New Starter

Do different species of fish tend to breed? By looking at them the Mollies are male and the Platys are female.

some species can interbreed, i don't think that mollies and platy's can.

mollies and guppies definately can (you get muppies!!) and i think platys and swordies can but not 100% sure.

I think i've been misguided!! I asked friends and family who as supposed to know it all. I was told that fish don't tend to breed in the sort of enviroment they're in now. So now i have to keep my eye on it incase theres any babies floating around. I think i might just get myself a net just incase!!! I hate to think any babies are being eaten!

If you have a fair few plants, then some fry should survive. Around a year ago, I was just giving my fish their twice-weekly frozen Daphnia when something caught my eye, right at the top of the waterline. It was a single fry. I'd long since traded in the last of my Livebearers and hadn't seen any eggs ANYWHERE in the tank when doing maintenance. I popped it into a breeding net in the tank and a couple of weeks later found it to be a Dwarf Neon Rainbow fry. I can only think it had VERY good hiding skills. Still got it now - I just couldn't bring myself to part with her, not after surviving that long.

Theres not alot of decoration in the tank at the mo. Theres two fake plants and a castle ornament. I want to get live plants but want to find out more info before putting them in.

All of this won't matter much if the fish are swimming in ammonia and/or nitrite. I'd say learning about test kits is still the first order of business here to confirm/deny the state of the cycling.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back