New Fish

Bomag

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hello there everyone just to let you no what i got today a couple of new fish

1 x redtailed catfish/tiger shovel nose hybrid

1 x clarius catfish

they are bloody brill

sorry but just had to tel someone as i know you people are semi likely to be interested..
ps: does anyone please know the name please of the ugly bloke from1 notre dame please as have been told by g/f its really ugly..(clarius catfish)

any names you think of please for the hybrid catfish that i now own would also be good

Quasimodo is the guy's name.

I would have to see pics of the fish before I could name them. I bet they are both dolls :p

You are going to need a seriously big tropical pond!! :)

Personally I would never buy a hybrid, its not something I agree with, but Clarias batrachus are a good fish when you can cope with their aggression. Best of luck and keep us posted. :)

Watch out keeping the clarias with other fish, these little monsters have a nasty habbit of eating the fins right off of their tankmates while they are still alive, personally id never let one near any of my other fish.
RTCxTSN hybrids are lovely looking fish but like ryan not one id keep, these have the chance of reaching RTC sizes with a TSN mouth, scary combination since the fish will then be able to swallow tankmates its own size!!!!

In the trade the hybrid is called a yellow tail and you can expect it to reach 2ft within a year. I hope you are well prepared! We have a red tailed cat, we did have a yellow tail which sadly died, as hybrids often do. We are planning a tank MINIMUM 12ft x 4ft x 4ft. Red tail is only 4 inches at the moment.
Did they tell you what to expect when you bought the hybrid? EG size temprament?

I am curious to know, did you get your yellow tail locally or mail order? I have been looking for one to bring up with my red tail to go in my big big tank. It would have to be no bigger than 4 inches at the moment though.
The one we had that died grew twice as fast as the red tail!!!!

Clare said:
I am curious to know, did you get your yellow tail locally or mail order? I have been looking for one to bring up with my red tail to go in my big big tank.
I don't know where you are Clare, but my lfs has a redtail approx 3inches for £50. I'm really hoping he goes to a good home and I know someone like you would take good care of him.

We already have a red tail (in a very good home, thanks for that comment). We want a yellow tail which is a hybrid of the red tail and tiger shovel nose. We are putting the red tail in a 12ft x 5ft x 4ft tank with the pseudodoras niger, girraffe cats and Granulosis cats which are all growing to 3 ft in the end. We try our best with the fish but any help is appreciated. Hope the little red tail finds a good home.

Forgot to say, i live in Grimsby so we buy the majority of our fish from Wharf Aquatics in Pinxton. It is very sad to go into shops like we have done and see fish like red snake heads, electric catfish and pike cichlids mixed in with general community fish. Labelling can be terrible but Wharf is a great shop with loads of info and anything which may be a danger is ALWAYS kept in a seperate tank.

many thanks to everyone for there replys but yeah i know the trouble they could and might cause but the homes they came from were much worse eg: the tiger shovel nose cross redtail has been stuck in a two foot tank for all its life not good so all i could do was try and give it a good home.
as for Quasimodo he is such a nice looker and in time he will be going into a tank of his own.
he did not no much about the yellow tail but said he was going to get aggressive
and was going two get about 3ft although he did say the biggest he knew about at the present moment in captivity was one 18" long (dont know how much i belive that)
with the tropical pond it is hopefully going to be 12ft x 4ft x 4ft now with just the two fish in so hopefully he will fit in ok.
as some people know i do like a challenge and will like to keep these fish for a long time in a nice home.
a lot of my fish are rescue fish and have gone on to get very healthy and strong fish.
hope to chat soon to you all... :D
not saying anyone is right or worng but all i could see on the internet was listed under yellow tail was the below as quoted from google
The rearing of yellow-tail catfish (Pangasius pangasius) is a technology best suited to small- and medium-scale farmers

Planet catfish has the yellowtail listed and has some pictures. It is nice that you rescue your fish and that so many ended up fit and healthy through your dedication.
One thing with hybrids is the possibility that they could grow bigger than either of their parental strains.
Please tell me where you got the fish from though as i would be really interested in getting one.

i am sorry for being thick but cannot see anything on planet catfish that is the same under yellowtail like i say mine is a tiger shovel nose / red tail and have found other pictures on the web but under tiger hybrid/ marbled shovel nose

like i say not saying you are right or wrong just mine has no yellow on it either and the other people i know only know it as the above grateful for any more help if you supply email i can send you a picture

106Picture_019-med.jpg

this is the same as mine

Most reactions

Back