New Guy

rich72h

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here. Ive been a fish tank fan for years so thought id get in on the action. I used to keep coldwater fish a few years ago but I left them and the tank to my mother-inlaw. About a year ago I bought a Roma 90L tropical tank. It houses 5 golden barbs, 5 harlequins, 1 male betta, a algieater that am not sure what kind it is, and I know a lot of people will hate me but I also have 2 parrot fish aswell. Please dont hate me too much.

Well thats my babies please feel free to comment and I will try add a pic soon

Hi here is a pic as promised. I appologise about the photo quality.
20121227_200216.jpg

Welcome to the forums and nice tank :3

Welcome to the forums and your tank looks lovely. If you could provide a picture of the algae eater I may be able to identify what species it is.

Hey Rich, welcome to the forums ^^

Everyone has their own tastes and preferences, we do have some people here who also like blood parrots so you wont be alone ;) The only thing I would say is just keep an eye out that they're not too boisterous for your betta, and parrots also get pretty big so you may have to look at getting them an upgrade in the future too :)

They are ok the now bignore my spelling im not the best)t can be a bit teratorial. A sort of made a boob when a bought the pair from my local pet shop. I bought them and when I had them in my tank I done some research on them and found out what people do to them. I didnt even know you could do that to a fish. You cant blame the store owner they are only running a business for the public needs. I was gonna take them back to the store but at the end of the day wether they are man made or not they are still fish and you just cant get rid off them regardless (personal opinion) so thats why I decided to keep them. Sorry to rabbit.the only question is how big do they get? Ive had them for 3 months and they are already 3 to 4 inches each? And also how well would a betta cope in a biorb as ive done a lot of research and I want to get him out of the tank before he loses his fins or worse.
Hi fish crazy al get you a pic of my algae eater as soon as he is very eficiant ive got to say

Cheers folks please ignore my spelling aha

As I said, everyone has their dislikes and their likes, and at least they'll have a better life with you
good.gif
It's really the dyed ones you need to avoid, such a cruel practice.

Betta do best in tanks of between 5-10 gals, heated and filtered. As long as there are plenty of things to occupy him in the tank, (plants, hiding places, things to explore) a biorb should be fine. I would modify the filtration system though personally- take out the undergravel filter and put in an internal; much more effective
smile.png
If you got him a 35 ltr bio orb, you could keep him and some ammano shrimp quite happily
smile.png

Parrots can grow to between 8-10 inches, and are quite chunky fish. And you rabbit on all you like :D It's what we're here for!

Hi fish crazy here is a pic off my handy algae eater hes great.

And fish addict would I be better just getting a smalltropical tank for the betta instead of a biorb? I was thinking of getting a tank for a male betta and couple of females, would this work?

20121229_141810.jpg

Looks like a golden algae eater to me, you need to keep an eye on this guy as he gets older. They tend to loose interest in algae and will latch onto deep body fish and suck the slim coat off of them. They're brilliant looking critters, but aren't great for general community set ups.

For a betta I would go with something like the Fluval Ebi, or if you want something cheaper then the Superfish Quibe 40ltr is another very nice little tank a little less expensive. Never keep male and female betta together. Males are too aggressive to be kept with females, and will hound the females often to the point where they die from stress or injury. Never keep males together either. I would go with a male betta and a group of shrimp in a planted environment
good.gif

Beware- shops will often tell you that male and female betta can be kept together no problem, but it really isn't the case. I've tried it out of curiosity, and once my male reached maturity he turned too stroppy and so has been separated.

Flute, (Fish Addict) beat me to it. This thread only just came up in my Content!

He's a real beauty :good:

Most reactions

Back