New Orange Chromide Not Eatin

jonny5

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so i initially had 2 juvenile orange chromides and 1 of them died (due to stress from krib im almost certain) and the only casualty in the tank so far after 3 months.

So i replaced him with a full grown guy, the old juvenile and big guy get along fine and the big guy is moderatly active. He stares out the side of the tank alot but does move around swimming a bit and does not seem to be getting picked on by anyone.

However, he does not feed when all the other fish due (including the small juvenile orange chromide), i have yet to see him feed and its been a week. I do have sinking algae waffers and sinking shrimp pellets for gobies and mollies so he could be eating those at night, but i am concered that he does not feel the feed drive when the rest of the fish almost boil the water when i drop in the flakes/dried bloodworms/frozen mysis shrimp.

any ideas as to why?

so i initially had 2 juvenile orange chromides and 1 of them died (due to stress from krib im almost certain) and the only casualty in the tank so far after 3 months.

So i replaced him with a full grown guy, the old juvenile and big guy get along fine and the big guy is moderatly active. He stares out the side of the tank alot but does move around swimming a bit and does not seem to be getting picked on by anyone.

However, he does not feed when all the other fish due (including the small juvenile orange chromide), i have yet to see him feed and its been a week. I do have sinking algae waffers and sinking shrimp pellets for gobies and mollies so he could be eating those at night, but i am concered that he does not feel the feed drive when the rest of the fish almost boil the water when i drop in the flakes/dried bloodworms/frozen mysis shrimp.

any ideas as to why?

any ideas? i want to solve this issue before he dies of stavation, i dont have a quarantine tank(well one with a filter and heater that is), but i was thinking of using my 1gallon water change bucket and keeping him in it while floating it on top of the water and trying to feed him from there, sound like a plan?

Wish I could help you, all I've found in my "research" is that they "Can be fussy at times and refuse to eat dry food or any type of food on occasions." Don't know if that means they're willing to starve themselves or if that means they'll hold out for some particular food or what.

I would like to ask where you got him. I live in the US and I can't find Orange Chromides anywhere.

Good luck,

C-Bull

ya i had to track them down, still looking for a asian tongue sole, figure 8 puffer and dragon goby but nothing.
The poor guy died though, my jewel also died (though for jewel i assume it was for high salt content, but he was very active and healthy at 1.003sg for a few months now.)

i have bought 3 orange chromides and 2 have died now and i have no idea why, the one survivor is doing just fine though. The fish did not have bloat or any scares or any form of external damage/parasites/white spots, nothing.

All the other fish are perfectly fine, no toxins at all, a brown algae problem but because of the algae nitrates are undetecable. I feel bad because i didnt know how to help them.

I live in southern california, i found the orange chomides in 2 places, Neptunes reef off of PCH and torrance blvd, and Jims exotic fish in el segundo. If you happen to live in southern california, you can find them there.

What i would love are wild type chromides, but im not paying 20 bucks for 2 and then 35 bucks in shipping to get them.

btw, i dont think food was an issues, i feed a variety, flakes, freeze dried blood worms, frozen mysis shrimp, sinking shrimp pellets, algae waffers, and the occasional cooked pea.

Unfortunately, I live in Tucson, so it'd be a heck of a drive for me and the fish. I've seen Fig 8's (Desert Pet) and Dragon Gobies (Tropical Kingdom and wal-mart of all places) around here though. I'd suggest a fish trade if I had any confidence about shipping them, I included the links to those LFSs' crummy websites in case they would ship to you. Where did you get the quote on the wild-type chromides? I might be willing to pay that price at this point. Those two shops I linked you, apart from the big-box pet stores, are the only game in town for (non-saltwater) fish.

I might suggest you try getting some nerite snails to take care of your algae problem. They'll eat just about any kind of algae, ignore plants, and love brackish water (might actually breed in it). Just make sure you don't keep them with any puffers, except intentionally as food (at $2-4 a pop, that's expensive food).

Sorry to hear about your loss and better luck next time,

C-Bull

Unfortunately, I live in Tucson, so it'd be a heck of a drive for me and the fish. I've seen Fig 8's (Desert Pet) and Dragon Gobies (Tropical Kingdom and wal-mart of all places) around here though. I'd suggest a fish trade if I had any confidence about shipping them, I included the links to those LFSs' crummy websites in case they would ship to you. Where did you get the quote on the wild-type chromides? I might be willing to pay that price at this point. Those two shops I linked you, apart from the big-box pet stores, are the only game in town for (non-saltwater) fish.

I might suggest you try getting some nerite snails to take care of your algae problem. They'll eat just about any kind of algae, ignore plants, and love brackish water (might actually breed in it). Just make sure you don't keep them with any puffers, except intentionally as food (at $2-4 a pop, that's expensive food).

Sorry to hear about your loss and better luck next time,

C-Bull

ya ive read that its near impossible for figure 8's to kill nerites, however they ca harass and stress them to death according to one person on this forum. Right now i have 6 in there, they are doing a decent job but not enough to clear it, i lowered the salinity just a tinge (still reads 1.003) and the anacharis is growing faster now, should resolve the issue. But minus the bad look, i greatly appreciate the algae, they make nitrates thier *****.

and wild type chromides are in stock right now at

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/2457/product.web

Thanks for the link, they're just settling in now. A bit scared I might have two males, as there was one dust-up, but for the most part they actually are hanging together, so I'm optimistic. Getting along well with others, eating, and exploring. Pretty good for 12+hours in a dark box.

Absolutely gorgeous fish.

Thanks again,

C-Bull

Thanks for the link, they're just settling in now. A bit scared I might have two males, as there was one dust-up, but for the most part they actually are hanging together, so I'm optimistic. Getting along well with others, eating, and exploring. Pretty good for 12+hours in a dark box.

Absolutely gorgeous fish.

Thanks again,

C-Bull

ya im having orange chromide bad luck, so first 2 die on me with one of the originals doing great. I introduced another juvenile and the resident one started to pick on him/her heavily and i got scared. Now the newly introduced guy is very active but the old one is in the corner hiding away.
If that one dies, im down with these guys.

It might just be that you have two males, and the loser refuses to eat because he is scared and just wants to leave the stronger male's territory. You would have very bad luck in that case, having consistently gotten males. If you've just been picking the brightest fish available though, those tend to be male. Try returning one of your fish and grabbing one with slightly drabber colors. Sexing Orange Chromides isn't an exact science, but females tend to be less bright. If they're fighting when they get close they're almost certainly both male, and the loser just wants to leave.

That's my guess,

C-Bull

It might just be that you have two males, and the loser refuses to eat because he is scared and just wants to leave the stronger male's territory. You would have very bad luck in that case, having consistently gotten males. If you've just been picking the brightest fish available though, those tend to be male. Try returning one of your fish and grabbing one with slightly drabber colors. Sexing Orange Chromides isn't an exact science, but females tend to be less bright. If they're fighting when they get close they're almost certainly both male, and the loser just wants to leave.

That's my guess,

C-Bull

ya, that could be true, i cant tell the difference between them in the tanks, they all look the same to me. Maybe i should have like 4 of them, so aggression can be spread out. BTW how did the wild types come out, do they look as good as they do in the online pics or kinda more dull?

Getting multiples sounds like a good idea, it'd also just help to increase the odds of you getting what you want, which is a breeding pair or two females. A post I made to the Old World Cichlid forum got a response that all Orange Chromides will eventually whittle themselves down to one, but that was the first I'd ever heard that. At the moment, both of mine are eating, and aggression is minimal, so I'm happy enough. As for color, they actually change their own shades frequently, only the central black spot (sometimes there are 3 black spots), is constant/ and otherwise they're a mix of green and orange/red. When the lights are off, they often darken their lower half. My only complaint is that one is missing one of its pectoral fins. :sad: As in completely gone, not coming back. I am not sure whether he came that way or lost it in an early dust-up (looks like an old wound though). In either case, he's a little bad at steering, but he seems just fine otherwise (was even initially the dominant one).

Getting multiples sounds like a good idea, it'd also just help to increase the odds of you getting what you want, which is a breeding pair or two females. A post I made to the Old World Cichlid forum got a response that all Orange Chromides will eventually whittle themselves down to one, but that was the first I'd ever heard that. At the moment, both of mine are eating, and aggression is minimal, so I'm happy enough. As for color, they actually change their own shades frequently, only the central black spot (sometimes there are 3 black spots), is constant/ and otherwise they're a mix of green and orange/red. When the lights are off, they often darken their lower half. My only complaint is that one is missing one of its pectoral fins. :sad: As in completely gone, not coming back. I am not sure whether he came that way or lost it in an early dust-up (looks like an old wound though). In either case, he's a little bad at steering, but he seems just fine otherwise (was even initially the dominant one).

that makes sense, the two i bought initially lasted together fine for about a month before one died. Then i would add a new one, one at a time. Im positive it is aggression and not a disease in the tank(a relief) because i transported 1 into my freshwater tank and he started exploring and eating again. Ya, the wild types sound so nice, i should just dish out that 50 bucks for two.

I know a tad about ciclids as my brother used to have a 90gal beatiful set up. One suggestion that was made was to add a bunch at a time because then they would sort out their teritory. Versus having one who has his spot, then adding another and the first is so established that he wants to defend his spot. If you add a few at a time they all can figure it out together. Make any sence?? But if you already have one and you're sure he's a male you may try to just get say 3 females (if you can sex them which I know can be difficult)and maybe the aggression will not be as bad. Or maybe rearrage your tank right before you put the new ones in so the old fellow has to stake out a new place anyway. Just some ideas.

Am sorry to hear about you losses. :sad:

Most reactions

Back