New Kribensis Setup

thezodiac

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
okay guys so i have a previously cycled tank (moved other fish) and redisgend it a bit
10 gallon tank, 50 watt heater, aquaclear 20 filter

before:
20120330225727.jpg

current pic
20120403190653.jpg

anyways all the plants in the tank currently are live. put in the 2 terra cotta pots for "caves"
and the driftwood to lower ph (and like how it looks)
(bought some Salvinia which is on the way, thought a floating plant would be a nice touch)

(i'll post pictures of the fish themselves later, have a male and female, but they are being shy because they were just introduced to the tank)

basically just looking for opinions, and ideas on how i can improve my tank ?
(lets try to keep this constructive)
thanks

When my apistos were in my tank, which I assume are similar enough to Kribs, I notcied that they used the terracotta pots that I made openings in. Instead of the ones I just tipped over.

I spent forever looking for a good pic, and my light is on a timer and is off...
20120305132602.jpg

See the opening? I took a flat tipped screwdriver and a hammer and tapped a hole. The pots are cheap so maybe try it out? Then I just took a regular nail file and rubbed all the new edges so they wouldn't be sharp.

After that my apistos were in and out of the caves all the time :) Plus I like the look of the pots that way. Look at the tank of the month section. Westwood's tank has a pot like this and it's cute :)

Great tank BTW!

When my apistos were in my tank, which I assume are similar enough to Kribs, I notcied that they used the terracotta pots that I made openings in. Instead of the ones I just tipped over.

I spent forever looking for a good pic, and my light is on a timer and is off...
20120305132602.jpg

See the opening? I took a flat tipped screwdriver and a hammer and tapped a hole. The pots are cheap so maybe try it out? Then I just took a regular nail file and rubbed all the new edges so they wouldn't be sharp.

After that my apistos were in and out of the caves all the time :) Plus I like the look of the pots that way. Look at the tank of the month section. Westwood's tank has a pot like this and it's cute :)

Great tank BTW!

yeah im trying to decide how long i should leave my timer running currently.

and yeah ive seen pots done that way before, thinking ill see if they use them as is, and if not then ill try that method.

thanks =) i like the look a lot more then the previous. more aesthetically pleasing and functionally

use coconut caves or cichlid stones they work alot better .... kribensis are cave spawners and prefer a tight gap in there cave to feel safe and secure enough to breed without the possiblity of preditors coming and eating there young ..... if you want ideas for breeding setups then check out My YouTube Channel for videos

i have been having some aggression issues.

the larger krib has been pickin on the smaller one quite a bit. is this normal behavior? is it possible that its just because they are "settling in"

any suggestions

the larger krib has been pickin on the smaller one quite a bit. is this normal behavior? is it possible that its just because they are "settling in"

any suggestions

isit the male by any chance ? will be bullying her into breeding possibly ..... one thing i do in this case is stick a mirror to one side of the tank .... diverts his attention to this ..... but also a possiblity that they need to bond more ...... if you leave the female in the tank and remove the male to another tank then let the female claim it as her territory then introduce the male a week later it will be her in control ... hope it helps

any suggestions

isit the male by any chance ? will be bullying her into breeding possibly ..... one thing i do in this case is stick a mirror to one side of the tank .... diverts his attention to this ..... but also a possiblity that they need to bond more ...... if you leave the female in the tank and remove the male to another tank then let the female claim it as her territory then introduce the male a week later it will be her in control ... hope it helps

i havent read enough about sexing yet. the one doing the bullying i larger in size, and its top fin is a lot longer, like it reaches to the end of its tail fin.

here is a video if that helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHSctzx8dI&context=C486cf73ADvjVQa1PpcFMFlTik3TH26Dei7yArVAr503N2mn-2cZQ=

ythey will do little chases like this for a while , then seperate, then do it again, and sometimes they will chill next to eachother for a bit, then the bigger one starts up again.

does this look like coaxing into mating, or shoudl i try separating the male for a while ?

alsoif necessary how long do you think id have to separate the male for ?

yup id seperate then now and leave the female in there give it a week and introduce the male slowly say in a breeding net etc or do the mirror on the side of the tank, but there isnt any hiding places in your tank in which the female can run and hide .... turn the pots upside down and make a hole in the side or top either that or idealy 3-4 coconut caves spread out evenly otherwise that male may end up killing the female

yup id seperate then now and leave the female in there give it a week and introduce the male slowly say in a breeding net etc or do the mirror on the side of the tank, but there isnt any hiding places in your tank in which the female can run and hide .... turn the pots upside down and make a hole in the side or top either that or idealy 3-4 coconut caves spread out evenly otherwise that male may end up killing the female

thanks a lot for all the helpful answers btw.

the 30 gallon im moving him into has fish like guppies and a bolivan ram and some tetra. so im thinking ill have to put him in an empty breeding net when i keep him in that tank, for abuot a week, then put him back in the 10 gallon for a few days then back into the tank ?

and yeah the pot in the left side ive now set up like that. thinking ill pick up some coconut caves and add them in. ( dont wanna completely fill the tank though

the 30 gallon im moving him into has fish like guppies and a bolivan ram and some tetra. so im thinking ill have to put him in an empty breeding net when i keep him in that tank, for abuot a week, then put him back in the 10 gallon for a few days then back into the tank ?

and yeah the pot in the left side ive now set up like that. thinking ill pick up some coconut caves and add them in. ( dont wanna completely fill the tank though

yes should be fine another thing to consider in there breeding tank would be some dither fish to keep them distracted .... well kribensis boitype usualy consists of very fine sand as they are natural diggers and sift through the sand for food or to make caves, and dense wooded area ..... so lots of small bits of bogwood and hiding places and caves etc and soft water also alot of leaves like oak and almond leaves on the floor

yes should be fine another thing to consider in there breeding tank would be some dither fish to keep them distracted .... well kribensis boitype usualy consists of very fine sand as they are natural diggers and sift through the sand for food or to make caves, and dense wooded area ..... so lots of small bits of bogwood and hiding places and caves etc and soft water also alot of leaves like oak and almond leaves on the floor

considering how small the tank is, possibly 3 neon tetras with them? ive heard they are supposed to be fast enough to no get eaten.

have some floating plants on the way, and will add in other plants as well. no one around here sells bogwood, but i can get more driftwood

considering how small the tank is, possibly 3 neon tetras with them? ive heard they are supposed to be fast enough to no get eaten.

have some floating plants on the way, and will add in other plants as well. no one around here sells bogwood, but i can get more driftwood

neons are ok but thing with them is you need to keep them in groups of 6 or more ....... personaly i use pencil fish

neons are ok but thing with them is you need to keep them in groups of 6 or more ....... personaly i use pencil fish

ended up going with 5 zebra danio, very small prob about an inch. but pretty quick so they shoudl be able to get away.
the female seems less shy with them around and ventures out to look at them (only seen her try to nip at one once, but they are way too fast for her to catch)

ended up letting the male loose in my 30 gallon tank, and no issues so far, seems like hes enjoying all the swimming room. (no aggression yet. have peppered corry, phantom tetra, 3 guppy, and a bolivian ram)

trying to decide if i should leave the male in that tank, or try moving him back after a week

ended up going with 5 zebra danio, very small prob about an inch. but pretty quick so they shoudl be able to get away.
the female seems less shy with them around and ventures out to look at them (only seen her try to nip at one once, but they are way too fast for her to catch)

ended up letting the male loose in my 30 gallon tank, and no issues so far, seems like hes enjoying all the swimming room. (no aggression yet. have peppered corry, phantom tetra, 3 guppy, and a bolivian ram)

trying to decide if i should leave the male in that tank, or try moving him back after a week

you could always move the female there after a while aswel as if its a bigger tank then there should be more places to hide etc but its upto how you go from here on all i can do is advise :) but glad things are on the up

you could always move the female there after a while aswel as if its a bigger tank then there should be more places to hide etc but its upto how you go from here on all i can do is advise :) but glad things are on the up
\
to be honest its not really something that i would be opposed to. really trying to decide what i want to do right now. im really considering switching my 30 gallon from sand to gravel, but that would be a big undertaking. the only issue is, if they breed in that tank i have a feeling that they may kill some of the other fish due to aggression. not to mention i dont have anything to do with the fry unfortunately

Most reactions

Back