New Fish

On planet catfish website go to the Pimelodidae section under catelogue
Then we think it is the Phractocephalus sp. hybrid.
Obviously not all hybrids look the same but from what i can gather, the reason for initiating this programme is for the fish as food. After seeing the results and them becoming increasing popular in the aquarium trade they are now being bred to be kept.
I am torn, because during the process many die or are deformed and discarded but then again, they are already in the shops and, like you, we are very into giving poorly homed fish a chance.
We would be interested to know how yours develops and wish you the best of luck.

What you don't realize is, if you're against this kind of thing and buy the fish out of pity or something because it's "already there," you only increase the demand for them. Sad as it may be, you must not buy the fish if you want the trade to stop, no matter how much it may be suffering in your eyes. In the long run you choose either to save one fish from "suffering" but you reinforce the demand for more.

Personally, I'm not against viable hybrids so I don't see a problem with them, except too few people who buy them can afford or realize the size of the housing they need.

I know what you mean. Thsi fish was bred for food anyway and it was only afterwards that they realised they might be good for aquariums. Anyway, we don`t disagree with this type of hybrid totally it`s just all the suffering the other fish went through to get this hybrid as it is today.
We fully appreciate the size tanks we need for our big fish and are on with the fish house already, although it is sad to see people that just get them small then either kill them when they get too big ( which we found is more common than we thought) or send them back to the shop where they are stuck in a tank for ages.
Clare

Most reactions

Back