New Tank, Brown Cloudy Water

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishfoo

Reaction score
Sorry to raise this issue again, perhaps it's my impatience. I set up my tank at 10am yesterday with aquarium sand which was rigorously rinsed, along with the ornaments (wood and rock), added tapsafe and filter start. There has been absolutely no improvement in the cloudyness of the water which is an awful brown colour. Even the filter (which has been running since yesterday) has a brown film around the edges.

Should I:
a)remove the ornaments and wash them again
b)do a large water change
c)do nothing?

TIA

Hi, Im a newbie and by no means expert. My tank is cycling at the moment, its two weeks old. It was looking very brown, today I did a significant water change, maybe 40%. That was at 10 am, its looking quite nice now.

Either nothing or if you want too do a water change.
It could be muck from the substrate or tannis leaching from the bog wood, this is not a bad thing (most of the time) it will slightly lower your PH which is fine if keeping SA or asian fish but if you have fish which need a higher PH or are cycling your tank then i wold remove the bog wood. But the brownness will reduce with water changes.
Lloyd

The brown will be coming out of the wood most likely. Am I right in guessing it's a new piece of bogwood?

I had the same problem with mine, your best soaking it for a couple of days in a bucket, change the water in the bucket as often as you can. I even used hot water once a day to 'stew' the brown out of the wood. I soaked mine for 4 days before putting it in my tank, even after this time I found after about 1/2 weeks the water in my tank would be dark brown again. I took mine out and soaked in a bucket for a further 3/4 weeks until the water only turns a light yellow before putting it back into my tank. I was informed the chemical given off by the wood isn't anything you need to worry to much about and can infact be beneficial to some fish.

It's annoying having to soak it, as you sound like me, just eager to get your tank set up and looking pretty. You'll find once the dark brown goes it'll make your water go a light yellowish colour over about 1-2weeks, this I find looks quite good and adds a nice natural tint to the water. Doing 50% water changes makes the colour almost completely disappear.

Hope this helps :good:

It does Neon, thanks. Thanks Electro and Wend too. I will remove the bog wood and soak it for a couple of weeks accompanied by a large water change.

Soaking time will probably depend on the size of the bogwood. Hot water definitely speeds up the process. Good luck with your tank, what size and what fishies you got or getting?

I have a 120 litre Interpet Fishbox. I had to re-think my prospective community so here is what I am now hoping for, let me know if any aren't compatible or if it's over stocking:

2 x Angelfish
2 x Bolivian Rams
2 x Dwarf Gourami
1 x Borneo Sucker Loach
Some Tetras maybe Rummynose?

I have a 120 litre Interpet Fishbox. I had to re-think my prospective community so here is what I am now hoping for, let me know if any aren't compatible or if it's over stocking:

2 x Angelfish
2 x Bolivian Rams
2 x Dwarf Gourami
1 x Borneo Sucker Loach
Some Tetras maybe Rummynose?

Its not big enough for 2 Anglefish so stick with a single one.

A~T

Most reactions

Back