New Lionfish

Jonny967

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got a new lionfish for the tank on saturday, it was advertised as a clearfin lion but i know for certain it isn't. I am struggling to determine the correct type though, i think it may be a dwarf zebra or possibly a fuzzy but it is quite small at the moment (2") so quite hard to tell. It could even be a volitan but i am not really bothered which type as they are all fantastic fish.
I need to get a good look at it but its hiding in the rock at the moment but will try and post a pic. It is already feeding on marine mix which is great considering its size, it saves me the job of target feeding :good:

Looking forward to seeing pictures :good:

Where did you get it from, what size tank have you got, have you any other fish.

:blush: Sorry for all questions but I am looking to start lionfish tank in next couple of months, so I'm soaking up all the info I can at the moment :drool:

I got it from a shop in a place called Knaresborough (i think) i was just passing through and spotted the shop. The lion is currently in my 400 litre reef tank and if it is a dwarf i think i will keep it in this tank but it if does get large i will change my 150 gallon arowana tank to a marine for him.
They are a great fish to watch feeding you just never seem to know when it will pounce at its prey. I have quite a few fish in the tank that don't seem interested by the lion, these include yellow tank, yellow boxfish, pacific tang, purple filefish, coral beauty, hawkfish, and two percs. I do however have two cleaner shrimps that may be on the menu when the lion gets bigger so will just wait and see.
Lights are off at the moment so i might be able to get some pictures as its prime hunting time for him.

Got some pictures but they arn't brilliant. He was hiding under the leather.

lion1.jpg

lion2.jpg

lion3.jpg

Got a few more pictures but very poor quality, the only time i can get a full body shot of hims is after the lights have gone out and he will then start to prowl on the front of the tank.
Used some live river shrimp last night and he was eating very well, they really stimulated him but frozen brine is also accepted.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

from what i can see he is a fuzzy dwarf lion fish. if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for him.

from what i can see he is a fuzzy dwarf lion fish. if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for him.

Cost me £25 which is reasonable i think?

I agree that he is a fuzzy lion as i had a look through my books last night to double check, the banding on the body gives it away. The Fumanchu Lionfish is similar apart from it has large whiskers that extend from the jaw.

I think it looks like Dendrochirus brachypterus, Shortfin lionfish. I have Volume 1 of Reef fishes book and your picture looks Identical to the one in there :good: :drool:

just found this link [URL="http://www.inmaldives.com/fish_details.php...nfish&id=54"]http://www.inmaldives.com/fish_details.php...nfish&id=54[/URL]

Hi Trod, you are spot on with Dendrochirus brachypterus which is also known as the Shortfin Lionfish, Dwarf Lionfish and Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish. The one in the link you posted has the red base colour which looks awesome, i also did a google image search and you wouldn't beleive some of the weird colours various lions are found to have.
Which type of lion are you thinking about? and what type of tank will you be keeping it in i.e. species, reef, FOWLR?

I'm looking to get a minimum 250l tank but hoping for 330l now :good: Probabley start with FOWLR but might add some soft corals at later stage.

I would like a Fuzzy dwarf, The Pterois Russelli and Radiata and have been looking at a scorpianfish to go with them.

I really wanted to keep a volitan as I think they are soooo beautiful :drool: but they are so big I have decided to go with the smaller more active type.

The Volitan as you say is the most beautiful of the lot, but does get a little too big. I think the only draw back with the fuzzy is that it seems to be totally nocturnal. HAve you had a look at the Fumanchu Lionfish? they get larger than the fuzzy but not as big as the Volitan.

I would actually regard dwarf fuzzy lionfish as the most personable and active lionfish.

Fu manchus, if I remember correctly, can be very difficult to feed. Radiated and Antennata lionfish, Pterois radiata and P. antennata, are easier to keep.

I would actually regard dwarf fuzzy lionfish as the most personable and active lionfish.

Fu manchus, if I remember correctly, can be very difficult to feed. Radiated and Antennata lionfish, Pterois radiata and P. antennata, are easier to keep.

Yes have to agree here as far as I know Fu manchus hide most of the day, the Pterois Russelli and Pterois Radiata are more active and usually seen during the day, and a lot easier to feed. the Pterois Radiata grow larger than the dwarf and are very pretty :drool:

Most reactions

Back