New here need advice

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zard

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the forum but not new to keeping fish. My experience though was not recent and all my knowledge of the equipment involved is completely outdated.
I have no fish or tank or equipment right now. That is why I am hoping for advice on fish tanks, filtration, etc.
I'm thinking of a tank between 30G and 55G. Not more than 55G. Even possibly small than 30G but not much smaller.
So my first question to all you of experienced in the modern aquariums and equipment is: which tanks are the best quality? Are there some glass that are more clear?
More scratch resistant? Do some distort the image? Do some have greenish colour? I don't know... Maybe silly questions but wanna cover all the angles.
I know everyone will say filtration is more important than the tank. I get it. But I am asking first about tanks.
Also, are kits these days a good option?

Thanks!
Zard

Ive heard the fluval fish tanks are good quality but they are expensive. I just bought mine from petsmart and i have had no problems or scratches.

Hi Zard, I have mostly 20-30 year old tanks but I did just buy a 55 gallon tank from Petco to replace my old 55 gallon tank. It is an Aqueon and it seems well put together and solid, It is a glass tank. I also started over a few years ago after several years of no fish and have replaced most of my old equipment. I would suggest a 55 gallon if you have the room because it gives you more options. If you want to go smaller a 20 gallon long is a good choice. It is easier to maintain but gives you a wider range of fish then a 20 tall.

There is crystal glass which give better clarity and is useful for planted tank.
They are more expensive and heavier.

There is also acrylic which won't break like the glass and lighter in weight but it will get scratches easily.

Some will go for low iron glass.

Anyway, buy according to your budget and like.

There is crystal glass which give better clarity and is useful for planted tank.

There is also acrylic which won't break like the glass and lighter in weight but it will get scratches easily.

Anyway, buy according to your budget and like.

Nice informational post, good work:good:

For filtrations, if you want the most convenience and easiest to maintain, you can try:
1)Hang on filter or
2)Top filter/Overhead filter.

If you are considering hang on filter, for a tank of 30gallons or bigger, it's better to have two filters.
Put one on the left and one on the right. These will cover your whole tank adequately and for more effectively filtrations.

Here are more info:

Thank you for this. This video answers my question about tank clarity. I want above all to be able to see with perfect clarity
these beautiful fish and their environment.

For test kits, you can consider some of these:

1)Ammonia test kit by API
This will be useful when you first starting your tank as your ammonia may be high.

2)GH & KH test kits by API, TDS meter.
These will be useful if you are into shrimps keepings or breeding some specific fish that need very soft water.
If not, then you don't really need these.

But before considering your fish selections, you will need to know your tap water GH, pH.
You can find them from your water company website or anyone in your area who have tested the water.

If not, you can buy the GH, KH tester by API. But probably will be a waste as you may only use it a few times.

But now, where to find low iron tanks?

Search the internets. There might be plenty.
As I am not from your country, I can't provide much info for you.
In my country, I can easily find them even from my nearby local fish store.

The crystal or low iron are nice and still cheap in my country as we have local manufacturers.
They will be more expensive in your country.
But check the internets first.

My tank has a front made from low iron glass - in the UK it's called optiwhite glass made by Pilkingtons. If you really want a tank made from low iron glass and don't mind paying more, are their any companies which make custom built tanks near you? Mine is custom built and I had the option of optiwhite or standard glass for the front.

Is this a good choice?

Is this a good choice?

I've have a 5g Fluval Spec kit running for a betta almost 3 years without issue. The compartment for the filter pump is small, though. Still there was room for a heater or extra filter/ bio media.
All the Fluval kits look good to me, but a bit more expensive. They rarely go on sale. I would go for the best you can afford for a 50+ gallon for sure.
Although the others may work perfect, these tanks have a neat design and detailing. Thus the more expensive price tag. ; )

Last edited:
Is this a good choice?

Fluval products are usually good but come at high price.

Their filter is good but I don't like it because you can't change it as you like.
Probably you have to buy their replacement parts/filter media in future when you need to change it.
But usually you don't replace the filter medias unless they really break down.

Anyway, it's good.

OK. Thanks for ALL the responses all you nice people have given. But update: I think i would like more of a 30G-55G tank. So I am still looking for advice.

Most reactions

Back