New Fluval U Filters.

crazychris

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Has anyone bought one of these yet? Just wondered if they're as good as the old Fluval 2 or Fluval 2+. They look a bit complicated to clean from the pic I saw online. I have an old style Fluval 3 in my 3' tank. Can't see that lasting too much longer as it's 9 years old! Had a Fluval 2+ in my daughter's 2ft goldfish tank but the last goldfish died and then the filter's packed up, cable has bare wire. So didn't fancy a Fluval U2 so got Aqua-Flow 100. Quite like the spray-bar!

I've got one of the U3's and tbh I'm not overly impressed.

I would say that the flow isnt as good as the old 2+

What is good though is the maintenance aspect, the lid flips open to reveal 3 pull out sections. Its that eay, pull it out, rinse, replace. And they actually have a box containign bio-rings so you get a decent bacterial colony.

Its weird how you can have teh flow from the top or bottom or middle 'spray bar' but not a combination.

i have the 4, and hate them :crazy: , much prefer the old + range, easier to use .. get at for cleaning and add floss. i would get on ebay for a 2+, if it hadnt come with my tank i certainly wouldnt have bought one

Thanks. Yeah the original series were the best but the + ones are good too. The yellow "clogged" indicator never ever popped up on mine though, even when it slowed and was very clogged. Won't ever buy a U one then. Think I read they've only been in UK stores 5 or 6 weeks.

I've put them in a few tanks at work and think they are great, they have been very useful for setting up LFS tanks with very heavy stocking, and on a couple of tanks where there was no space for an external underneath, and a good flow rate was needed but without creating much turbulence.

Don't clog up very fast at all either, and the space for different types of media makes it very easy to just clone other filter and even use gravel from under gravel filters to do this.

I've been fairly impressed with them :good:.

Having said that, I still much prefer external filters on my tanks, if I had loads of spare cash floating around I would replace my Fluval + with Fluval U's, but the Fluval + still do an excellent job so I don't really want to replace them.

I also probably still prefer the original Fluval internals to the '+' models, but the flow clog indicator and the easier to clean sponges on the '+' models suit my laziness more.

i purchased a u3 a couple of weeks ago and i am impressed with the performance.
i have ripped out the polycarbon pad and just using poly pads cut to size and i have added a small packet of ammonia remover along with the biomax.
i bought it as an add on with my 205 and i am happy with both

i have been using the u4 for about 6 weeks, i cloned my old filter by putting some of my old ceramics in with the stuff that came with it, alltogether im impressed with its performance and ease of maintenance, i have a 4 plus and the u4 out of the two i am indecisive both have good points and their bad points,

Big fan. I have a U2 and a U3 in different tanks, and they both perform very well. Maintenance is an absolute joy due to being able to take the media out through the flip-top lid.

My only complaint is the short cable. Stop making me buy trailer bars, people!

Big fan. I have a U2 and a U3 in different tanks, and they both perform very well. Maintenance is an absolute joy due to being able to take the media out through the flip-top lid.

My only complaint is the short cable. Stop making me buy trailer bars, people!

I have the u3 and love it, the best change they have made is the introduction of the ceramic rings at last. Never had any problems with it, the flow is rated lower if you compare the 3+ with U3 though. I would got for the U series over the + unless you want cheap second hand off ebay?

andrew

Most reactions

Back