New Tank - No Center Braces

keiths

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently got a new 225 gallon tank. It is 72x24x30 (LxWxH). The thing I'm worried about is that it doesn't have any center braces. It is an older tank and I know older tanks didn't always have them and have thicker glass. I haven't measured how thick the glass is because there's a frame around it and it's hard to tell exactly how thick it is. Anyway do you guys think it needs a center brace? The other problem is I don't have a way to put a glass canopy on top of it since the only ones I have found are 24x24 and requires center braces.

if the tank has a metal frame around the glass then it probably doesn't need support strips (braces) across it. But I would try to stick some on anyway. The glass is normally 10mm thick for a tank that is 72in long x 24in wide & 24in high. For a taller tank of 30in you normally go up to 12mm for the sides and 15 for the base. If the tank has been set up before without any problems then the glass is fine for it and you can use 10mm glass for the support strips.

So how would I go about adding the braces? What should they be made of and what should I use to connect them?

Nice tank! I have a 180 gallon tank with 1/2 inch glass, it has a center support and it's 72 x 24x 24. I would definately feel better adding a support with a tank that large, sounds like you will need to have some glass cut to size and make a lid for it.

So how would I go about adding the braces? What should they be made of and what should I use to connect them?

Is the frame plastic or metal?

If it's plastic the you need a piece of glass cut to the same depth (front to back) as your tank and about 8" wide (someone can correct me on the width), cut out an 8" space at the top so your brace sits dirctly on the glass and use marine silicone to secure it on.

you will need some glass that is 10mm thick. Get 2 pieces that are about 65-70inches long x 2-3inches wide & 10mm thick. These 2 pieces get glued (with glass silicon available from any hardware or petshop) to the inside of the tank about 1/2inch below the top. They run lengthwise along the tank so the 2-3inch width is sticking out towards the middle of the tank.
It is best to lie the tank on its side when you glue one side on. Then after 24hours, turn the tank over and glue the other side on.

After this you will need to glue a couple more pieces of glass across the width of the tank. These cross members are usually about 4inches wide and get glued onto the support strips. If your tank is 24inches wide then the cross members will be about 23inches long x 4 inches wide & 10mm thick. You usually have 2 cross members on a 6ft tank. The tank can be sitting up normally when you glue the cross members in place. They are positioned evenly on the support strips about 22inches in from each end.

The frame on my tank already has a small lip. Will I still need to get the long 65-70" long pieces?

you normally have the support strips run the length of the tank, (they are a couple of inches shorter than the tank). This is so they grip the glass better and prevent the glass from bowing outwards as much. Shorter support strips can be used if you like, especially if the tank has a metal frame.

The other reason to have support strips running the full length is so the coverglass have something to rest on.

you normally have the support strips run the length of the tank, (they are a couple of inches shorter than the tank). This is so they grip the glass better and prevent the glass from bowing outwards as much. Shorter support strips can be used if you like, especially if the tank has a metal frame.

The other reason to have support strips running the full length is so the coverglass have something to rest on.

It sounds like you know what you're talking about Colin, but is all this nessessary? I've owned large tanks and have even had tanks custom built for me and have never seen this (mind you this was several years ago). A glass center support running from front to back should prevent any possible bowing and the lip at the top was made for the coverglass to sit on. Am I wrong or could you be over-thinking this?

Yep I'm overthinking the problem :) The main reason I would be concerned is if the frame isn't good, and this combined with the 30inch height, puts a lot of pressure on the glass and could quite easily cause it to bow outwards.
If the tank has a metal frame around it, and the frame is well designed, then you don't need the supports or cross members. However if keith is really concerned then he should put some supports on it.
If the lip on the metal frame is suitable, then use that for the covers.

the long support strips (that run along the front and back of the tank) are about 2-3inches wide, usually 2 inches. And the cross members, (go from front to the back of the tank) are normally 4inches wide.

Most reactions

Back