new tank; big problem?

fiffreak59

Reaction score
It seems as though my (brand new) fish are being sucked too close to the filter. They are right under it.

I have a new 2.5 gallon tank, which has been running a few days with treated water before I added the fish(3 small tetras). It seems as though they are hiding, because they stay there even after I turned the filter off. I'm afraid to turn it back on because I don't want them to die for some sucky reason (pun intended), but at the same time, I don't want the water to become nasty and they die for that reason. I've waited a few hours before adding food. I've done everything that the petsmart people have said and everything on the petsmart guide I had found on the net. I think they're scared and just need a little time because of the stress of moving from the pet store to home, but I wanted a second opinion.

Thanks.

-Matt

hey Matt,

regardless of what size tank you have, its going to begin an ammonia cycling phase (read the "getting started", and "cycling" articles on the home page of this site) and unfortunately, people at petsmart dont always tell you this. -_- i should know. i work there! :blink: anyhow, you fish need hiding space, and they also need adequate heating and filtration (for tetras, most definately. the only fish that dont require heating are goldfish and in some cases bettas are ok without it too.) they may have failed to mention this also. another thing is the inch per gallon ratio they may have omitted... you cannot safely keep 3 tetras of any kind in a 2.5 gal tank. the only thing able to live in there would be a betta. all tetras (although i assume youre talking about neon tetras - the blue and red striped ones?) need at least 1.5-2 gallons per fish, MINIMUM. the rule is 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water. (there are exceptions to this rule, but for now, its the best rule of thumb). and though many petsmart employees like to tell you to run your tank for anywhere from 1 - 7 days before adding fish (blah blah blah), this is a useless process. the water will be the same day 250 as it was on day 1 unless you add fish or do a fishless ammonia cycle. :crazy:

as for your fish getting sucked up by the filter... petsmart neons (they are the only kind i can speak for) are famous for that, so by giving them ample hiding spots and even netting your intake valve, you may reduce this risk. the other reason they may be hovering there is if your water doesnt have enough oxygen in it. 3 fish in a 2.5 gal, no matter what size they are, will deplete the oxygen level in the water very rapidly. :sick: my suggestion? take the neons back with your reciept and get a refund (i assume its been less than 14 days??)... then buy a betta for your little tank and save up for a 10 gallon tank or larger... then you can keep all the tetras your heart desires! :D

sorry for the long, convoluted answer, but it sounds like my fellow collegues are, once again, mis-informing customers. dont worry, its not your fault. they just arent always very well trained in the specifics... :*)

if you have any more questions, dont hesitate to ask...

sincerely, Skye

ps welcome to the forum! :hi:

I wouldnt say it is just Petssmart, i found it in numerous pet stores...

My advice, listen to the people here, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT...

I learnt alot from here, despite half the advice they give you is stuff you dont want to hear, it is always done for your sake and the fish... I myself on countless occasions have gone into Pet's at home, and proven them so wrong by slamming my fishy fact folder on the till area and showing them the information and facts and shut them up on the spot

(My parents said they are never taking me there again)

but tetra's like hiding places, they prefer floating weed above all, because they are constantly on a high the mid level in the water, so some floating artifical or some real surface plants for some tetra and you will find they wont verture too far from the floating plants unless they are being fed... However these type plants wont fit into a small 2.5 gallon tank, you will need a larger tank 10 gallon or more... Tanks actually recently are becoming cheaper than what they used to be as well, i was shocked to find a simple 15 gallon tank for just 15 quid the other day...

But as skye said... You need to cycle your tank first, because it is more friendly towards the fish

;)

Well, thank you both. I'm most likely going to take them back tomorrow when I have time. I've got a major research paper due friday and I was at a huge Seminary Library all day getting more sources. I'll probably get a bigger tank when I move out of the dorms into an apartment after I graduate in May.

Thanks again.

-Matt

Matt,

glad to hear we could help! youre going to be a good fish parent, i can see it already! B)
if i were you, i'd exchange the neons and get a betta for your tank, till you leave the dorms. theyre soooo easy to care for, and they act more like puppy dogs than fish (follow you around the room watching you, come to you when you bring food etc.) he'll love your little tank! :D

(ps i think i just repeated myself... oops. guess my sales skills are coming out... im a bit biased towards bettas.. ive always had many!)

happy fish keeping!

cheers,
Skye

Most reactions

Back