New Fishless Cycle (Have A Couple ?'s)

Well trying to understand the nitrogen cycle, playing with test kits, watching levels for this and that, it all takes me back to being a kid and playing with my chemistry sets. Of course the ultimate goal is to have a beautiful tank with healthy fish, but that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the knowledge and experience over the last couple of weeks. It's been a lot of fun!

A big thanks to rdd for his write-up and another to you for answering the random questions that have popped up. :good:

I'm a member on a couple of other fish/cichlid forums and this one has by far been the best. I barely even post on those others.

Day 2 has been updated on the water testing.....The only weird thing is that the HIGHPH is a color thats not even on the Color Chart that I am using. Yesterday when I tested the HIGHPH it was the dark purple.....today is a Rosey pink color. I hope this is ok....maybe bc its just way above the dark purple reading?

Im not going to fret about it....Ill keep testing just to make sure.

I have that same trouble with the API High pH test. Some day someone will talk to their tech support, I'm too lazy as my pH is low, lol. If the low pH test is at the top I just think of the pH as "high."

~~waterdrop~~

Hey all....I just updated Day 3 and Day 4!!! Seems like its going pretty fast for me so far!!! woohoo :hyper:

Updated Day 5.....Ammonia reached 0ppm and Nitrites are at 5.0+
Im hoping I added enough ammonia....I didnt want to over due it bc Im still learning the color chart....tryin to be as precise as possible!

Great progress so far Mounit. I wish the same were true of all members who come here. We need to keep helping those who do not have the obvious advantages that you enjoyed with your cycle. I will keep monitoring people who do not ave ideal outcomes for their cycle effort.They are by far the most common ones among our membership.

Just updated....Day 6, 7, and 8

Im getting bored with testing water already LOL I just want some FISH!! haha :shout:

Yes, just think of some of our cyclers who have gone over 100 days (there have been several!) They had to really be patient! Lots of interesting threads out there!

~~waterdrop~~

Just updated Days 9, 10, and 11
Nitrites are looking good......

Question....After the Nitrites move down to 0 mg....I continue to add Ammonia, and start checking the Ammonia level every 12hours to see if the cycle has been completed right?

Also....If you all could check out this other post I started Fish Suggestions (Click here)

I need some help with finding fish that will be fine in my tank =)

Thanks again sooooo much to everyone!! :good:

Yes, once the nitrites finally start to get processed by the N-Bacs, you will know that because they will drop all the way down to zero after 24 hours instead of staying at the highest test level. But then you will start to be able to see how slow (or fast) the progress can be (whereas during the nitrite spike the test just didn't allow you to see it) and you will see that it will keep taking 24,23,22 hours etc. Adding in the 12 hour test lets us see the progress, looking from the other direction. And it works out to just let the goal of reaching zero ppm nitrite at 12 hours be our trigger to start a "biofilter qualification week" where we watch our test results for a week to ensure that not even a trace of ammonia or nitrite show up at either of our 12 or 24 hour test sets, while we continue to add a full 5ppm ammonia dose daily. Make sense?

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back