New Tank Help For A Fool (Updated With Pics)

Yes it's a zebra danio and I suggest returning it because on here people are saying minimum for a danio is a 4 ft. Tank and they also like shoals of 6+

Ok. Thanks. We are back from the shop, and have some old filter inserts to put in, so I have put those in the filter, and have some left over so should I put that in the tank? I have also been given a bottle from the store which they said I should put in the water. The translation of the Chinese is ' universal fish medicine ' and on the side it says to give it to prevent the fish from getting sick ("give before the fish are sick"). Instructions say to put 4 drops in every 10 litres. That would be 44 drops for our tank! Is that recommended or safe, or should we just forget that for now. I'm midway through the water change but doing it very slowly so I don't shock them with a temperature change.

They seem to eat a lot too. I'm using the 5 minute rule, but they seem to eat a big pinch in 1 or 2 minutes. 2 and a half pinches seems like a lot.

As much as they can eat in a minute or two is fine. Fish don't have any 'mechanism' to tell them they're full like mammals have, so they will just carry on eating and eating, if you give them food.

You want to try and keep feeding to a minimum while you're cycling, as more food = more ammonia, and you don't want that!

I wouldn't use the fish medicine, as we don't know what it is. Plenty of water changes are your best friend right now :good:

Most reactions

Back