better now. GUess I"ll just see how it goes

Oh, my bad! Somehow I thought it was bigger. So actually, you might be in good shape with lighting. Were you able to see how many watts the bulb is?

Most reactions

Back