New Plant - What Is It?

Texas5.0

Reaction score
I just got a new plant and can't find anything about it. Not even what it's called.I'll try to describe it as best I can.The leaves are shaped like this one but they are pink.Also... the label that was on the pot said S.R. Butterfly.I googled it and was unable to locate anything about it.

Attachments

• Plant.jpg
    Plant.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 28
Here she be...

Attachments

• The_Plant2.JPG
    The_Plant2.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 25
I have a houseplant that looks Exactly like that. Hold on ill see if i can figure it out.

Surely it's not a houseplant... they wont make it submersed will they?

Surely it's not a houseplant... they wont make it submersed will they?

If it is a houseplant, then no, it will not survive long-term submerged. Where did you buy it? An LFS?

Not sure what and LFS is. But I bought it from a local fish store.. Locally owned and operated by a man and his wife who have been in the aquarium business for years. The plant guy was not in when I bought it and the owner said he did not know what it was. I am sure they are not sticking house plants in a small pot and selling them as submersibles. Any other possibilities?

Many fish shops do that, even the most well respected one. Possibly it's a tiger lotus lily, but it doesn't look to be.

I am sure they are not sticking house plants in a small pot and selling them as submersibles.
What makes you so sure? :) It is an incredibly common practice. So many people treat the plants as disposable and really don't mind replacing them every couple of months, and lot's of people prefer the looks of the non-aquatics too.

My vote goes for a Syngonium species too, often sold as an aquatic, they can do very well if you keep the leaves above the water :good:.

I called the store and explained to them that I was concerned that they sold me a house plant. They stated they would contact the plant company and ask for more information about it. A few minutes later they called me back and explained that this particular plant is in fact a Syngonium. It is used as a "temporary" aquatic plant. Short of the long is they apologized, gave me store credit, told me to keep the plant and stated they would be looking for a new plant supplier.

Thanks for you help.

Will it hurt anything by being in the tank other than a short plant life?

I called the store and explained to them that I was concerned that they sold me a house plant. They stated they would contact the plant company and ask for more information about it. A few minutes later they called me back and explained that this particular plant is in fact a Syngonium. It is used as a "temporary" aquatic plant. Short of the long is they apologized, gave me store credit, told me to keep the plant and stated they would be looking for a new plant supplier.

Thanks for you help.

Will it hurt anything by being in the tank other than a short plant life?
How lucky you are to have a lfs which is honourable and user-friendly and what an excellent way to build trust and long term business with you.

Most reactions

Back