New Guy

bambam507

Reaction score
Hello,

I semi retired from one expensive habit/hobby (car audio competition )and looks like I'm diving into this one.Freshwater Never had a tank myself, but have always wanted one. last weekend I picked up a 55 gal tank.

I have been reading a lot in the beginners section and it looks like Im doing a lot wrong. lol. I am on well water my alkalinity is very high color isnt on the test strip decoder. and the ph is just off the chart as well. everything else I was told looks good. on Monday took water sample in and was told my ph is at 8.3 or 8.5 cant remember.

Would rather not add up or down to tank after hearing how much of a pain it is to chase. So I think I will be staying where I am at and running a North African tank.

So last Friday I filled 4 totes with tap water (well water) Picked up used tank Sunday off classified add. Cleaned tank with vinegar and water mix using paper towels and old credit card to remove the previous hard water stains / creep. Added room temp degassed water to tank, added stress coat and a additive local shop suggested to help bring up natural bacteria. Sunday mon water stayed same (according to test strips) Monday picked up three giant Danios. Water at 77 Deg f. I wanted to know if my water or the tank was bad befor I added substrate .... Added 60lbs of sand and few hand fulls of medium round substrate. After the sandstorm settled lol Dont recommend adding sand with almost full tank lol

Picked up new cover new Marine land double led light that I am exchanging for single tonight due to not having any plants in future. Air stone, filtration set up that Im not sure after reading reviews if i want to keep. the API nexx Aquarium FILTER have been told it lacks proper circulation and result growth in supply and return tubes.

What do you recommend for exchange of water per hour? have been told 4-5 times per hour on a 55 gal. Currently am only at 2.4

Few pics of my boring start to tank. :fun:
I plan on cleaning up hoses and wires shortly .

2012-03-25_21-20-56_476.jpg

During the sandstorm (after adding sand substrate to full tank)
2012-03-27_22-04-41_553.jpg

After the sand storm cleared.
2012-03-29_10-32-02_189.jpg

Why do you not want any plants?

They look beautiful and they are highly beneficial to your fish as a whole. You should consider it. Plants saved my fish and tank.

What test kit are you using?

Honestly, I wish I used sand...it looks so nice! Although a rough start (not as rough as mine...hard to believe right) you seem to be heading in the right direction :lol:

Keep posting up pictures. I wanna see what you end up with!

Also what fish are you planning on keeping?

welcome to the forum :good:

good tank size to start with or just in general come to think of it

I would love to do plants , just have been informed that Cichlids destroy plans live or realm and alot of places i have been browsing didnt look to like the PH but saw pinned post about plants for north african tanks :good: I am interested in doing plants. also interested in other fish helping filter n keep the tank balanced like clams, shrimp, PLeco . but not sure they like the properties of the North African.

Kinda pushed towards North African bc its where my water naturally rests(so far).

Testing have just been the basic test strips and yea.... tonight going in to get an actual test kit to get more accurate readings.

besides fish that like the 8 ish PH level I havent really decided yet.

Yea I like the tank size but my living room makes the tank look small :unsure: . living room is 23ftx18ft with vaulted ceilings.

Oh yea I have seen on here recommendations for hours to keep light on. :unsure: uhm have had my light on since tuesday. during day white/blue l.e.d.'s at night time just blue. Is this bad? or for tank jsut starting is it good to get the bacteria going? or will only grow algae?

Cant keep myself out of the fish store . blah lol. So went in tonight and they wont have full test kits till next week. So might start digging else where or another shop. They did a full test on my water

PH 8.3
no2 10
no3 0
nh3 .5
gh 75
cl 0
kh 300

He said my tank must be mid cycle and is safe to add fish? So i picked up a few more fish

1.) Feather fin Catfish
1.)Peacock Cichlid
1.) Hap Moorei Cichlid

and picked up a chunk of lace ...rock?

2012-03-29_19-42-26_271.jpg

2012-03-29_19-43-24_572.jpg

2012-03-29_19-43-43_381.jpg

2012-03-29_19-44-17_105.jpg

2012-03-29_19-44-50_726.jpg

2012-03-29_19-44-54_575.jpg

Catfish
2012-03-29_19-45-44_595.jpg

2012-03-29_19-46-19_773.jpg

I think no2 is ammonia. If so oh god! 10 ppm of ammonia. I'm surprised your fish are even alive no offense. I'd do a 90% w/c right away then daily 50% changes after that. your in a fish-in cycle right now. Don't add any more fish. Another alternative is take back the fish you have and do a fishless cycle.

I think no2 is ammonia. If so oh god! 10 ppm of ammonia. I'm surprised your fish are even alive no offense. I'd do a 90% w/c right away then daily 50% changes after that. your in a fish-in cycle right now. Don't add any more fish. Another alternative is take back the fish you have and do a fishless cycle.

No, no2 is nitrite and Nh3 is ammonia. Still just as bad and the same action required though! Bam bam, you've already had terrible advice from your fish shop so exercise caution in future and don't rush into purchases, fish really shouldn't be exposed to the levels in your tank. You need to be doing huge daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite to 0 or take your fish backl to the store and fish less cycle your tank!

I have started current thread at

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/393118-new-guy-here/page__gopid__3304248#entry3304248

thank for the help

Most reactions

Back