New Tank And New Filter...putting In Old Media?

mrvillicus

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone tonight i got my 3ft tank (36x12x15). My tetratec in400 filter is not even a month old and is made for upto 60 litres. Ive worked the new tank out to carry approx 127 litres/28 gallons, so my question is...it came with a fluval u1 filter, do I just put my tetratec media into the fluval? the fluval shape is different to the tetratec or can I get away with using my nice new in the middle of cycling tetratec in400 filter??

You can either run them both at the same time and remove the old one later or try and stuff as much media in the new from the old.

i might just put my tetratec media in, the fluval one is kinda u shaped where as my tetratec is 2 single bits. My understanding is that the water has got to go through the media, whatever shape...plus after reading on the fluval u1 that too is designed for tanks upto 60 litres so im a bit stumped here haha i think a new filter is in order now :(

it looks like my tetratec filter is doing the job the waters very clear since ladt night

it looks like my tetratec filter is doing the job the waters very clear since ladt night

well i havent got any obviously and my question is clearly in the first post "so my question is...it came with a fluval u1 filter, do I just put my tetratec media into the fluval? the fluval shape is different to the tetratec or can I get away with using my nice new in the middle of cycling tetratec in400 filter??" if you cant see that then who knows?

i know i wondered that! currently ive got my tetratec in400 which is for tanks upto 60ltr and it seems to be working ok my waters crystal

when I got my juwel at xmas (brand new) I crambed all the sponge media from my old interpet PF2 into the juwel, fed lightly and kept an eye on my stats and I did okay.

Had a mini cycle but a few water changes did the job.

I know nothing about the filters you mention though so I'll leave that to those that do. I can only say you might be better running both if neither are large enough in capacity to cope with the tank size.

I do know that media cycles to the amount of fish so by putting the cycled filter in and running the new one at the same time would make sense in the situation your in.

Hope that helps you

Akasha

mmm sounds good to me akasha, ive only got 3 neon tetra and 3 red fin columbian tetra so theyre not producing much waste i suppose

Most reactions

Back