New Girls!

Nova

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just thought you would like to see my 3 new girls! I got them yesterday at the petstore that I work at, I felt bad for them because they had been there for so long, since I started working there 2 months ago, no one wanted them! I finally bought them and brought them home, they were so stressed I had no idea what colors they were they just looked brown!

Come to find out they are all gorgeous little plakat girls, all 3 of them, 2 of them have traditional plakat coloring, and one is more greenish in color! Still no names yet! Here they are

DSC_0737.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0753-2.jpg

DSC_0771.jpg

DSC_0757.jpg

DSC_0758-1.jpg

They are all female too. Nice visible oviposters. Here in the uk it seems a bit of a lottery buying females from fish stores where you get a significant number of males hiding amongst them. I have been caught out twice with plakat females actually being male. I found the best way to sex them is the egg spot, no spot no sale.
Nice girls.

Oviposters don't say definite female. Young males have been known to have them too. Can you get flaring pictures of them all? Front on Flaring pictures? Cause the last 2 have very long ventral fins and the very last one looks to have quite the "beard" for a female
confused.gif

In fact, looking back the second female doesn't even look like a Splendens... Body is too long, ventrals are too angular and fins are very clean "cut" if you get me.

Paradise<3 said:
Oviposters don't say definite female. Young males have been known to have them too. Can you get flaring pictures of them all? Front on Flaring pictures? Cause the last 2 have very long ventral fins and the very last one looks to have quite the "beard" for a female :/
In fact, looking back the second female doesn't even look like a Splendens... Body is too long, ventrals are too angular and fins are very clean "cut" if you get me.
Oviposters arent a definative way to sex bettas, just the way I do it. Paradise<3 have you ever seen a female without one?
I agree the last two look very much like a Plakat male I had in my sorority by mistake. Mine was quite aggresive and had to go elsewhere, I have one at the minute who I am fairly sure is an interloper, long pectoral fins and no oviposter. This one shows none of the behaviour traits you would normally expect from a male, not a nest builder, very submissive and gets bullied by my youngest smallest female. Boy or girl this betta needs rehoming.

372xp said:
Oviposters don't say definite female. Young males have been known to have them too. Can you get flaring pictures of them all? Front on Flaring pictures? Cause the last 2 have very long ventral fins and the very last one looks to have quite the "beard" for a female
confused.gif

Oviposters arent a definative way to sex bettas, just the way I do it. Paradise<3 have you ever seen a female without one?
I agree the last two look very much like a Plakat male I had in my sorority by mistake. Mine was quite aggresive and had to go elsewhere, I have one at the minute who I am fairly sure is an interloper, long pectoral fins and no oviposter. This one shows none of the behaviour traits you would normally expect from a male, not a nest builder, very submissive and gets bullied by my youngest smallest female. Boy or girl this betta needs rehoming.

Yup I have.

Cool. I will try to upload a picture of one of mine with no oviposter and let me know what you think. My picture quality is always poor to bring the file in under 1k, cant get photobucket to work on tablet

Attachments

• Photo121.jpg
    Photo121.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 131
372xp said:
Cool. I will try to upload a picture of one of mine with no oviposter and let me know what you think. My picture quality is always poor to bring the file in under 1k, cant get photobucket to work on tablet

Can you email me the full quality picture because I can't tell from that one. Also, when it flares does the "beard" go all the way under the chin or is it just where the gills are?

I'm only seeing one picture and it's not the same one and no better quality :/

Ill answer this for myself as I cant work a computer properly. Full "beard" when flaring= male. Long pectoral fins= male. No oviposter= male
My verdict - Male
Now I have to find him a new home.

372xp said:
Ill answer this for myself as I cant work a computer properly. Full "beard" when flaring= male. Long pectoral fins= male. No oviposter= male
My verdict - Male
Now I have to find him a new home.

Well the true deciding factor there is the beard... If it goes all the way under the chin when flaring then yes it's male and females only have the "beard" where their gills are.

Most reactions

Back