New Planting Substrate

mrapoc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

Currently my plants are doing amazingly well in "normal" gravel and I want to rescape soon anyway.

Im looking to get some of this gravel which is good for planting (roots etc.) plus give the plants food without changing water chemistry.

Am i right in thinking this gravel would replace having to put a food bag in (needs changing soon anyway) and does not need changing often

Like how long does it last, how much for a 70 litre tank (i want a nice depth for planting unlike my current solution), which one to buy, where from and errrm

yeh :good:

I dont know what you mean by a food bag?

aquasoil is the best, but pricey, but you get what you pay for, i would then reccomend eco-complete, and then tetraplant (this needs capping) aim for about 3" in depth for substrate. The substrate will last for years.

aquasoil & eco complete

Tetraplant

sorry should have been more specific

I got a bag free with my plants, which you put in the water. it releases plant food slowly over 2 months or something

will have a looky at ur links cheers

which size would you recommend for my 24x12" tank?

i dont need the best really - im quite a beginner and just want my plants to flourish and stop dying :(

Im already dosin flourish excel and kn03 mind you :)

Is one 9kg bag of eco-complete large enough for my tank

Also, one major thing, is it ok for corys and MTS?

apparently i need at least two bags...

damn expensive!?

any alternatives?

what about the tetraplant i mentioned above? it would only cost you £12 and the cost of the substrate on top unless you use the gravel you have now.

what about the tetraplant i mentioned above? it would only cost you £12 and the cost of the substrate on top unless you use the gravel you have now.

so 1 tub of that, plus say some black gravel on top. surely im gonna end up mixing it eventually unless its almost like a clay base?

yes it is like a clay based, it may mixwith sand but not with gravel, because the tetraplant is finer grained, then that will keep going underneathso not to much of a problem.

Most reactions

Back