New Or Ghetto

sXeLifer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
what kind of tank do you have, a new modern one sold with the unit, lid, lights. Or do you have an something a bit ghetto you built from the bottom up. Meaning you found an old tank and that was it, you bought a unit, lights, lid etc separately. And what do you prefer? Your ghetto tank or do you want a nice plus new one.

Hey there, Ghetto for me.

trimanmosand.jpg

2nd hand 30x12x18" clearseal aquarium, 2nd hand wrought iron stand (for 4 footer).
1st hand arcpod, boyu overhead, 250W heater, JBL e700 & e900, 1 new power head, one 2nd hand power head.
Plants all from this forum, wood mix of 2nd hand and new.

;p

I bought an old complete set-up and have gradually replaced the lights, filter, heating etc. and I much prefer it this way. I have built a modern spec tank with exactly the equiptment I want/need for less than a new complete system

All my tanks have been ghetto, up til now; just bought myself one of the new AquaNanos; it is very nice to have a tank I can just set up and plug in! Very neat looking :)

A couple I got new, a couple I went ghetto.
The new ones were when I was starting out, I know better now thanks to this forum

A couple I got new, a couple I went ghetto.
The new ones were when I was starting out, I know better now thanks to this forum
lol! I've gone the complete opposite!

After years of messing round buying filters, chopping holes in hoods, buying hoods, punching holes for lighting tubes, I just wanted something nice, with a built in filter that would actually fit together properly! it's made a lovely change (though now all my other tanks look even tattier than before :rolleyes: )

Ghetto.
Just bought the tank. No lid/glass etc. Worked my way from there as well as making the cabinet.
SL370276.jpg

Hahah, well the light on my main tank is attached with zip ties, you tell me how ghetto that is :p

I have never heard of or thought that buying something second hand to be "ghetto" Does that mean ebay is the ghetto personified? Well, there are some sweet deals and near steals to be had in the ghetto. A few weekends back a used but "like new" juwel vision 450 went for less that £300. They average price of a 450 new is over £1000 or in this thread "A G"

Ehiem and other canister filters can be found for next to nothing there considering the rrp of the product. Personally, while I'll buy related stuff from there I wouldn't buy an actual tank second hand. I'm just not that lucky and have heard too many stories on forums of the sealant in second hand tanks doing this...

300 gallons go kaput!
(Expletive filled audio so mute if need be)

Personally, while I'll buy related stuff from there I wouldn't buy an actual tank second hand. I'm just not that lucky and have heard too many stories on forums of the sealant in second hand tanks doing this...
That is my worst fear! haha. I was pretty lucky with mine. While taking the tank back to my house, we were in a car accident. Got hit from behind, and it didn't crack! So I'm claiming it was meant to be haha.

Hey there, Ghetto for me.

trimanmosand.jpg

2nd hand 30x12x18" clearseal aquarium, 2nd hand wrought iron stand (for 4 footer).
1st hand arcpod, boyu overhead, 250W heater, JBL e700 & e900, 1 new power head, one 2nd hand power head.
Plants all from this forum, wood mix of 2nd hand and new.

;p
usually i find ceramic decorations kinda corny and unappealing in most tanks, but the way you used the wood and java moss it looks sweet!

I don't think of my arrangement as ghetto. Instead I consider it a customized arrangement that suits me. All of my tanks have a purpose. As long as that purpose is being met, the tank is perfect for its use.

I have 3 brand new kit aquariums and one second hand 3-5 year old guy. You should see the lighting unit. It's not very bright. Hopefully a new light can fix it.

Most reactions

Back