New Juwel Fish Tank With No Filter

danb

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, ive had a jewel rio 240 up and running now for just over a month, i have to date, 7 neon tetras, 6 glowlight tetras, 2 black widow tetras 6 zebra danios and 2 sliver shark. i have been given a juwel vision 180 with no filter or heater. What filter/heater would you recomend for this tank? i would like an external filter; i am looking to keep discus and denisson barbs in this tank and maybe even breed the discus years down the line.

I have no plants in my current tank and Curiosity101 is kindly helping me with that, im looking at getting some amazon sword plants for both tanks, will this be okay for the discus/barbs?

Thanks,
Danny

Hi, ive had a jewel rio 240 up and running now for just over a month, i have to date, 7 neon tetras, 6 glowlight tetras, 2 black widow tetras 6 zebra danios and 2 sliver shark. i have been given a juwel vision 180 with no filter or heater. What filter/heater would you recomend for this tank? i would like an external filter; i am looking to keep discus and denisson barbs in this tank and maybe even breed the discus years down the line.

I have no plants in my current tank and Curiosity101 is kindly helping me with that, im looking at getting some amazon sword plants for both tanks, will this be okay for the discus/barbs?

Thanks,
Danny

anyone any suggestions please?

The TetraTec EX series are excellent filters - for that tank I'd say the EX1200 for maximum filtration. I hear Eheima are also good but have had no experience of them myself.

a bit off topic here, but you should think about re-homing the silver sharks, they really need to be in a shoal, and a decent shoal will easily out grow your tank.

whats your water like? discus really prefer soft, acidic water.

as for filtration, a lot of people swear by eheim, but most externals are pretty good these days, as long as it turns over enough water then the only thing you need to think about is your budget

I have an Eheim 2215 on my 30 gal and it's a great filter. Been running over 6 years with no trouble at all. It has no self prime function so you have to suck the tubes to prime it, but apart from that, it's nearly silent ( mine is in my bedroom ) very simple to set up and easy to look after in general.

If you have the money: EHEIM
If you are limited financially: Tetra

either one should be around the 1200lph mark

EDIT: just to add, i have an tetratecex1200 on my 30gallon, its quiet and a good basic design, however sometimes i wish i would have brought an Eheim- save the green hoses and pipes that is.

a bit off topic here, but you should think about re-homing the silver sharks, they really need to be in a shoal, and a decent shoal will easily out grow your tank.

whats your water like? discus really prefer soft, acidic water.

as for filtration, a lot of people swear by eheim, but most externals are pretty good these days, as long as it turns over enough water then the only thing you need to think about is your budget

Thanks for the reply, well my ph normally sits around 6.8 but would get api product to keep it at 6.5 for the discus. The silver sharks seem pretty happy just the two of them, hopefully be one male an one female they seem to be together alot of the time. I was thinking of getting the tetratec ex700 for my 180 litre tank. Would this be sufficient? based on me hopefully having denison barbs and discus? or would it be better for me to get the 1200 or just go for the eheim ?

It doesnt matter if the silver sharks seem fine just the two of them, they need a tank that is nearly 3x bigger than yours, 6ft x 2ft x 2ft minimum (680L)

Regarding filters, as adandrews said, if money is no object then go for an eheim they are the dogs nuts, tetratec models are good too, as are rena. Stay away from the fluval externals, they arent as reliable as their internal brothers.

Also, its not advised to use any chemicals to alter your PH, it usually does more harm than good.

Andy

It doesnt matter if the silver sharks seem fine just the two of them, they need a tank that is nearly 3x bigger than yours, 6ft x 2ft x 2ft minimum (680L)

Regarding filters, as adandrews said, if money is no object then go for an eheim they are the dogs nuts, tetratec models are good too, as are rena. Stay away from the fluval externals, they arent as reliable as their internal brothers.

Also, its not advised to use any chemicals to alter your PH, it usually does more harm than good.

Andy

Okay, i think ill go for the tetratec or eheim then. Thanks

Some people also put a small bag or stocking filled with peat into one of the filter media compartments/baskest ect. Peat naturally acidifies the water. It would also leach some tannins which would stain the water a sort of pale brown/tea colour, but that's normal and actually quite natural for fish who live in acidic waters.

Most reactions

Back