New Goldfish Set Up

Michelleuk

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

My sister would like to set up a small goldfish tank, which would be low manitenace.

Can a goldfish live without a filter in the tank. How often would you need to change the water?

thanks

Depends on which type of goldfish a fancy goldfish 15 gallon tank for the first one.
Common goldifish need 20 gallon, then 10 gallon for every other goldfish added.
Double the filter size to the tank as they are massive waste producers.
You need to read up on cycling a tank, maintance, and care.

Goldfish yes need filters.
Also a heater even though they are cold water fish best to keep the temp stable.

single-tail GF need 20GPF or more..Double-tails need 10GPF or more the better. Goldfish are messy and most deff need filters. it's best to find a filter that will push over 2 x's what the tank gallons are. A 20 g tank would be great for 2 small double-tail GF for now. Theres really no such thing as a low maintenance GF tank. GF need water changes every week of atleast 50%. Filters intakes should be cleaned often as nasties like to grow and could cause sick fish. Take care of your water and the water will care for your fish. The tank will also need to be fully cycled before adding fish. This will prevent fish loss and disease. Heaters aren't needed because they are a cold-water fish. Heaters are good to have in the tank in-case of a Ich outbreak. Then you could turn it on to do treatment. You can also leave the heater to 72 degrees if you are going to have it on at all times.

Heaters are not needed in a 'cold water tank' If you do heat the water this could lead a out-break of disease etc..
2 goldfish normal/fancy (its doesnt matter which one) could live in a 10 gallon but it will stunt their growth but they won't be majorly affected. You can also cheap goldfish filters for about 3 pounds +. But expect what you pay for!

Heaters are not needed in a 'cold water tank' If you do heat the water this could lead a out-break of disease etc..
2 goldfish normal/fancy (its doesnt matter which one) could live in a 10 gallon but it will stunt their growth but they won't be majorly affected. You can also cheap goldfish filters for about 3 pounds +. But expect what you pay for!

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with these statements. Heating water in a goldfish tank will not lead to a break out of disease. You are better to keep a heater in your tank in case you need to treat disease as stated in another post on this topic. Comets and other "common" goldfish can stand a little cooler water than "fancy" goldfish. I keep my fancies at 72 degrees. From what I have read on the subject, cooler temps on the fancies make them not quite as active as they would be in warmer water.

Also 2 normal or fancy goldfish will not do well in a 10 gal. Normal goldfish will get anywhere from 12 + inches and most fancies will get to 9 inches or more. Pearlscales will top out at about 6 inches. Keeping goldfish in a 10 gal. will stunt their growth. How can than not majorly affect them when their insides will keep growing after their length is stunted??
Tammy

ive got 3 fantails that are at least 6 inches in body length and they are in a pond. space matters when young as this is the biggest growing time allowing the finnage to develop... if you cant afford anything more than 10 gallons then seriously stick to white cloud minnows

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with these statements. Heating water in a goldfish tank will not lead to a break out of disease. You are better to keep a heater in your tank in case you need to treat disease as stated in another post on this topic. Comets and other "common" goldfish can stand a little cooler water than "fancy" goldfish. I keep my fancies at 72 degrees. From what I have read on the subject, cooler temps on the fancies make them not quite as active as they would be in warmer water.

Also 2 normal or fancy goldfish will not do well in a 10 gal. Normal goldfish will get anywhere from 12 + inches and most fancies will get to 9 inches or more. Pearlscales will top out at about 6 inches. Keeping goldfish in a 10 gal. will stunt their growth. How can than not majorly affect them when their insides will keep growing after their length is stunted??
Tammy

I was ment to say (2 goldfish normal/fancy (its doesnt matter which one) could live in a 10 gallon but it will stunt their growth but they will be majorly affected) -I dont know why I put 'wont' instead of 'will'. However, I do dissagree with you on the heater issue If goldfish are left in tropical conditions they are more susceptable to disease. Treating the disease in warm water might be much more effective but in the long run they are 'cold water' fish.

Hm i would actually say that people's estimate's for minimum goldfish tank side are even a little on the low side- non-fancy/slim-type goldfish like comets and commons can grow to 15inches+, i wouldn't start out with anything smaller than a 100gallon tank. With fancy goldfish, they vary a great deal in max size. Aat the smaller end there are bubble eye goldfish which only grow to 5inches, and at the larger end there are veiltail and fantail goldfish which can grow to 10inches+ . Personally, if you just had a pair of bubble eye goldfish i would advise setting up a 15gallon tank, but if you went for a larger variety of fancy goldfish i would advise starting out with at least a 35-40gallon tank for a pair (its best not to kept goldfish on their own as they do enjoy the company of their own kind). But a lot obviously depends a lot on the tanks measurements as well- some tanks are longer and wider than others, and these are the best for goldfish.

There isn't really such thing as a small low maintanence goldfish tank- all goldfish produce a lot of waste and so need very well maintained and properly filtered tanks, goldfish also live a very long time (20-30years or more if well looked after) and so are quite a commitment as far as fish go. But if you're really into these fish (they really are great fish BTW :) ), then they are well worth to effort and proper care etc- goldfish are actually surprisingly intelligent fish (as are most fish in the carp family) and are very friendly and inquisitive fish :thumbs: .

With the heater thing, here's my take on this: oxygen dissolves less in water the warmer its temperature is. Goldfish need lots of oxygen to thrive, so the main drawback of keeping the tank temp warm is that you will need to aerate it a lot more for the goldfish to continue thriving- but as long as the temp isn't really warm, then the goldfish should do fine. Fancy goldfish do best in sub-tropical temps (18-23 degree's C), while non-fancy goldfish thrive best in coldwater temps (18degree's C or colder)- the main reason for this is simply that fancy goldfish were always bred to be indoor fish, so have adjusted over their centuries of breeding to more indoor temperatures. But non-fancy goldfish were only kept indoors quite recently and have always been primarily pond fish, and don't do as well as the fancy varieties in warm temps because of this.

Quick changes in temperature can be more harmful/stressful to fish than really high or really low sustained temperatures- the benefit of heating a tank is simply that it will reduce quick fluctuations in temp- if the temp of the tank gets to warm the heater will simply turn itself off, but it will prevent the tank temp falling too low. As long as you place your goldfish tank in a good place in your house though, the temp shouldn't fluctuate much (particularly if the tank is rather large), so heating isn't really necessary for goldfish tanks, since fancy goldfish do tend to do very well at average room temperature and non-fancy goldfish tend to be more than hardy enough to get through any fluctuations in temperature (as long as such changes in temp are not really extreme, like the vast changes in temp seen in a glass conservatory room or greenhouse during night and day etc). In any case, it would be an unwise idea to stick a goldfish tank in front of a window due to the algae problems that many goldfish tanks are very prone too in such situations.
Regardless of whether you decide to heat your goldfish tank or not, its always important to make sure the tank is properly filtered to help maintain lots of movement on the waters surface (to help increase oxygen content in the water) and to deal with the large strain goldfish place on the bioload of a tank from all the waste they produce etc.

Most reactions

Back